PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadian Amazon Shoppers out there?

Barry McFadden
01-01-2016, 10:37 AM
I have never bought anything off of Amazon but was wanting to get an extra lathe chuck so I wouldn't have to change jaw sets all the time. I was shocked to say the least at the difference in price between Amazon.ca and Amazon.com. Here's a couple of links to show what I'm talking about...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=oneway+talon+chuck

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=oneway+talon+chuck

The Amazon.ca prices are triple to five times the price that they charge at Lee Valley or Oneway as well as Amazon.com. So my question would be ....if you are in Canada would you shop at Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca...and anyone know why the prices would be so out of line on Amazon.ca?

glenn bradley
01-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Hmmm, is Canada still running a budget surplus instead of a debt? Maybe this is how they do it ;-)

Jay Jolliffe
01-01-2016, 11:50 AM
That is a big difference...Check your pvt messages

Grant Wilkinson
01-01-2016, 11:57 AM
There are a couple of things here. As often as not, you will find that when the same item is offered by .com and .ca, the .com seller will not ship to Canada. I checked the chuck that you linked to on the .com site. They will not ship it to Canada.

In the case of the chuck you show, the seller on the .ca site is someone called "hope fire". Who knows who they are, but clearly they are trying to rip people off. I buy quite a bit from .ca, but I try to limit my purchases to items that are sold and shipped by Amazon, not a third party. This is not always possible, but by keeping with Amazon as the shipper, I have had great experiences, including returns.

With the Cnd dollar tanking, you are better off buying the chuck either from Woodchuckers, LV or directly from Oneway. The best prices I got for mine, some time ago, were from Woodchuckers.

Jim Becker
01-01-2016, 3:36 PM
A third party seller using the Amazon "engine" as well as differences in exchange rate, duty/taxes, etc., will make for different pricing in Canada. I suspect that the third party seller is a key factor here. ;)

Barry McFadden
01-01-2016, 3:45 PM
A third party seller using the Amazon "engine" as well as differences in exchange rate, duty/taxes, etc., will make for different pricing in Canada. I suspect that the third party seller is a key factor here. ;)

I realise about the exchange rate and things like shipping ...but 300% to 500% more???

ken masoumi
01-01-2016, 6:33 PM
You can also try "All In One" wood tools of Oakville, they are selling the oneway Talon chuck for $219 CAD (http://allinonewood.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=558&category_id=9cae75651b3b921489c044bf929baeaa&PHPSESSID=ca906bb6b0f78f94e1851e25502dc004), it sounds like a good price .

ron david
01-01-2016, 7:01 PM
I realise about the exchange rate and things like shipping ...but 300% to 500% more???
that is why one should always check prices. it is always buyer beware
ron