PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if your router is going bad?

Dennis McDonaugh
09-06-2005, 1:10 PM
I've worn out two routers in 30 years of woodworking and both definitely had bearings go bad as the shaft locked up on both. I have a 8 year old Bosch 1617 and it is starting to make noise when it winds down and seems to get a lot hotter than it used to. Do you just run them until they quit?

Andrew Ault
09-06-2005, 1:38 PM
When my tools make funny noises or feel harsh I take them to a local repair shop for new bearings or brushes or whatever. This has happened a couple of times. Most recently with a Dewalt drill that has alot of "miles" on it. I just feel like maintaining my stuff is part of life and can prevent a replacement purchase.

When you get them back it's like a new tool!

-Andy

Steve Clardy
09-06-2005, 2:24 PM
Funny noises like a bearing, or a noticeable difference in sound, like a brush gone bad.
I tear them down myself and repair. I have all one brand of routers, so I keep bearings and brushes on hand normally.

Richard Wolf
09-06-2005, 5:52 PM
I'm with Steve on this on. You have to fix it yourself or I throw it out. Around New York, tool repair seems so expensive that it almost never seems like you can justify getting it fixed. Most manufactures have web site with drawings and part numbers, Dewalt even has instructions and videos on tool repair.
Good luck.

Richard

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 6:24 PM
I'm with the other. Take it apart, claen it out and replace the brushes and bearing.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-06-2005, 8:07 PM
I have a BOSCH that I've used only for scooping chair seats...and it's been making a 'bearing' noise on cold startup for prolly two years. If it sits for an hour or so, it'll scream again for five or six seconds, then quite down and be fine.

My DeWalt 621 has started making some noise recently. :(

KC

Corvin Alstot
09-06-2005, 8:11 PM
Usually they start staying out late at night, drink and drive fast cars. :)

Sorry, I could not help myself.

Dennis McDonaugh
09-07-2005, 8:39 AM
I guess I'll give replacing the bearings a shot, they're only $24 for the pair. From the exploded diagram it doesn't look like it'll be to difficult. I just hope the are going bad, expecially if I make a functional router a pile of spare parts! :D