PDA

View Full Version : Anybody with a Grizzly GO453 planer have issues with chip breaker adjustment?

Michael Yadfar
12-30-2015, 10:20 PM
I've owned this planer for over a year and haven't used it much, and just adjusted everything today. It's not anything I didn't expect as I didn't follow proper procedure, but the infeed rollers were .015 too low, and the outfeed rollers were .030 low, which is maybe why I had snipe? Anyway though, the one thing that wouldn't adjust right is the chip breaker. It needs to be .040 below the knife, but only one side goes that low. The other side is only .020 before it doesn't move anymore. No matter what I do, I can't get that side to the right height. Has anyone had a similar issue and had a fix? Also, is he chip breaker even important?

Michael O'Sullivan
12-30-2015, 11:07 PM
Raise everything else up and work from there?

Marty Tippin
12-31-2015, 10:58 AM
I'd just set it level at whatever height you can get and call it good.

Michael Yadfar
01-01-2016, 12:59 AM
I came to the conclusion that the chip breaker just isn't even, no matter how I set it the one side is .015 higher. I just raised it completely so it's out of the way, figured it would be better having none that a crooked one

Mike Chalmers
01-01-2016, 5:42 AM
First of all, let me state that I am no expert, and have no practical experience with an issue of this sort. My opinion, and that is all it is, is based on my understanding of the role a chip breaker plays, and an understanding of what could happen. The cutter head rotates in such a manner as to enter the wood on the outfeed side, and leaves it on the infeed side, where the chip breaker is. As it leaves the wood, it is going to be exerting force on the grain upward, producing tear out. The chip breaker holds that part down and forces the chip to break rather than tear out. Considering the difference of .015" in real terms, I would hazard a guess that it is far preferable to no chip breaker contact at all. I would set it as close as possible on both sides.