PDA

View Full Version : Saw blades

Harry Niemann
12-31-2015, 4:42 PM
Does any one know of a lower cost 10" blade with 0 or negative hook. Seems like every one I see is $50.00
on up.

Howard Acheson
12-31-2015, 5:56 PM
These days, any decent blade will cost more than $50. Good blades are not cheap. Look around and see if you can find something on sale.

cody michael
12-31-2015, 7:51 PM
I bought a sears made in Germany neg. Rake blade for my dad for his RAS it was on sale for 39 I think

Tom Deutsch
01-01-2016, 9:55 AM
Hello Harry: Speaking generally, the only "normal consumer" priced blades ($10-$30 Home Depot etc) are those that sell a lot. Most people have table saws and chop saws, which can use positive rake. Radial arm saws aren't used as much (although they are put up for sale a lot) 0 degree or negative rake blades as used in a RAS are now considered "specialty" items which you'll have to get from an online or specialty retailer - not easily available in your big box store. Thus the price. At least I assume we're talking about a blade for a RAS.

scott spencer
01-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Oshlun might have something. Those are decent affordable blades. For a RAS or slider, you could safely increase the rake to a low positive of upwards of 5°...doesn't have to be negative as long as it's not a steep positive. That'd expand your list of options, which should improve your odds of getting a good blade at a good price.

Lee Schierer
01-01-2016, 1:11 PM
This Freud blade (http://www.rockler.com/freud-lu91m-industrial-thin-kerf-sliding-compound-miter-saw-blades) will get you what you want, but it is $10.47 more than your $50 goal.

Earl McLain
01-01-2016, 2:49 PM
I have the website open, waffling on a few decisions of my own--so i did a search at Carbide Processors. They have a few options from Popular Tools with a negative 5 degree hook in the $55 to $65 range. Move to a Zero hook and there are a few choices from the Tenryu Power Tool line that are under $50. I don't know either blade line, but would trust Tom Walz' judgement to sell the line (and their commitment to customer satisfaction). They're closed until Monday morning, but might be worth a call then to chat--they carry Oshlun as well and as Scott mentioned there may be an option there as well. Good luck.

Kind of hoping Scott Spencer or another with extensive blade experience might have some insight on that Power Tool series from Tenryu--i'm curious for real-world feedback as they look to be priced well.

earl

scott spencer
01-01-2016, 11:36 PM
I have the website open, waffling on a few decisions of my own--so i did a search at Carbide Processors. They have a few options from Popular Tools with a negative 5 degree hook in the $55 to $65 range. Move to a Zero hook and there are a few choices from the Tenryu Power Tool line that are under $50. I don't know either blade line, but would trust Tom Walz' judgement to sell the line (and their commitment to customer satisfaction). They're closed until Monday morning, but might be worth a call then to chat--they carry Oshlun as well and as Scott mentioned there may be an option there as well. Good luck.

Kind of hoping Scott Spencer or another with extensive blade experience might have some insight on that Power Tool series from Tenryu--i'm curious for real-world feedback as they look to be priced well.

earl

Earl - I've gotten good results with the Tenryu Rapid Cut series, and obviously their Gold Medal series, but have never tried their Power Tool series. I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty decent.

Earl McLain
01-02-2016, 6:52 AM
Earl - I've gotten good results with the Tenryu Rapid Cut series, and obviously their Gold Medal series, but have never tried their Power Tool series. I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty decent.

Thanks Scott. I'm going to try their 8 1/4" 40 tooth for breaking down sheet goods. At $20, it's not a huge risk financially and like i said earlier--i have some faith in Carbide Processors' judgement and willingness to back up the sale.
earl