PDA

View Full Version : Finish recipes

Jason Morgan
09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know of a good source for different finish recipes? Something that would tell you step by step how to get a particular finish? Ive seen (and have) a few books on finishing, but nothing that speels out what to do.

Thanks,

Jim Becker
09-06-2005, 3:44 PM
I think you need to clarify what you mean by "finishing recipes"...do you mean "mixtures" or do you mean finishing regimens to get a particular look. If the latter, keep in mind that there are basic reginmens (such as those recommended by my friend Steve Mickley (http://johnjacobmickley.net/Shop%20Pages/Finishing%20Frame.htm)), but they are all something you need to do on scrap (from the same project materials) so you can know what the real end result will be and/or can change it to accomodate any differences that the wood insists on. There are no absolutes...

Bill Arnold
09-06-2005, 4:41 PM
Jason,

It sounds like what you're seeking is finish "regimens" or "schedules". A "recipe" would be like BLO/Naphtha/Poly in a 1/1/1 ratio and everyone who could answer could have dozens of "recipes" they use depending on the specific application.

A great resource is Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing by Jeff Jewitt. He goes into detail on all types of finishing procedures. His comparisons of the effects of different type of finish products is terrific. I rely on Jeff's book as my "Bible" of finishing.

Regards,

Steve Schoene
09-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Another book by Jeff Jewitt also gives good step by step finishing schedules. Its titled Great Wood Finishes and is also from Taunton.

But remember, to a degree the wood in each project may react a little differently, and also finishing products change formula's (recent changes have often been to reduce VOC's) Therefore is is important to always practice with a planned finish on scrap of the same wood, prepared in the same way, as the project.

Jason Morgan
09-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry about my poor choice of words...

Yes I am looking for FINISHING recipes (not things that go well with lutefisk hahaha :D) and probably better is FINISHING REGIMENS. Im a chemist, and sometime we call a sythesis or procedure a recipe...a synthesis is the formal reaction that is taking place were as the recipe for a sythesis is how you would actually go in the lab and do it.

Example with finishing:
Sythesis - analine dye/polyurathane
Recipe - Sand to 220, put on two coats of thinned dewaxed shellac, sand with 320, mix analine dye with methanol, flood surface, wipe off excess, etc etc,

I guess what I am looking for is the Mr.Boston Bar Guide of finishing. Does something exist? If not, maybe there is an opportunity there :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-07-2005, 2:46 PM
Every wood is different, so really no there isn't a do all end all, that I know of. Any time that I use new stock, I try out the finish I am thinking of on larger peices of scrap. My favorite finish right now is witches brew which is a mix of Poly/BLO/Mineral Spirits in equal amounts, I use this for the first coat and then add more poly for subsequent coats :) All found by trial and error.

I also use a method of "french polishing". Basically I take a peice of towel and wrap it up in a clean cloth, an old Tshirt works well. Then you open up the shirt and pour in finish on the towel. The towel holds the finish and the tshirt filters it.

If you find a good guide, let me know! There are so many ways to finish our projects!!!

Bill Arnold
09-07-2005, 3:43 PM
Jason,

It sounds like you're looking for both the recipes (mixtures) that people use for finishing as well as the specific regimens that are used. I wouldn't be trying to convert us to terminology used in other arenas -- we're kinda set in our ways. :rolleyes:

As I said previously, most of us can give you a wide range of recipes we use. For instance, the basic recipe I use is BLO/Naphtha/Poly in a 1/1/1 ratio. However, I vary that depending on what I'm trying to accomplish and to experiement a little. As an example, one regimen I've used is to start with BLO/Naphtha in a 1/1 ratio for the first coat and maybe a second coat as well. If I'm planning to use polyurethane for the topcoat, I'll add it in the mix starting with the second coat at a 1/1/1 ratio. Subsequent coats will delete the BLO and use a mix of poly and naphtha.

The only way to know for sure what we or you want to use as a recipe or regimen is to experiment on scraps of project material. As an example, on one of my current projects, I glued three scraps of veneer to a board and applied BLO/Naphtha, 1/1 to it but didn't like the immediate yellowing of the tiger maple sample. The next samples were sprayed with some NC lacquer which still deepened the grain with very little yellowing. As a result, I sealed the veneered panel of my project with NC lacquer and am oiling all of the other parts which are claro walnut. The topcoat for the entire project will be pre-catalyzed lacquer.

Nobody can give you a hard-and-fast rule for finishing. The bottom line is what you want to accomplish -- the look you want to achieve. You're the one who has to get there by experimenting with different recipes and regimens.

Regards,

Earl Kelly
09-07-2005, 4:01 PM
Adventures in Wood Finishing by George Frank He has another book out also, has some techniques or formulas. His finish guides are not run of the mill. He was doing outlandish dyed and filled finishes back in the 50's. Adventures would be a good read as well as getting some basics.

Jeff Jewitt has a more modern finishing book, he has lots to offer.

Just remember, a finish on wood only has 2 requirements. Protection and Enhance or Beautify. These are not always used together. Also, certain finishes work better with some woods than others.