PDA

View Full Version : Lining a small box

David Ragan
12-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Hi,

I think this is the correct Forum for a question on lining a small box: flocking v suede v adhesive backed felt.

The box is for someone who collects pens. Box will be about 8 by 11", three separate compartments. Not finished yet-so no picture. 3" deep.

I have black adhesive backed felt, and some DonJer black flocking.

I dont' recall how well the flocking holds up.

SMC Archives have some stuff about suede being a superb liner-our local craft store has some.

My questions:

Flocking is OK, but can look cheap if not done just right?

Any down side to felt?

Suede--may be the best option, considering those pointy pens getting taking in and out of the box.....

--what adhesive to use with suede?

Any definitely do's and dont's?

As always, thanks all.

Happy Holidays,

David

Scott Underwood
12-30-2015, 12:00 PM
As a leather worker, personally I would go with the suede or even a very thin veg-tanned leather. You can attach the suede to unfinished wood using a product called Eco-Flo Leather Weld. It is a Tandy Leather product. Looks like you have two Tandy Leather stores around Atlanta.

Mike Henderson
12-30-2015, 12:03 PM
If you use felt, glue it to some cardboard before you put it in the box. It's easy to cut to size that way. If you try to fit felt as a fabric, it's extremely hard to get it to fit really well.

Mike

Garth Almgren
12-30-2015, 12:14 PM
I've always liked how David Picciuto does his flocking: https://makesomething.tv/use-flocking-enhance-your-boxes

william watts
12-30-2015, 12:41 PM
"Any down side to felt?" It's hard to find good quality felt. The felt all seems to be acrylic now days, it balls up and fuzz's. In the area I live it's hard to find good old fashioned wool felt. A good substitute is pool table cloth, I got some scrapes at shop that sells and repairs pool tables. Glue it to thin cardboard and use double side tape to stick it to the bottom of the box. Thick, heavy , cardboard will curl and pull loose from the bottom of the box.

Bill

Michael Zerance
12-31-2015, 11:51 AM
I just flocked a bunch of jewelry box divider inserts that I made for a custom jewelry safe. It was my first time using the material and they came out great. It is extremely easy to do and the result is flawless. I sprayed the adhesive only because I was doing such a large batch of them at one time. For smaller projects I would have no problem brushing or rolling on the adhesive. The only downside is the lengthy dry time.

I flocked an extra box that I am using in the shop as a test to determine how well the flocking will hold up over time with rough use. I've been using it for a few months to hold miscellaneous shop items (pens, hinges, screws, hardware, squares, rulers, etc.). It gets filled with dust so I blow it out with compressed air regularly. It has held up great with zero noticeable damage or wear.

328267 328266 328268 328269 328270

328271 328272

Shawn Pixley
12-31-2015, 12:13 PM
As one who uses fountain pens (not my own turned pieces) I woulf opt for the suede.

Jay Jolliffe
12-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Very nice jewelry box..

John K Jordan
12-31-2015, 12:14 PM
it's hard to find good old fashioned wool felt

FWIW, you can easily make your own felt from wool. I raise llamas and alpacas and when washing a fleece you have to be careful so it WON'T felt! There are also people who will make custom handmade felt in any size, a few I know around here. They can mix and match fibers and dye for nearly any look. There are probably people like this everywhere - those I know are spinners and knitters who hang out at a Handspinner's Guild/club. But it is pretty easy and you can probably find instructions on the internet. A bag of alpaca wool is easy to find too - I have large quantities of various colors.

Also, I visited a fiber processing plant recently in North Carolina and they had a do-it-yourself felt-making machine you can walk in and rent by the hour.

Note that hand-made felt may not look as even and "perfect" as commercially available, but it will have far more character!

But I like the look of thin leather as well.

JKJ

Mike Henderson
12-31-2015, 12:38 PM
I just flocked a bunch of jewelry box divider inserts that I made for a custom jewelry safe....
Wow, those look great. I've never done any flocking but I'll have to look into it. Good job on the woodwork, too. Congratulations.

Mike

William Adams
12-31-2015, 3:08 PM
Careful of the plastic felt-like stuff, esp. The stuff made from recycled plastic — apparently treating it w/ an acid is a finishing step in the manufacturing process, and traces of that acid may remain on the material and may cause rust. I washed mine in baking powder before using it to line my archery case.

David Ragan
12-31-2015, 6:07 PM
Great ideas.

Michael--beautiful work.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

thanks, david