PDA

View Full Version : Plane fun

James Pallas
12-31-2015, 6:13 PM
I purchased an LV LA Jack rabbet a while back. I planned to use it for panel raising and larger rabbets but had not used it yet. I had a few feet of 1/2" x 5/8 " rabbet to do in maple and oak. I started with my 78 clone and just decided to try the Jack rabbet. What a pleasure it was. That plane went through those rabbets like nothing was there. I found out a few things. Derek Cohen's center of effort study is very true. The easiest way to push this plane is directly in line. I even got a couple of nicks on my forearm from the edge of the rabbets. The weight of the plane did not bother me at all because it was so easy to push. I can not take big shavings because of a bad back but the ones I took were about .008 measured with a mic so not bad. A couple of pics of the work.328294328295

Jim Belair
12-31-2015, 7:43 PM
Glad to hear of your success. That's a relatively large plane for such small rabbets so if you were able to balance it on edge and get nice square rabbets you did well.

Patrick Chase
12-31-2015, 8:09 PM
I purchased an LV LA Jack rabbet a while back. I planned to use it for panel raising and larger rabbets but had not used it yet. I had a few feet of 1/2" x 5/8 " rabbet to do in maple and oak. I started with my 78 clone and just decided to try the Jack rabbet. What a pleasure it was. That plane went through those rabbets like nothing was there. I found out a few things. Derek Cohen's center of effort study is very true. The easiest way to push this plane is directly in line. I even got a couple of nicks on my forearm from the edge of the rabbets. The weight of the plane did not bother me at all because it was so easy to push. I can not take big shavings because of a bad back but the ones I took were about .008 measured with a mic so not bad. A couple of pics of the work.328294328295

Yeah, that's a very nice plane and remarkably easy to handle on smaller work. I have both that and much more recently added the bevel-down equivalent (L-N 10-1/4) and love finding excuses to use both. The L-N is in a league of its own in situations where tearout is a major concern.

Our of curiosity did you use the fence, a guide batten, both, or neither?

James Pallas
12-31-2015, 9:16 PM
Yeah, that's a very nice plane and remarkably easy to handle on smaller work. I have both that and much more recently added the bevel-down equivalent (L-N 10-1/4) and love finding excuses to use both. The L-N is in a league of its own in situations where tearout is a major concern.

Our of curiosity did you use the fence, a guide batten, both, or neither?
Patrick, I had my 78 clone set already so I started each piece with a couple of shavings with it. The plane works so easily that I think I could start it without anything, I'll think I will try it sometime soon. I have the fence.
Jim

James Pallas
01-03-2016, 3:03 PM
Patrick ask how I started the rabbet. On the first ones I started with a 78. On this one I started the plane in a knifed line. It worked just fine even going against the grain.
Jim