PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Newb needs help with blade selection

Jason Zahn
01-02-2016, 8:43 AM
Happy New Year All,

I am looking for some help selecting bandsaw blades.

I just ordered my first bandsaw, the Grizzly 0513anv, while it was on sale with free shipping. The saw takes a 131 1/2" blade from 1/8" to 1".

I am looking for help in selecting a couple of good quality blades. I'd like to get a good resaw blade for this saw, and was wondering what size/tpi, brand, etc. peolple would reccommend for that. The specs on the saw says it is rated at 2hp on the 220v electric.

Also, what are folks using for general bandsaw work, breaking down materials, ripping, curves, etc..

Is a general blade and a dedicated resaw blade enough, or should I be looking more towards 3 or so different sizes/configurations to get started?

Also, what is the likelihood that the saw will actually handle a 1" blade with good results, or should I be leaning more towards the 3/4" as my upper limit?

Thanks!

Bryan Cramer
01-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Congrats on your first bandsaw! Look in the latest Fine Woodworking for an article on bandsaw blades. A 3/8 6 tpi hook tooth blade is all you need for most curves and ripping from 1/2" to 2". A 1/4" 10 tpi blade handles tighter curves and 1/4" thick material. There are many good blades for re-sawing and everyone will have there own opinion and various applications. I have had good luck with a cheap 1/2" 3tpi hook tooth blade. In my opinion I wouldn't try to tension a 1" blade on that saw. A 3/4" or 5/8" would serve you well. Fine Woodworking also has other articles on bandsaw blades and I even think there is a book on bandsaws to help you set it up properly.

Erik Loza
01-02-2016, 12:19 PM
A 1/2" skip-tooth blade is my personal favorite for all-around use. Plenty of brands to choose from. Lenox, Olsen, etc. I've had good luck with Timberwolf blades.

Erik

Art Mann
01-02-2016, 12:34 PM
I used to use Timberwolf and they were very good. They had quality control problems for a while but they are probably back on track now. During the time when Timberwolf was having trouble, I tried a 3/4" Woodslicer resaw blade from Highland Woodworking on my Laguna saw. The metal is a little thinner than the Timberwolf and thus a little easier to tension properly. It works just as well as the Timberwolf but I haven't had it long enough to say how long it will last. I had a 1/2" Woodslicer on my Rikon 14" saw and it worked extremely well. I agree with previous posters that a 1" blade on that saw may be asking for trouble and I honestly don't believe your cut quality will be any better with it.

Jason Zahn
01-03-2016, 8:36 AM
Thanks all, you were most helpful. And, I'll check out the FWW article, too!

glenn bradley
01-03-2016, 8:51 AM
I've narrowed down to Timberwolf (http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php) and Woodslice (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-slicer-resaw-bandsaw-blade-custom-length.aspx)r blades for my G0513X. I run a 3/4" x 2-3 VPC Timberwolf for resaw, a 3/8" x 8 RK for general curves and a 1/2" Woodslicer for real thin veneer cuts or situations where I need the thinner kerf. I also have a 10" saw that I run a 1/4" Timberwolf on for quick cuts and roughing out templates so you may find the need for a thinner blade than the 3/8" mentioned above.

Mike Cutler
01-03-2016, 8:57 AM
Happy New Year All,
I am looking for some help selecting bandsaw blades.
I just ordered my first bandsaw, the Grizzly 0513anv, while it was on sale with free shipping. The saw takes a 131 1/2" blade from 1/8" to 1".
I am looking for help in selecting a couple of good quality blades. I'd like to get a good resaw blade for this saw, and was wondering what size/tpi, brand, etc. peolple would reccommend for that. The specs on the saw says it is rated at 2hp on the 220v electric.
Also, what are folks using for general bandsaw work, breaking down materials, ripping, curves, etc..
Is a general blade and a dedicated resaw blade enough, or should I be looking more towards 3 or so different sizes/configurations to get started?
Also, what is the likelihood that the saw will actually handle a 1" blade with good results, or should I be leaning more towards the 3/4" as my upper limit?

Thanks!

Jason
I have a Rikon 10-340 which is very close in spec's to that saw. It's setup to only do resaw work, and nothing else. I have a smaller Jet 14" for other bandsaw work.
I use a 1" Lennox Tri-Master, 2/3 varipitch blade for resawing. I won't say that your saw will handle that blade, but I think it will certainly handle a 3/4" blade. The blade to resaw will perform ripping.
I don't really know of a "general use" blade. Material thickness, hardness, cross cutting, or curvy type work, and acceptable level of cut quality, will all factor in to the blade selection, in both teeth per inch and tooth configuration. For "general type work" I would say that an 1/2", or 3/4", 8-10 TPI blade would be handy. A 1/4", 10 TPI wouldn't go unused. Scroll work with an 1/8" will depend on a few things.
There are many good books out there on bandsaws and blades. You will end up with more than a few blades for a bandsaw.

lowell holmes
01-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Check out this source of blades.

http://www.napgladu.com/downloads/catalogs/Canada%20Bandsaw%20Blades%202014.pdf

Jason Zahn
01-03-2016, 2:31 PM
Thank you all very much for all of the very useful information.

Jason Zahn
01-03-2016, 2:49 PM
I've narrowed down to Timberwolf (http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php) and Woodslice (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-slicer-resaw-bandsaw-blade-custom-length.aspx)r blades for my G0513X. I run a 3/4" x 2-3 VPC Timberwolf for resaw, a 3/8" x 8 RK for general curves and a 1/2" Woodslicer for real thin veneer cuts or situations where I need the thinner kerf. I also have a 10" saw that I run a 1/4" Timberwolf on for quick cuts and roughing out templates so you may find the need for a thinner blade than the 3/8" mentioned above.

Glenn, I PM'd you with a couple specific questions since you have the same saw...thanks.