PDA

View Full Version : Table of Stanley Planes?

Larry Frank
01-02-2016, 8:42 AM
I asked a question about what plane to use as a shooting plane. I got a lot of good responses. However, I now realize how little I know about the wide variation of planes.

It would be helpful to me to see a table that listed the Stanley planes along with things like length, width, weight, blade angle and other important characteristics. Is there a table somewhere that gives this information?

Nicholas Lawrence
01-02-2016, 8:50 AM
Google "blood and gore". The standard bench planes are numbered 3-8. The site is maintained by a tool dealer and has all of that information.

Bruce Haugen
01-02-2016, 8:50 AM
More than you asked for: Patick Leach's Blood and Gorehttp://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Patrick Chase
01-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I asked a question about what plane to use as a shooting plane. I got a lot of good responses. However, I now realize how little I know about the wide variation of planes.

It would be helpful to me to see a table that listed the Stanley planes along with things like length, width, weight, blade angle and other important characteristics. Is there a table somewhere that gives this information?

I actually linked to Blood and Gore (w.r.t. #9) in a post on your previous thread :-). As others say, use that.

Larry Frank
01-02-2016, 8:16 PM
Yes, thank you for the links. I had read the the links BUT ... I was looking for something in a table format. The pages and pages of the link have a vast amount of information...almost too much for me. I thought there might be something in a table format that make basic comparisons easy

Ken Parris
01-02-2016, 9:11 PM

Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book" comes the closest that I have seen. Look at page 96, it gives length, blade width, and weight. As well as how each plane is used. Bedding angle on the Stanley bench planes is 45 degrees. If you get the book and read it, you probably will know all about planes. The reference table mentioned is only for the bench planes, but the book covers all the planes Stanley and others made.

Ken

steven c newman
01-02-2016, 9:47 PM
Maybe a picture might help?
Left to right: Stanley #7c, #6c, #5-1/2,#5c, Millers Falls #14, #11, # 9, #8, and a Stanley (made inEngland) #4
The two above by themselves: Stanley made for Wards #3, Stanley #4 T-13...Plus an assortment of block planes

I used to have a Stanley #8c....was just too big for what I do. What you see here are my main bench planes.

don wilwol
01-03-2016, 8:22 AM
here is a comparison for Sargent and Stanley which may help.
http://www.timetestedtools.com/sargent-plane-sizes.html

and here is the same for Millers Falls
http://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/benchtable.htm

Both give Stanley equivalent so it may help.

Patrick Chase
01-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book" comes the closest that I have seen. Look at page 96, it gives length, blade width, and weight. As well as how each plane is used. Bedding angle on the Stanley bench planes is 45 degrees. If you get the book and read it, you probably will know all about planes. The reference table mentioned is only for the bench planes, but the book covers all the planes Stanley and others made.

Ken

+1 to the Handplane Book. That one helped me a lot when I was starting, though note that the table on p. 96 is limited to a subset of bench planes. For example it doesn't include the one that's arguably most directly relevant to the OP's original thread (#62).

On a related note, avoid Schwartz' Handplane "Essentials". That one is a bunch of magazine articles held together with a staple (OK, actually a proper binding, but you get the idea), and not so useful if you're looking for a coherent overview.