PDA

View Full Version : Adding receptacle plugs to junction box covers?

Gene Takae
12-31-2015, 8:22 PM
Hello all,
Doe to increased thefts in my area, I would like to install a wireless security camera system in my shop and around the house. While the video feed is wireless the cameras still require power. I have several junction boxes that are in close proximity to where I'd like to mount the cameras. I would like to use the type of receptacles sometimes found on bath and kitchen lights and install them on the covers of the junction boxes. They are high enough that the thieves won't be able to unplug the cameras but as a precaution I'm planning to secure the transformers with heavy cable ties. Is this idea feasible?

Thanks for your input,
Gene

Julie Moriarty
01-01-2016, 11:03 AM
If you're talking about GFI receptacles, you shouldn't need them if they are dedicated for the use of the camera only. As for securing the transformers, could you provide a picture or provide make and model of the equipment?

Chris Hachet
01-01-2016, 11:07 AM
If you're talking about GFI receptacles, you shouldn't need them if they are dedicated for the use of the camera only. As for securing the transformers, could you provide a picture or provide make and model of the equipment?

If they are exterior receptacles code requires them IIRC.

If possible, I would run a separate dedicated circuit for them. Much easier in a pole barn than in a 110 year old house, not certain of your situation. Not because of the amperage draw of the cameras, but if something on the general purpose circuit trips you will be without security and may not realize it for awhile.

Just my two cents.

John Donhowe
01-02-2016, 12:34 AM
By "transformer" I assume you are referring to a plug in power adapter (i.e. "wall wart"), typically used to power or charge low voltage devices, such as internet routers, dust busters, etc., and not a hard wired transformer, such as for doorbells (which screw onto a juntion box through a punch out hole). I'd think that zip ties could easily keep a wall wart from falling off the receptacle.

Setting aside the question of outdoor environment codes, you can buy junction box covers on which you can mount a standard duplex receptacle. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the volume of your junction box is enough to support a receptacle ("device") without violating code- IIRC, a device adds 2 conductors to a box volume calculation. If the box is too small, you can add an extension to increase volume.

Just my .02 (be aware that I am a reasonably talented and experienced DIYer, but not a licensed electrician) :p.

Gene Takae
01-03-2016, 1:24 AM
I think John interpreted my intention pretty well. I was trying to avoid using a regular duplex receptacle but may end up going that route. I couldn't find a pic of the single receptacle that I was hoping to use to make my idea more clear.

I found the receptacle I was hoping to use.
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_1374-1.htm My local home center has a un-grounded version as well. Much more compact than regular receptacles.

Brian Hood
01-03-2016, 8:08 PM
I think John interpreted my intention pretty well. I was trying to avoid using a regular duplex receptacle but may end up going that route. I couldn't find a pic of the single receptacle that I was hoping to use to make my idea more clear.

I found the receptacle I was hoping to use.
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_1374-1.htm My local home center has a un-grounded version as well. Much more compact than regular receptacles.

Gene, do you like this?

http://www.sillites.com/remodel.php

Gene Takae
01-03-2016, 9:24 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the idea but the depth is 2-1/8"-too deep for a junction box cover.

John Lifer
01-05-2016, 5:02 AM
Most installations I've seen have the line running into the attic. I'd think the transformer connection would be subject to fail from moisture and it isn't to any code. You are trying to protect the home, make it right and put power inside.

Gene Takae
01-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Most installations I've seen have the line running into the attic. I'd think the transformer connection would be subject to fail from moisture and it isn't to any code. You are trying to protect the home, make it right and put power inside.

John,
Yes, going through the attic would be my preferred method but unfortunately I don't have access to the attic.

Rollie Meyers
01-12-2016, 1:47 AM

There are not many exceptions to GFCI requirements, and I see no exceptions to the requirements in garages, and outbuildings such as sheds & shops, there used to be a exception in garages for dedicated equipment such as refrigerators, freezers, the trend has been to eliminate ALL exceptions like has been done in commercial kitchens, where all 15 & 20A 120 volt cord & plug connected equipment must have GFCI protection.

A fire or burglar alarm is not required to have GFCI protection, but I would not call a camera either one of those, but that is a exception to unfinished basement requirements also .

Most of what was written was from memory, but did check the 2014 NEC, and there are no exceptions in 210.8(A)(2) covering garages & accessory buildings such as shops, which is also unchanged from the 2011 edition.