PDA

View Full Version : Mitre Saw selection for a junior high

Chris Yarish
09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I have to purchase a mitre saw for my junior high shop program and I have no idea which one to buy.
I have ~$500 CDN, to spend, and here's my preferred retail outlet.
Which one would be the "chosen one" in your opinions and why?

http://www.houseoftools.com/subcat.htm?searcht=&results=15&type=class&cat=2457&n=1

Aaron Mills
09-06-2005, 1:21 PM
Hey Chris,

In my old high school shop, we had the Dewalt 705S, and it was almost always adequate for our use, aside from the occasional, wider cross-cut. It lived up to plenty of use, and far exceeded the radial arm saw in terms of usage due to its simplicity. It was set up on a portable cut-off stand, with extension rollers. I think it would've been better to have it on a fixed stand if it's going to be used in a school setting. At $430 plus GST, the 705S woudl fit within your budget, but if you can squeeze the extra $70, I think the double bevel function on the 706 would be best for young students.

I still remember a number of my classmates trying to make awkward bevel cuts on the mitre because they figured it would save time, or they didn't want to bother bringing out the cross-cut sled for the table saw. It's a reality of how young people sometimes think, so if the double bevel 706 can fit within your budget, then that's what I would recommend. If there's a front bevel lock available on any of the models under $500, that's also another feature that can make sure your students don't take unnecessary risks. Everything else (LCD screens, lasers, etc.) do more to hamper teaching students how to woodwork than it does to help them.

Are there any other places to purchase tools other than House of Tools in Calgary? Their pricing isn't always the best, so if there are other options and pricing is a concern I would consider looking elsewhere first. Also, if it isn't needed in a hurry, you may want to wait for the Calgary Canwest Woodoworking Show (Nov.4-6) to see if you can't find a better deal then.
Aaron

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 1:27 PM
The Dewalt 12".
DEW DW705S
It has a 4" cut capacity.
It is within you budget.
I have this saw and would buy it again without any hesitation.
I realy see no need for the double bevel unless the saw tilts both directions.

Aaron Mills
09-06-2005, 1:54 PM
The Dewalt 12".
I realy see no need for the double bevel unless the saw tilts both directions.

The double bevel feature allows the machine to tilt in both directions. This means that the stock can always be held down on the left side of the machine. The machines without a double bevel may require clamping (safe, but time consuming especially in the minds of high school students) or using the left hand to use the saw while using the right hand to hold onto the stock (dangerous, but easy). I just remember seeing the latter happen far too often in my high school shop. Fortunately no one ever got hurt or lost any digits, but it's just as well to have a machine that would make it unnecessary for students to take that risk.

Aaron

Chris Yarish
09-06-2005, 7:30 PM
Hey Chris,

Are there any other places to purchase tools other than House of Tools in Calgary? Their pricing isn't always the best, so if there are other options and pricing is a concern I would consider looking elsewhere first. Also, if it isn't needed in a hurry, you may want to wait for the Calgary Canwest Woodoworking Show (Nov.4-6) to see if you can't find a better deal then.
Aaron

H of T gives me a fantastic deal on anything in the store. Based on their own margins, I have saved anywhere between 5% and 40% on items "at the till". I never know the discount in advance unless I inquire, but the deal is consistent and it beats out anyone else by a mile.
I just wish they sold wood.

Thanks for the advice, I will go for the dual tilting DeWalt, and although my students may not appreciate the option, I sure will.

Jim Hager
09-06-2005, 7:40 PM
DEWALT 705S would be my pic of the litter from the link you provided. We have a Delta compound mitre saw at the school where I teach and I wouldn't walk across the road to get another one for free. Changing the blade on that thing is a PITA. Oh, it cuts ok I guess but the students are not really good at setting the angles since it doesn't have detents in the angle scale.

I have the dewalt 708 SCMS in my home shop and really give it a workout most every weekend doing somethng. Last weekend I did 51 raised panel oak cabinet doors and used the 708 for any of the crosscutting necessary for builidng doors. Each door has 5 parts times the number of cuts to get those parts plus squaring up the panels after glue ups etc. you get the idea I'm sure.

I give it more of a workout that the students at school give to our Delta there.

I have owned mine for 7 years and have had to replace the brushes once and the blade once in a while and I have never had to adjust the stops.

Chris Yarish
09-06-2005, 9:45 PM
So what of the belt and direct drive distinction?
What would be more advantageous/higher quality/lowest maintenence/cheapest manintenance?

Ron Jones near Indy
09-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I've got a crapsman that I would give you. But then you would be looking for some sucker to take it. :( Most unwise tool buying decision I ever made. I still can't understand why I though it was a good deal.

egon reske
09-07-2005, 8:10 AM
I have a Delta Sidekick 10 in. purchased from House of Tools. Happy with it.

But -- I would surely like the Dewalt 12 in. compound sliding miter saw. Have read good things about it.

What about stand or bench?

Egon