PDA

View Full Version : LN Skew block plane VS rabbet block

Logan Wittmer
12-31-2015, 11:58 PM
Hi guys - Have a choice to make. Got the cash from my wife for Christmas, and trying to decide between the LN skew block plane, or the Rabbet block plane. Does anyone have any experience with both and have a suggestion on which is more useful?

Stanley Covington
01-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Hi guys - Have a choice to make. Got the cash from my wife for Christmas, and trying to decide between the LN skew block plane, or the Rabbet block plane. Does anyone have any experience with both and have a suggestion on which is more useful?

I have both. Difficult choice, one that depends on what block plane you already have in your stable, and what you plan to do with this new plane.

If you need to cut rabbets, and already have a block plane, then get the skew. If you don't have a block plane, get the rabbet.

The rabbet will do double duty as a regular block plane, which is how I am using mine now. An excellent tool. It works well as a rabbet plane, but without a skewed blade, adjustable mouth, or chipbreaker, it is not so hot for cross grain rabbets.

The skew was the first Lie-Nielson plane I bought back in 2000. It is a very useful rabbet plane, but it will not double as an effective block plane, in my experience. If you need to cut lots of rabbets on the end of boards, or cut raised panels, then the skew block plane would be a good choice.

Patrick Chase
01-01-2016, 1:04 AM

I mostly use LV/Veritas planes including their LH+RH skew block planes (which are very similar to the LN 140). Based on my experience with those and with historical straight-blade flush planes like the Rabbet block, I think Stanley hit the nail on the head: The skew planes are far better for rabbetting than the "rabbet block", but the rabbet block can substitute for a conventional block plane in a pinch while the skews can't.

Of course if you go the skew route you may soon find yourself coveting the opposite-handed version. It depends on how much long grain you work, as the advantage of having both is that you can choose your cutting direction to minimize tearout.

Al Weber
01-01-2016, 8:41 AM
I have both and the rabbet block gets more use than the skew. I like the rabbet because of its weight and feel.

Chris Hachet
01-01-2016, 9:14 AM
A second to the Rabbit vs the Skew.

lowell holmes
01-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I agree with Al and Chris, however, I would not consider doing without either plane. My mood changes and I want the plane that suits me at the moment.:)

Logan Wittmer
01-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys, Rabbet it is for now!