PDA

View Full Version : Will this...

Cary Falk
12-30-2015, 4:34 PM
silence the Grizzly lathe haters? Introducing the G0799 and G0800. And just when everybody bought the G0766. Let the panty wadding begin.:D

features:
EVS with digital readout
fwd/rev
headstock can be positioned anywhere along bed
12" swing awaybed for easy tailstock storage
built in tool holder
headstock, tailstock, and tool reas all have lever action can locks
adjustable feet
all cast iron construction

comparator arm and 20" bed extension available

G0799 specs:
2hp, 220V, 3 ph with inverter
swing over bed 20"
distance between centers 48"
spindle speeds 60-1000rpm, 200-3500rpm
1 1/4" x 8 TPI
MT #2 spindle and tailstock
spindle bore 5/8"
tailstock travel 4 1/2"
Spindle center height to floor 44"
Number of spindle indexes 48, 7.5 degrees
Approximate weight 826 lbs

G0800 specs:
3hp, 220V, 3 ph with inverter
swing over bed 24"
distance between centers 48"
spindle speeds 60-1000rpm, 200-3500rpm
1 1/4" x 8 TPI
MT #2 spindle and tailstock
spindle bore 5/8"
tailstock travel 4 1/2"
Spindle center height to floor 46"
Number of spindle indexes 48, 7.5 degrees
Approximate weight 845 lbs

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/20151230_130830_zpsetbapjcl.jpg

Geoff Whaling
12-30-2015, 5:03 PM
Looks like a Harvey T50 to me :rolleyes: ... wonder ho many other brand names it is sold under????

http://www.bbta.com.au/harvey-t-50-wood-lathe/

carl mesaros
12-30-2015, 5:03 PM
Wow! This lathe looks a lot like my Laguna 2436. I have been turning on it for about 9 months now and I am very satisfied. I have the tail stock swing away and the 20" extension.
I've put many hours on this lathe and am really enjoying the +800lbs. of cast iron. My previous lathe was a Jet 1642, while very capable, not even in the same league as this machine.

Roger Chandler
12-30-2015, 5:13 PM
Oh man! I can almost feel a new itch starting, and I don't know how long I can keep from scratchin' it! :eek: :D That thing looks good!

I think if I actually pull the trigger on another lathe, it will likely be an American Beauty. Temptations, temptations....what's a guy to do? :confused:

This does resemble the Harvey and the Laguna Revo lineup.......this looks to have an A/C motor and inverter combo on it, and not the D/C motor like the Laguna and Harvey lines. No doubt made by the same company with Grizzly's particular specs on it. The cage guard on it looks like the one on the PM3520b and PM 4224, but just painted a different color. I think all the Asian made lines are made to specs for the different vendors using universally available parts.........the manufacturing link is obvious in most of the Asian makes.

John Keeton
12-30-2015, 6:33 PM
Looks like the low speed is 60 instead of 600 rpm.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2015, 6:39 PM
First thing I noticed John... low speed was way off. Looks like a capable lathe - hope someone writes a review once they have it!

carl mesaros
12-30-2015, 6:44 PM
Looks like the low speed is 60 instead of 600 rpm.

That's correct John. My Laguna 2436 has a low speed of 60.
Outstanding torque at not too much higher than that.

carl mesaros
12-30-2015, 6:45 PM
Looks like a Harvey T50 to me :rolleyes: ... wonder ho many other brand names it is sold under????

http://www.bbta.com.au/harvey-t-50-wood-lathe/

Laguna 2436 is one.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-30-2015, 7:23 PM
Oh man! I can almost feel a new itch starting

Roger, before you start scratching that itch you better stiffen up the floor in your shop or it may begin looking like a bounce house. Then go for it. We only live once.
faust

Roger Chandler
12-30-2015, 7:43 PM
Roger, before you start scratching that itch you better stiffen up the floor in your shop or it may begin looking like a bounce house. Then go for it. We only live once.
faustWell Faust......'tis true we only live once! :D In August I replaced my 1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4 wood hauler with a 2015 full size Ram Big Horn edition, pretty tricked out. I have invested in some aftermarket rests from Robust and a banjo from Oneway for that G0766. That itch might just have to go away on its own! :rolleyes:

You are right about the shop floor........I am hoping to remedy that with a relocation and a MUCH larger shop in the future. That is the plan anyway!

Michael Schneider
12-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Is this online yet? I did some searching, but could not find it.

Thanks,
Michael

Roger Chandler
12-31-2015, 11:47 AM
Is this online yet? I did some searching, but could not find it.

Thanks,
MichaelNew catalog items usually go up on the website Jan. 2nd or 3rd.

Brian Kent
12-31-2015, 2:06 PM
Looks wonderful. After a few minutes of consideration, the 766 has more balance with the rest of my life, but this really looks like a super-tool.

Mark Greenbaum
12-31-2015, 5:43 PM
I'd say those of us who have already purchased and received the G0766 are lucky. The price for the G0799 is $1000 more and 1 hp less, but smaller throw over the ways, and center to center just a few inches longer. That swing away might be a nice add-on for mine, but the bed is so long as is, I just push the tail stock to the end and have plenty of elbow room. I'm glad I bought what I've got. I turned 2 bowls this morning in less that 2 hours. Lots of sawdust to my chicken raising friend at work.

John Keeton
12-31-2015, 6:32 PM
But, 242 lbs heavier.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2015, 6:43 PM
I'd say those of us who have already purchased and received the G0766 are lucky. The price for the G0799 is $1000 more and 1 hp less, but smaller throw over the ways, and center to center just a few inches longer. That swing away might be a nice add-on for mine, but the bed is so song as is, I just push the tail satock to the end and have plenty of elbow room. I'm glad I bought what I've got. I turned 2 bowls this morning in less that 2 hours. Lots of sawdust to my chicken raising friend at work.I am happy with my decision to get the G0766. Ballast will do the same thing as those extra 242 lbs, although the other features like the swing-way are nice!

John Keeton
12-31-2015, 7:22 PM
Ballast will do the same thing as those extra 242 lbs...Not sure I agree on that part, Roger. Just depends on where that 242 lbs is - heavier bed, legs, etc., maybe. That is a 41% increase in weight and presumably a smaller motor, tailstock and headstock.

John Keeton
01-03-2016, 8:49 AM
While I have no need nor intention of upgrading from my Jet 1642-2, like everyone of us, I enjoy looking and dreaming. To that end, I downloaded the spec sheets on the PM 3520B, the Laguna/Harvey T-50 and T-60 (identical from what I can tell), and the Grizzly G0799 and G0800. There may be other differences, but it appears the spindle height on the Laguna is consistent between the two sizes. If that is true, then they have shortened the legs on the 24" model. Perhaps one of the Laguna owners can provide the spindle height from the 2436.

Grizzly, on the other hand, would seem to have used the same legs on both machines, resulting in an increased spindle height on the G0800.

I do like the headstock design as well as other features of this lathe, and there is a substantial weight advantage to these new machines as against the PM. The comments from SMC members with Laguna lathes seem to be positive. I would love to see a solid review comparing the PM and the Laguna/Grizzly - either size, as all indications would be these lathes may offer an attractive option and competition for the PM. I should add that I have not seen the Laguna 2436, but I have seen the smaller 18" model.

Notwithstanding the substantial similarity, I am still convinced that there can be quality differences in the specs required by different companies using the same factory. I don't know how one would determine that without some significant use of the machines, or perhaps even then without getting inside the thing! As always, the best test is time, but I do like the looks of these machines and while there are some things I might not like, overall there has been some thought put into the design.

David C. Roseman
01-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Just looking at the specs and online product descriptions, one very big difference I see between the Laguna/Harvey T50/T60 models and the new Grizzlies is the type of motor used. The former appear to be using 1-phase DC brushless motors, while the Grizzlies use 3-phase AC motors. FWIW, I recall that Grizzly used DC brushless motors on it's now-discontinued G0698, and switched to 3-phase AC (with the Delta M-series VFD) for its successor, the G0733. They carried that through last year to the larger G0766, and now evidently to the G0799 and G0800. One reason Grizzly gave for the change back then was to reduce the tendency of the motor drive to "hunt" for a stable rpm at very low spindle speeds. That issue had been reported on the G0698 and similar Asian lathes. I don't know if it has ever been associated with the motors and motor drives of the T50 or T60.

Art Mann
01-03-2016, 1:37 PM
In answer to your original question, there are certain people who will always be Grizzly haters. They are either tool snobs or they hate the fact that most Grizzly tools are made in the Far East. Neither the quality nor the value of these tools makes any difference.

carl mesaros
01-03-2016, 2:28 PM
While I have no need nor intention of upgrading from my Jet 1642-2, like everyone of us, I enjoy looking and dreaming. To that end, I downloaded the spec sheets on the PM 3520B, the Laguna/Harvey T-50 and T-60 (identical from what I can tell), and the Grizzly G0799 and G0800. There may be other differences, but it appears the spindle height on the Laguna is consistent between the two sizes. If that is true, then they have shortened the legs on the 24" model. Perhaps one of the Laguna owners can provide the spindle height from the 2436.

Grizzly, on the other hand, would seem to have used the same legs on both machines, resulting in an increased spindle height on the G0800.

I do like the headstock design as well as other features of this lathe, and there is a substantial weight advantage to these new machines as against the PM. The comments from SMC members with Laguna lathes seem to be positive. I would love to see a solid review comparing the PM and the Laguna/Grizzly - either size, as all indications would be these lathes may offer an attractive option and competition for the PM. I should add that I have not seen the Laguna 2436, but I have seen the smaller 18" model.

Notwithstanding the substantial similarity, I am still convinced that there can be quality differences in the specs required by different companies using the same factory. I don't know how one would determine that without some significant use of the machines, or perhaps even then without getting inside the thing! As always, the best test is time, but I do like the looks of these machines and while there are some things I might not like, overall there has been some thought put into the design.
John I purchased the Laguna 2436 last March or April. I placed a writeup here on the creek with my initial feelings about the lathe shortly after.
I use this lathe almost daily and am still satisfied with my purchase. The 800 lbs. of cast iron is wonderful, even with smaller projects, I can "feel" the difference between this and my Jet 1642. The swing-away is well designed and very precise.
The main differences between the Laguna 2036 and 2436 is 20" vs 24" spindle height, and 2 vs. 3hp motors.
The Laguna's motor is DC brushless, which I believe the Grizzly will also be. Lots of low speed torque.
With the 3hp, I rarely flip the belt to the low side.

John Keeton
01-03-2016, 2:51 PM
Carl, I recall your post! Glad to hear you still enjoy the lathe. What is the spindle height of the 2436? Just curious. Thanks.

John Keeton
01-03-2016, 3:06 PM
In answer to your original question, there are certain people who will always be Grizzly haters. They are either tool snobs or they hate the fact that most Grizzly tools are made in the Far East. Neither the quality nor the value of these tools makes any difference.Art, for a lot of folks, including me, it isn't about being a "Grizzly hater." Of the six large stationary machines in my shop, four are Grizzly, excepting only my drill press that predates Grizzly and my Jet 1642-2.

But, in the past, Grizzly, and for that matter Laguna and some others, have had design/quality issues with lathes specifically. That has left some with skepticism when Grizzly comes out with a new lathe. Without reviving the intense discussion of prior threads, I think the G0766 is an adequate lathe, with good value for the money spent. I doubt Grizzly ever intended it to compete with high end lathes, and was very pointed in the market segment intended for the machine. Some of us with 1642s and perhaps some of the other similar lathes, may not feel it offers much in the way of an upgrade, and at the same time had some features that weren't desirable or were viewed as inadequate compared to what we have.

However, I do think the new entries may well have appeal to a much different market segment, and might be of interest to those considering an upgrade. But, I am just not one to be "one of the first" with any purchase - vehicles, appliances, or shop machines. I like to see some history established before I buy, and that is why I commented about the "test of time."

Geoff Whaling
01-03-2016, 4:22 PM
In answer to your original question, there are certain people who will always be Grizzly haters. They are either tool snobs or they hate the fact that most Grizzly tools are made in the Far East. Neither the quality nor the value of these tools makes any difference.

Art we don't even get Grizzly products here in Oz but we are now seeing the Harvey /Laguna machines here. Most of these lathes appear to be clones of very similar design & specification, so close that it is very difficult for the average punter to be able to distinguish the differences.

In my home state of Queensland Australia we have Vicmarc lathes, a small family manufacturing business, that produces a range of lathes and other wood turning products at a fair price for the quality supplied. No they aren't cheap but neither is an imported Powermatic lathe here.When Vicmarc products are stacked against any opposition they hold up extremely well except on price. Price is relative as I have regularly used 20 to 25 yo Vicmarc VL100 & VL200 lathes that have had a hard life in a club environment. Small Jet lathes and some of the Asian clones of the larger lathes barely last 4 or 5 years in the same environment.

A lathe that will last 25 years is hardly a selling point to many purchasers but a lathe that will last a reasonable time, that has a reasonable specification level and adequate safety features is a sure winner to most wood turning folk.

So it is good to have choice and a range of machines at various market price points that make wood turning an affordable pastime for all. In fact the US market is probably spoiled for choice far more than any other market in the world. As John says time will tell just how good some of these lathes are. Miles on the road sort of stuff ....

John Grace
01-03-2016, 6:18 PM
To chime in on the Grizzly. Quite some years ago I owned a Chevrolet Blazer...it was made when GM was still struggling with quality control, etc. I switched to mostly foreign made products since though I did own two Saturns along the way. Friends who worked for the big three pleaded with me to come back and give them a try and while I know over-all quality has improved dramatically since then, the car buying guides still list the Toyotas and Hondas as being better for what I look for and can afford. So what's the point relative to Grizzly? We spend small fortunes on our tools and most of us can readily recall our most disastrous purchases. Furthermore, we can't typically afford to repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over again. That's why, I believe, it's a hard feeling to get past no matter how many great reviews one reads on new tools. Put it in the category of fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me.

Roger Chandler
01-03-2016, 7:30 PM
It always has puzzled me that the ones who poo-poo Grizzly lathes for the most part are the ones who have not owned nor turned on one of the newer models, such as the G0733 nor the G0766. I have turned on several makes, 3520b's, Jet 1642 EVS models, Robust American Beauty, Delta & Jet midis, minis and some old iron. I have close friends who own Oneway's, 3 of them in fact, and one owned a Hegner lathe from Germany as well.

I try to make intelligent decisions based on performance......of which I have first hand knowledge of the up close and personal kind. That experience and knowing what I was looking for gave me confidence to make the Grizzly purchases I have made....also true about the Grizzly bandsaw I own.

Certainly, not every person who discusses Grizzly tools, their design, features & performance is negative, but it seems to me that actual owners have given credible testimony to the performance of these higher end units from Grizzly. John's observation about time will tell related to proven performance is valid, but I have no doubt that these units will stand that test.

I don't think any of the G0733 or G0766 owners are trying to say that their lathes are a Robust American Beauty, nor a Oneway 2436, but what they are saying is that they will hold their own with the current offerings of the other Asian makes. I have a friend who owns and has turned on his 3520b for years........he visited my shop and saw my G0766 and was impressed with it!

A good number of Grizzly units have been in use in shops around the country for years, and have been reliable units. That is my experience with my former G0698, which I just saw again yesterday at our club meeting. I turned it on and listened to it run, just for old time sake. It is being used by numerous people in our club, and is used heavily as a teaching lathe......still performing just fine.

Using the car analogy that was mentioned by the previous poster......some people for their own reasons will not own a Chevy, some will not own a Ford, some will not own a Toyota or Honda, but that doesn't make all Hondas or Fords a bad automobile......quite the contrary......most are very good cars! The same holds true with these higher end, featured Grizzly lathes. They may not be a fit for every single turner, ergonomically.....it would be nice if every lathe sold had adjustable height legs, so every turner could find that sweet spot for their particular style of tool presentation and height, but then the price tags would start to soar. For the most part, they will serve most of us just fine.

David Walser
01-03-2016, 9:28 PM
It always has puzzled me that the ones who poo-poo Grizzly lathes for the most part are the ones who have not owned nor turned on one of the newer models, such as the G0733 nor the G0766. ...

Roger -- John, above, addressed what puzzles you. The reason many are skeptical of Grizzly lathes is because of the poor quality of the lathes Grizzly produced prior to the G0733 and G0766. As John explained, many of us owned Grizzly's other woodworking machines and bought their prior lathes based on our faith in the Grizzly brand. Those lathes did not live up to expectations. Every few years, Grizzly would introduce a new lathe that supposedly addressed the concerns with their prior models. Those lathes were disappointments, too. Wash, rinse, and repeat for 15 years. Now, you tell us Grizzly has learned their lessons from prior mistakes and are now making quality lathes. Great!

While we've heard that story before, let's all hope it's true this time. However, I hope you can understand why more than a few are a tad skeptical of Grizzly's ability to produce a quality lathe. Grizzly earned that skepticism. Get back to us in a decade or so. By that time, Grizzly's new models may have earned a reputation for quality and dependability (such as the reputation enjoyed by Grizzly's other woodworking machines).

carl mesaros
01-04-2016, 9:41 AM
Carl, I recall your post! Glad to hear you still enjoy the lathe. What is the spindle height of the 2436? Just curious. Thanks.

John just looked at the 2436 specifications and the spindle height from the floor is 46". The 2036 is listed at 44".
Yes I am still enjoying the lathe. My only real complaint is the small box fan inside the control box. It runs constantly even with the lathe shut off, so I have to unplug the machine each night. It is also wired through a capacitor that allows it to continue to run 10 seconds after it is unplugged!
They must be worried about overheating?

Brian Myers
01-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Just looking at the specs and online product descriptions, one very big difference I see between the Laguna/Harvey T50/T60 models and the new Grizzlies is the type of motor used. The former appear to be using 1-phase DC brushless motors, while the Grizzlies use 3-phase AC motors. FWIW, I recall that Grizzly used DC brushless motors on it's now-discontinued G0698, and switched to 3-phase AC (with the Delta M-series VFD) for its successor, the G0733. They carried that through last year to the larger G0766, and now evidently to the G0799 and G0800. One reason Grizzly gave for the change back then was to reduce the tendency of the motor drive to "hunt" for a stable rpm at very low spindle speeds. That issue had been reported on the G0698 and similar Asian lathes. I don't know if it has ever been associated with the motors and motor drives of the T50 or T60.

Why is everyone saying the Laguna Revo's have DC motors when their website lists the 18",20" and 24 " as having TEFC Induction motors with Delta VFD's?

David C. Roseman
01-04-2016, 10:42 AM
Roger -- John, above, addressed what puzzles you. The reason many are skeptical of Grizzly lathes is because of the poor quality of the lathes Grizzly produced prior to the G0733 and G0766. As John explained, many of us owned Grizzly's other woodworking machines and bought their prior lathes based on our faith in the Grizzly brand. Those lathes did not live up to expectations. Every few years, Grizzly would introduce a new lathe that supposedly addressed the concerns with their prior models. Those lathes were disappointments, too. Wash, rinse, and repeat for 15 years. Now, you tell us Grizzly has learned their lessons from prior mistakes and are now making quality lathes. Great!

While we've heard that story before, let's all hope it's true this time. However, I hope you can understand why more than a few are a tad skeptical of Grizzly's ability to produce a quality lathe. Grizzly earned that skepticism. Get back to us in a decade or so. By that time, Grizzly's new models may have earned a reputation for quality and dependability (such as the reputation enjoyed by Grizzly's other woodworking machines).

Gotta love these threads on Grizzly lathes. Doesn't take long to go off the rails. :) Roger sums it up quite well.

David C. Roseman
01-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Why is everyone saying the Laguna Revo's have DC motors when their website lists the 18",20" and 24 " as having TEFC Induction motors with Delta VFD's?

Brian, I saw that too. But doesn't the spec sheet that John Keaton posted above list the motors for the T50 T60 as DC brushless? Perhaps that's only the spec sheet for the Harvey models. Shouldn't be hard for someone to clear this up with a phone call or two.

carl mesaros
01-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Brian I may be wrong but I think Induction motors are DC. My Laguna Revo 2436 has a brushless DC induction motor.

Roger Chandler
01-04-2016, 11:07 AM
My former G0698 had what they called a TEFC D/C Brushless motor......the REVO lineup has D/C motors on them. D/C motors are generally high efficiency, run cooler, and can have the same horsepower in a smaller package than an A/C induction motor.

My former G0698 did not use an inverter like a 3 phase A/C motor does, but rather a controller to manage the torque at lower speeds. Some of research I did on D/C motors speak of their reliability in industrial uses.

They call D/C motors SERVO motors.......I think the REVO moniker is probably a play on that term, but that is just a guess on my part......:confused: I do think some of these tool vendors are rather liberal with their use of terms, in order to try to make selling points! ;)

Brian Myers
01-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Ok , just used to DC motors being called/listed as DC and not as just Induction which lead me to believe they aren't DC but AC.

Roger Chandler
01-04-2016, 1:31 PM
Ok , just used to DC motors being called/listed as DC and not as just Induction which lead me to believe they aren't DC but AC.
The Laguna REVO line of lathes uses D/C motors. If their motors are configured like the Grizzly D/C motors were on the G0698, it has a controller and an encoder inside the motor to give feedback to the controller which in turn governs torque.

Additional: I just went to the Laguna website - the pic shows a D/C motor, but on the video where he is showing the 2036 unit at the AAW symposium, the motor is mostly covered from view by a sign stuck on it. That view sort of looks like an A/C induction motor, so I wonder if they have changed them, or that was just a demo model, and had different specs? The casing on the D/C motors are square, but the A/C are round.

Okay...just looked at the manual ...page 5, "lathe is driven by a brushless D/C Servo motor". The 2436 unit.

Another additional: I just checked my email, and got an ad from Klingslor, and they are featuring the 1836 Revo from Laguna.....it has an A/C TEFC induction motor, and a Delta Electronics S1 inverter, which is the same one on the 3520b.

Looks like it depends on which unit one gets, whether they will get an A/C or D/C motor.......confusing, isn't it?! :confused: The Revo 2036 at Woodcraft website shows a D/C motor on the picture, and so does the 2436 Revo.......the 1836 seems to be the one with the A/C motor.