PDA

View Full Version : Serving tray

Lee DeRaud
09-06-2005, 1:47 PM
Consider this a "prototype": had some issues with the finish (documented elsewhere) and the joint in the bookmatched panel is opening up - guess the cocobolo needed more drying time after I resawed it.:(

Sides are wenge, feet are jarrah, handles are big drawer pulls from Rockler. Overall size about 12"x16".

Jeff Sudmeier
09-06-2005, 2:18 PM
Wow!! Even with your issues that really looks great.... It is too bad you ran into them, it is a really good looking peice.

Lee DeRaud
09-06-2005, 2:25 PM
Wow!! Even with your issues that really looks great.... It is too bad you ran into them, it is a really good looking peice.Thanks.:D

I've got three more of the panels glued up. I'll probably let them "age" a couple of weeks and then inlay a stripe of wenge (or whatever I'm using for the sides on that particular tray) down the seam...couldn't do that to this one because I didn't notice the problem until after the sides were glued on.:mad:

And I think I've gotten a handle on the finish problems, thanks to some good advice over in the finishing forum.

Jason Tuinstra
09-06-2005, 2:39 PM
Lee, I like it a lot! The handles add a nice look to the tray. Excellent job.

Roy Wall
09-06-2005, 3:09 PM
Lee,

The tray is terrific - nice work.

Jim Becker
09-06-2005, 3:12 PM
Beautiful! As to that cracking...when it stops, fill it with black epoxy, sand and re-finish. With a bit of care, you should be able to do that without too much problem.

Vaughn McMillan
09-06-2005, 4:24 PM
Very nice, Lee. I like what the stainless handles add to the overall look. Modern, but not sterile.

- Vaughn

Keith Burns
09-06-2005, 5:00 PM
Great looking piece (except for the crack http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.gif). I'm not an expert but was thinking (which I don't do enough of) if before glueing the cocobolo did you clean the surface with acetone to remove the oil ? Just a thought.

Kent Parker
09-06-2005, 5:07 PM
Beautiful tray!

I like the idea of filling the crack with black epoxy and re-finishing. I've used graphite power in epoxy with very results. Doesn't appear to affect the adhesive properties of the glue. Good use of a stock handle by the way.

KP

Jim Young
09-06-2005, 5:23 PM
The book mark pattern is mesmerizing.

Richard Wolf
09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Great looking tray. I really like the idea of the touch of sap wood. I have done this a few times myself and think it adds alot of interest. It really add to the contrast and beauty of the wood.

Richard