PDA

View Full Version : Track Saw Track positioning jig

Jim Dwight
12-30-2015, 1:41 PM
I built a parallel jig for my DeWalt track saw based upon one posted on this website. I like it but it, like the Festool parallel guide, doesn't allow you to clamp the track down. I get pretty good results without clamping but prefer to clamp the track. I also wanted the ability to cut pieces ahead of the track to a specific width - typically narrower pieces. I copied the movable hairline from the parallel jig but the rest of the jig is a new idea - at least it was new to me. The basic idea is a dado sized to exactly fit over the rib of the track is what the jig attaches to and a movable stop slides in a wooden t-track and is set using a stick on tape and hairline pointer. There are two versions. One positions the track such that a cut away from the track is the right width. The workpiece is not under the track. The other one is for cutting a workpiece that is under the track. The latter would need modified to work with other track saws that have another rib. But another dado could handle that. I really like these jigs and they were very inexpensive to make up. I use the same jig on both ends of the track (moving it back and forth) but you could use two.

The thing I really like is it gets me away from measuring and marking and then cutting to the mark. I prefer to work like on a table saw or a CMS with a good fence where you set stops or the rip fence to the dimension you want.

Marty Tippin
01-07-2016, 2:51 PM
Giving this thread a bump - Jim originally posted in the "announcements" forum and it seems very few people saw it. I found his jig design interesting and thought others might as well.