PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453 Gearbox Rebuild (internal o-ring correct in parts catalog?)

graham reitz
12-31-2015, 3:14 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding the oil filled gearbox for the Grizzly G0453. So far it's gone well with the exception of the specified size for an internal o-ring that sits on the handle shaft.

Link to the o-ring: https://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0453Z437

The specified size o-ring, P16, looks like it would flop around the handle shaft versus provide an oil seal.

If anyone has cracked open the G0453 gearbox and can describe how the handle shaft o-ring provides a seal I would be grateful. I'm curious if the text in the Grizzly parts catalog is incorrect.

Regards,
Graham

Ronald Blue
12-31-2015, 4:33 PM
I have no idea if the o-ring is correct but usually there is groove either in the shaft or in the housing to contain it securely to create a reliable seal. Looking at the parts break down the o-ring does go on the handle end of the shaft and when it is blown up there appears to be a groove next to the step in the shaft. Clearly the o-ring you show isn't going to seal anything. That is a common o-ring and probably can be picked up locally. Do the dimensions of the o-ring you have match the 15.8 x 2.4 reference size?

John Aperahama
12-31-2015, 5:38 PM
The text is correct. And it does work. Had to replace oil seals on my planer 10 years ago that o ring goes onto the shaft I seem to recall a groove but was a long time ago. Getting to be something I have got to do again soon.