PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on a new lathe

Richard Demler
12-29-2015, 9:11 PM
Hello everyone,I'm from the great U.P. of Michigan.I'm looking for suggestions on a new lathe.I have an old 12in sears lathe and a couple sorby tools and a handfull of scrapers.I have 2 face plates that I've been using to turn weed pots and little things.I was thinking about getting a chuck to fit the lathe I have but it's seen better days and I have'nt read to many good things about them.I'd like to buy a lathe and chucks to turn weed pots, bowls, plates etc..I'd appreciate any info that you'd be willing to share.Thanks for your time..R.J.Demler

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2015, 9:29 PM
RJ - where in the UP?

Couple of things to take into consideration when it comes to lathe - what is your budget? Do you have power restrictions? (120 vs 220 VAC) Do you have room restrictions?

Richard Demler
12-29-2015, 9:54 PM
Hello Steve,I'm from wallace mi.BUT I get to Harvey every monday morning.I deliver groceries to cherry creek market..Is it possible to get a decent setup for 500.00?I'd like to stick to 120.

Bill Boehme
12-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Delta makes a great midi lathe with 12.5 inch swing for $529. For less money you can get a mini lathe with 10 inch swing that would be good for pens, bottle stoppers and other small items. Rikon has one for $300. Jet also has one for $580 which costs more than the larger Delta midi and I'm not sure that it is any better than the Rikon. Harbor Freight has one for a lot less, but personally I would go for a better one.

My bottom line: choose either the Delta midi or the Rikon mini for a solid machine for a reasonable price.

Richard Demler
12-30-2015, 6:11 AM
Thank you Bill. I also turn shafts for walking canes so a full size lathe is needed.My thinking 500.00 would be enough is kinda out of the question I guess.The more I look around 1500.00 is looking a little more real..

Mark Greenbaum
12-30-2015, 7:01 AM
Grizzly G0766, full size, 22 x 42, 3 HP, 240 v. VFD, heavy, and about $1600 delivered. I'm loving mine regularly. OOPS - gotta go make sawdust. :-)

Thom Sturgill
12-30-2015, 7:22 AM
A lot of the Midis are available with bed extensions. My old Jet 1220 would turn 56" between centers with the extension on. Considerably longer than my 'full sized' Jet 1642.

Roger Chandler
12-30-2015, 8:59 AM
A good midi with a bed extension will put you up near the price range of a Grizzly G0632 which is a clone of the Jet 1642evs 2hp. This is a proven performer, and has a 16 inch swing and 42 inches between centers. They are listed for $1395.00 on the Grizzly website. ....we have some members in our club who have had that lathe for a number of years and it has been reliable, and has 2 hp, VFD Delta S series inverter, but needs 220V power.

A 110V line is easy to convert over to 220v as long as your wire has a ground. New 15 amp double pole breaker, new outlet, wired for two hots and a ground, and you are in business.

Prashun Patel
12-30-2015, 9:12 AM
I own the Delta 46-460 that is a fine lathe. I will advise you though that people (incl me) have had issues with the power switch. Also, if you like to sand with your lathe on, the slowest speed isn't super slow. I like that it's full variable speed, though.

My theory though is that the recipe for better experience and results is equal parts good lathe, good tools, good sharpening.

Richard Demler
12-30-2015, 9:59 AM
Thanks for the additional replies..I'll be reading up on all of them..I appreciate all the wisdom.

Marvin Hasenak
12-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Start watching Craigslist. With a $500 budget used will be your best bet for a good lathe. On a quick look I found this one. https://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/5376941369.html
Belt changes are simple, the slowest speed is a little fast for a bowl blank that is out of balance, but still doable. Great for for everything else you described on your want to do list. I have one like it, except it is the Delta 46-111. I turn duck calls, weed pots, pens, bottle stoppers and boatload of other stuff.

At $300 that leaves you enough for a 4 jaw PSI Barracuda2 chuck and still be under budget.

Allan Ferguson
12-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Check the classifieds on this site. Nova lathe 16 x 44 for sale. Looks like a good deal. Allan

Michael Schneider
12-30-2015, 2:44 PM
Richard,

Welcome. I am answering not as a turning expert, but as someone that:

1) Entered turning with no equipment
2) had limited budget
3) wanted to learn and setup a nice turning space

So you have a bucket of money and a desire to make turned items (mine was a small bucket :-) )

I divided up my needs into the following

1) Spindle turning tools
(it is your choice, but many years ago, several people that I respect suggested on start here)

- others will suggest basic set, I would suggest either good, or very good set

Good : Hurricane , .... nice basic high speed steel (others may suggest others)

Very Good: Thompson, D-Way

2) bowl (I skipped this to use budget for other items, I decided to work on spindle first, then come back to bowls)

3) sharpening
Grinder

Good - Rikon - bought basic on sale for ~ $220 at woodcraft (The $200 will last you for some time vs $800-$900 for baldor lifetime purchase, I went with the $220)
Best - Baldor 8" (nice but too pricy for me to start up)

Sharpening Guides (oneway wolverine + variagrind )(Lifetime purchase)

Optional but very nice - Robo Rest (oneway compatable -) Nice to help set grinding angles ($50 for old, $99 for new)
CBN Wheel - (lifetime purchase - suggest you buy first)

I bought 2 - 180 and 600 (others may suggest

others, and that is fine) You can get buy with one to start - people seem so suggest seem to be 180

4) holding

Live Center (for your tailstock) - I use oneway (others may suggest others)

Drive Center - Penn State has a nice multi drive set for $60 that screws onto your headstock- nice to start

Chuck - (You will want one, but you can learn basics with drive center and add after a couple of months)

I started a while ago and use vicmarc, but oneway is also very good, some people speak highly of hurricane, but I have never used one

Many homemade devices (glue blocks, etc can be used until you get a chuck)

5) Lathe
I tend to buy used equipment, I was looking for a mini lathe to start, but found a General 160, and started with that. I would hold off buying your lifetime lathe until you learn the basics of turning. These basics will be the same for the small lathe as the large one. Note: you can still turn long on a small lathe with an extension. Later I found a oneway 1018 (small lathe) that I use for most of my turning now. I will likely buy a bare vicmark 300 and build it out because I like to know how my tools work, and can customize it.

I decided to:
1) Buy good grinding system, but not the best grinder. 2 CBN wheels (always balanced, no wheel size changes). Oneway wolverine, Oneway variagrind, Robo grinder platforms. I wanted to learn and use the best tools that I could. I also bought some d-way and thompson tools.

2) Focus on spindle turning, so I did not have to buy bowl gouges of get a chuck right away

3) Shopped for used lathe (It is ok if you are not a used tool person, you can get a nice new lathe, it is your pile of money, you should spend it as you like

After playing for awhile
1) added Vicmark Chuck and some jaws

2) added bowl gouges to learn basics of bowls

Next on my list
1) get better with bowls
2) add some hollowing tools

I hope this is helpful. I suggest identifying a plan to get to turning, then setup up your priorities, then buy in lumps and learn as you go.

Buy the minimum you need to accomplish your goal. You will then know more when you spend you next lump. Don't try to buy everything up frount.

Happy Turning and welcome,

Michael

Richard Demler
01-01-2016, 8:25 AM
After reading all of the replies,and thinking about my needs I have come to one conclusion...I will keep my old craftsman lathe at least temporarily..It does ok for the cane shafts that I have been turning between centers..When thinking about what I really want to turn a lot of for a long time and a midi with the right chucks would be great..I've been turning dried flower pots and little containers..I did my first craft show just before Christmas and did pretty well for a first timer..I really want to turn bowls and small containers with lids,and ornaments..I want to thank everyone for their input!! Now I will start my search for the perfect midi.Then on to questions about chucks.....Have a great New Year!!! And Thank you!!

Reed Gray
01-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Generally the best bang for your bucks is to buy used. Best source for used lathes is the nearest turning clubs. Even if you are not a member, contact them and ask. You can generally pick up some tools that way as well. Other than that, if you can get variable speed as in twist a knob, and not the reeves drives, you will love it.

robo hippy