PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tension

Josh Doran
12-30-2015, 10:38 PM
I recently started having issues with my bandsaw. The tension is acting weird. It has become hard to turn first of all. Then when I get the tension about halfway tight on the blade, the tension actually loosens the more I tighten it. But if I then loosed the tension adjuster, the blade tightens up enough for use. However, the blade still wanders and pops out from between the guides. I hoped getting the blade to tension enough would fix the wandering and bowing, but it hasn't. Any thoughts? Would a new blade fix the problem, or is possibly the bandsaw itself with the issue?

Thanks,
Josh

Ben Rivel
12-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Tensioning spring broken? Have you checked it? What saw is it and how old is it?

Josh Doran
12-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Its a Grizzly G0555 14", maybe 5 years old. I got it off craigslist a few years back, hardly used at the time, and lightly used since.

Ben Rivel
12-31-2015, 12:40 AM
Its a Grizzly G0555 14", maybe 5 years old. I got it off craigslist a few years back, hardly used at the time, and lightly used since.
Gotcha. See if you can see the tensioning spring and check to make sure its still in one piece.

Earl McLain
12-31-2015, 7:10 AM
Also check the tension rod and nut for stripping.
earl

Carroll Courtney
12-31-2015, 7:56 AM
Go to their website and download the manual which will also include on how to adjust.I know men don't need no stinking directions,but it my help----Carroll

glenn bradley
12-31-2015, 8:06 AM
Gotcha. See if you can see the tensioning spring and check to make sure its still in one piece.

Also check the tension rod and nut for stripping.
earl

These would by my first checks also. From your description I am leaning toward the rod.

Robert Engel
12-31-2015, 8:08 AM
Could be one or more factors:

1. Adjusting rod.
2. Bracket
3. Spring

I would think these aren't very expensive parts to replace.

Its real easy: call Grizzly tech support!! I'll bet you get the answer very quickly.

Kent Adams
12-31-2015, 8:14 AM
Josh, out of curiosity and my own edification on bandsaws, do you typically release the tension when you aren't using the bandsaw or do you keep the tension on between uses?

Lee Schierer
12-31-2015, 8:51 AM
I noticed yesterday on my BS that the top head slide wouldn't slide all the way down to its lowest point due to sawdust accumulation. Remove the band and see if the head slides up and down freely.

Josh Doran
12-31-2015, 5:45 PM
I always release the tension with the quick release lever. I used to do it with the knob, but switched when it became too hard to turn.

David Malicky
12-31-2015, 6:22 PM
Josh, out of curiosity and my own edification on bandsaws, do you typically release the tension when you aren't using the bandsaw or do you keep the tension on between uses?
In woodworking, there are many people in both camps. Some good discussions in the archives, and a recent one on lumberjocks. From an engineering perspective, the only advantage is it could prevent the rubber tires from denting in hot weather. (The metal parts don't care whether a load is for 1 second or 1 year, and if anything, a load that cycles on/off is slightly worse for the metal parts.) But how often do we hear of tires needing replacement due to dents? Very rarely if at all. Probably in the old days, some poor rubber choices for tires did dent, and the advice got started.

In metalworking, almost all machinists and machine shops keep their bandsaws at full tension.

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2015, 6:53 PM

Hi Kent, like adjusting the fence for drift, releasing the tension on a band saw is only done by hobby users, and isn't required.

I've never seen a saw in industry de-tensioned except to change the blade.

Hope you get your saw repaired and have a Happy New Year.........Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
12-31-2015, 8:00 PM
In metalworking, almost all machinists and machine shops keep their bandsaws at full tension.

Most metal cutting band saws have all metal wheels without tires.