PDA

View Full Version : Extrema Planers - any thoughts?

Todd Burch
06-10-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm looking at an Extrema planer, 20" or possibly 24", with a Stealth cutterhead. (extremausa.com). Does anyone have one or have any input on the machine? To me, it's a new brand.

Thanks, Todd.

Tim E. Gant
06-10-2003, 5:34 PM
Can't speak for their planers, but I boughjt one of their 36" wide belts about 4 yr's ago and I love it. Not one problem yet, the things built like a tank, (I spent 2 days at the Atlanta fair comparing machines, and the Extrema came out way ahead of the competition, and that includes SCMI ,Timesaver, Powermatic, ect, for the same catagorie). The big boys wanted several thousand more for the same basic machine. And theirs were built in taiwan as well. The great thing about extrema is that they use american electronics and motors, so replacement parts are as near as my grainger catalog. The folks at extrema have been very helpful anytime I've had a question. I'm planning to buy a bigger shaper this coming year, and extrema is definatly on my short list.

Bobby Hatfield
06-10-2003, 7:27 PM
Todd, don't know the use of the planer but I use my 20" for glued up door panels and most of the contractors around here like large cabinet doors so some panels don't get planed in one piece, of course I make the largest glueups I can and cut out the panels after planing. I would get the 24" planer if I had it to do over. Go for the XP-124 with Stealth head.

Bruce Page
06-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Todd, I don’t know anything about Extrema but it sure looks like high-end equipment – and it looks expensive too!

Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary. -- Robert Louis Stevenson