PDA

View Full Version : 2 bearings and 6 part numbers for an old Delta jointer

Tom Deutsch
12-31-2015, 6:37 PM
Hi All -
I have a 6" Delta jointer I found a few months back and finally getting around to setting it up. I believe it is the "deluxe" model (longer bed, knobs on the front). That's actually part of my question - it says nothing anywhere on this machine. Except for the Delta/Rockwell badge, no model or serial numbers stamped that I can find. Still, from looking at the owwm site, I believe it is the model 37-220.
Anyhoo ... the bearings are shot. They will turn, but they feel pretty gritty. They are 2 different size bearings. I looked up the bearings on Toolpartsdirect and found part numbers 920-04-010-5355 and 1086894S. Grand total there of 70 clams. Ouch. Now when I look at the pdf of the owner's manual for the machine (again courtesy of owwm) those bearings are called SP-5336 and SP-5337. I google that and I come up with a couple listings - most prominently a feebay auction that lists ... another set of part numbers - 87502 & 87503 - the pair for 25 shekels shipped. Sounds good to me, but are these the bearings for my machine? I'm in doubt, because there isn't usually a 50 smackeroo price spread on the same item.
Oh - and Happy New Year, everyone!

Gary Radice
12-31-2015, 7:13 PM
I have replaced the bearings on this machine. Following the advice of the folks at OWWM, I called Accurate Bearing in Chicago. Tell them you are a woodworker, and be prepared with the relevant dimensions already written down: outer diameter, inner diameter, and thickness, and whether they have an extended race or not. If they really are 87502 and 87503, that will help them confirm the proper size. I got sealed bearings, Nachi brand. They were just a few bucks apiece, plus shipping.

EDIT: have you removed the bearings, yet? If so you might be able to confirm the 87502 and 87503 which should be stamped on the bearing seal. I don't have my machine or my paperwork for it anymore so I can't tell you exactly what I used. The Accurate web site has a tool that will convert bearing number to dimensions or vice versa. The 87xxx series has an extended inner race. An 87502 has a bore (inner diameter) of 15 mm, outer diameter of 35 mm, and width of 0.4330 mm (0.5 inch). The 87503 is 17 mm, 40 mm, and 0.4720 mm/0.5629 inch.

Tom Deutsch
01-01-2016, 9:15 AM
Thanks for the tips, Gary. Yes, I have removed the bearings and they are 87502 and 03. I need to get a digital caliper, or watch a video on how to read my old analog one more precisely than I am. I should also have looked more closely to see if a part number were stamped on the bearing. Will do that and then call Accurate Bearing. I don't follow your measurements above, though. .43 mm is less than a hair's width, not .5 inch. ? And when you refer to width, are you counting the extended part? Because as I measure the width of the bearing (on the outer surface only) the 87502 is .425" (10.795 mm) and the 87503 is .475" (12.075 mm)

Harvey Miller
01-01-2016, 6:29 PM
I usually just take the old bearings to a local bearing shop. They'll measure them and spec a suitable replacement. The 37-220 has a soft metal ID tag riveted to the back of the infeed table. Chances are it's been ripped off during one of it's moves.

Dan Friedrichs
01-01-2016, 6:57 PM
The bearings for something like this are certainly not proprietary - just measure them with a caliper and buy from McMaster:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ball-and-roller-bearings/=10hy1ss

Gary Radice
01-01-2016, 8:59 PM
OK, if you are sure they are 87502 and 03 then just let the folks at Accurate or (or another bearing supplier) know those numbers, which define the industry standard dimensions. And sorry, I copied the width dimensions wrong. I think the width of the 87502 outer ring should be about 11 mm and the inner ring about 12.7 mm., but as long as you get those bearing numbers, they will be the right dimensions). And when you reinstall, the extended race should face the cutterhead.

Thanks for the tips, Gary. Yes, I have removed the bearings and they are 87502 and 03. I need to get a digital caliper, or watch a video on how to read my old analog one more precisely than I am. I should also have looked more closely to see if a part number were stamped on the bearing. Will do that and then call Accurate Bearing. I don't follow your measurements above, though. .43 mm is less than a hair's width, not .5 inch. ? And when you refer to width, are you counting the extended part? Because as I measure the width of the bearing (on the outer surface only) the 87502 is .425" (10.795 mm) and the 87503 is .475" (12.075 mm)

Ronald Blue
01-02-2016, 2:12 PM
What you appear to need is a 6202zz and 6203zz metric series bearing. All the letter designations mean is it is double sealed. What they use may very from manufacturer to designate doubke seals. These are commin bearings and should be readily available locally unless you live in a very remote area. Automotive or farm stores likely will have them in stock. This is based on the dimensions supplied by Tom.

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2016, 9:53 PM
Less than two bucks each at Fastenal. You want bearings to say 2 RS at end of lettering.