PDA

View Full Version : What is on your list?

Dave Bartley
09-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Now that summer is officially behind us, many of us will be heading back to the shop. Many of us have projects in mind to build, others don't know what they are going to do. So I thought that those who do know what they are going to build could share with the rest of us, it could inspire others on a project.

I have two large projects on my list. First will be a new curio cabinet for my Bride. The next one will be a folding table made of Ipe.

So what is on your upcoming list?

Michael Em
09-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Window seat
Tow-In surfboard
Video game arcade cabinet
New bed and dresser
Computer table/workstation

Michael

Jim Becker
09-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Finish my bench cabinet
New railing system for the library/loft
My two-year old chair project
A lot of turning...'been away from the lathe for too looonnnggggg
New cabinetry for the great room
New library shelving

The official list will likely get much longer as the unofficial list is interminable... :D

Larry Browning
09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
My number one priority is to add insulation, weather stripping and caulk to seal up everything in the house and shop before winter gets here. Heating cost is going to KILL me this year anyway, so anything I can do help keep my usage down will pay for itself pretty quickly.

After that:
1) a new computer desk for the wife in the office
2) wall cabinets and book case for the office.
3) Rework some shop cabinets that were given to me.
4) Build more storage cabinets for the shop
5) Add TS blade guard/dust collection
6) Make a downdraft sanding table

Plus whatever else comes along for family and friends.

PS Most of this may not get done. Because I am the slowest woodworker on the planet! But I have fun anyway.

Mark Singer
09-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Partial list....

Tom Jones III
09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
It is going to be a fun fall:
1. I'm finishing up 3 changing tables/dressers for the Crisis Pregnancy Center.
2. Podium for a church. I got a sketch from someone and I'm really excited about the design.
3. Beds for kids whose families have graduated from an intensive program at a local homeless shelter. These families will be ready to leave the shelter and get their own place, but CPS won't let them until they pass a number of hurdles. One of those hurdles is that they must have a bed for every child. This is a great project helping people who are helping themselves.
4. Federal style writing desk for those days that I work from home.

I'll intermittenly upgrade the shop while I'm doing the other projects. Mainly I need to build a fence for my router table and work on better dust collection for several tools.

Paul Canaris
09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Lumber rack

Rustic Bench for front porch of house

Storage case for reference straight edges

Wall mounted storage cabinets for workshop

Double doors to replace roll up door in workshop

Cutting boards

As you can see, most of what I am doing lately involves getting my workshop up to a more functional level. This is a bit of a drag, as I dont seem to be doing any fine woodworking lately... :o

Of course the house projects go on and on:

Ceramic tiling of:
Two bathrooms
Sun room
Kitchen

Storage shed

Renovating bathroom cabinets

And anything else my wife wants....:eek:

Mike Circo
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Morris Chair to replace the sagging recliner in the Family room. (if I can affort the leather cushons)

Narrow Waist "Grandfather" clock for front hall. (if I can afford the westminster workings)

Large craftsman, two glass doored book case for family room to go where the fireplace should have been (couldn't afford the fireplace.... See a trend yet?)

The chair is functional, the others more ornimental so I should be able to justify the time and expense to do it. It sure stinks to be a single dad sometimes.

Keel McDonald
09-06-2005, 12:37 PM
1. 3 receptionist desks for church
2. kitchen cabinets
3. kitchen table

Dennis McDonaugh
09-06-2005, 12:55 PM
cherry dining table and 6 chairs.

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 1:20 PM
Roll around table to hold Jig saw (get it off of my bench)
New table for mini joiner (4" joiner that was a freebee)
3 small tables for church
New latice work around pool equipment
As much turning as I can get in.

Andrew Ault
09-06-2005, 1:44 PM
Remodel bathroom (working on drawings right now)
Build more guest bedroom furniture
"Japanese" style enclosure for spa
Remodel kitchen
More shop jigs
Improve patio
...on and on

Lee DeRaud
09-06-2005, 1:54 PM
DVD storage rack.
Display cabinet for some of the 1/18 scale die-cast cars.
New patio cover (unless I wimp out and buy a motorized awning :p ).

And maybe laser some marble tile, if I can just get off my butt and order some from Keith. :o

Or maybe get a mini-lathe and fall into the Abyss.:D

Steve Clardy
09-06-2005, 2:18 PM
Oh gosh. Where to start is my problem. Way to many projects.

Finish the inside of the house. Trim, some sheetrock, some ceramic tile.

New book shelves. Upper bath vanity cabinet.
Either finish the existing kitchen cabinets I started five years ago, or rip them out and start over again.:rolleyes:
Tear down the present well house. [Termites have destroyed it.] And build a new one.
Finish painting outside the house.

Finish shop ceiling insulation before cold weather gets here. [I've said that the last 4-5 years.]
Finish my shop addition spray room. Mud and tape and paint.
Start restoring my 1978 F-100 shortbed. [With a gas hog 460]
Get the bass boat running again and either sell it or use it.

On and on-----:rolleyes:

John Bailey
09-06-2005, 2:53 PM
1. Finish the shop. (I'm determined to finish the shop before major projects)

2. 18' Cedar Strip Sea Kayak

3. Inuit Style Kayak Paddle

4. 15' Carvel Daysailor

5. Mountain Dulcimer

(Notice I can't build anything in a straight line.)

Scott Coffelt
09-06-2005, 2:59 PM
I need to finish up a few things (low cost projects) for my sons playroom - play table and computer desk.

Then I can focus on normal furniture stuff:
- Dinning Room Table (still designing, but leaning towards Bubinga, Wenge & Maple)
- Dinning Room Chairs
- Dinning Room Buffet Cabinet

- Small TV stand - Maple & Walnut

That's a start and there is plenty in waiting.

Sam Blasco
09-06-2005, 3:29 PM
Finish up the "Chisel Shrine", was supposed to just be a storage cabinet that has taken on a mind of it's own. I wanted to have it done for last weekend's class... Maybe it will be done, or close to it by the next one. Then the bed I promised the missus (I sure hope it is done by the holidays, or as she puts it, "It better be!") Woodworking is fun sport.

Dale Rodabaugh
09-06-2005, 3:42 PM
Looks like everyone has some great projects in mind.I have been working on a cabinet for my entertainment center,to store misc.,DVDs,CDs,tapes,etc.in.Got to finish that one up.Then My better half who is a quilter has given me a set of plans to build a sewing center,for her shop.That will take quite awhile.When I finish that I am sure she will have something else for me.The nice thing about making stuff for her,quilt racks,display racks,etc.is that she really appreciates the things I do for her.:) :) :rolleyes:

David Duke
09-06-2005, 4:17 PM
Since my first grandbaby is due next March, Grandma has several "baby" projects lined out for me (of course she having to twist my arm:D ).

1. First will be a baby bed which will introduce me to my first attempt at bent lamination.
2. Cradle.
3. High chair.
4. ???????????

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 4:25 PM
Since my first grandbaby is due next March, Grandma has several "baby" projects lined out for me (of course she having to twist my arm:D ).

1. First will be a baby bed which will introduce me to my first attempt at bent lamination.
2. Cradle.
3. High chair.
4. ???????????

4. ??????????? Changing table
5. Dresser

:D

Your gonna be a busy gandpa

Earl Reid
09-06-2005, 5:32 PM
I will make my 4th blanket chest for 5 yr old grandaughter, Start on 4 major projects for Grandsons, possible some type of chest?? paint the garage and what ever comes up. Also turning pens.
Earl :)

John Scarpa
09-06-2005, 7:36 PM
1 Finish the shop
2 Finish the shop
3 Finish the shop

You get the idea! :)

Steve Schoene
09-07-2005, 8:17 AM
Walnut Bookpress, Virginia construction details.
Completion of shop insulation--wall sheathing.
Organize, organize, organize.

Calvin Hobbs
09-07-2005, 9:13 AM
1.Run 220 for my saw as we just moved.
2. Hardwood floors in the kitchen and dining room.
3. Bedside tables(2).
4. Finish the philadelphia lowboy I started earlier this year.
5. Finish the chippendale chair I have 75% complete.

I'll be doing great if I can get anywhere close to getting these done.

Cal

Eddie Watkins
09-07-2005, 10:04 AM
End table for the study, nearly done
Entertainment center - started
Bed for my granddaughter
Chest for my granddaughter
dresser for my granddaughter
Good thing I only have one granddaughter:) but this could establish a really bad precedent:o

Frank Pellow
09-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I am not going to be able to get back to projects in my shop until winter really sets in. Before then, I need to:

1) Finish restoring and tidying up our basement after recent flood damage due to the backing up of the storm sewers.

2) Disconnect our eaves troughs from the storm sewers and redirect them to flow into our gardens.

2) Replace the tiles on the roof of our house and garage (to match those on my new shop building).

3) Sand then paint all the trim on our house.

4) Tidy up our garage, install shelving, etc.

5) Fix up the interior of the garden shed that I recently restored for my daughter Kathleen.

6) Frame a couple of rooms in the basement of my daughter's house.

7) Go to my sister's winter house in Mexico, and help them to upgrade their solar power system.

Frank Pellow
09-07-2005, 10:05 AM
End table for the study, nearly done
Entertainment center - started
Bed for my granddaughter
Chest for my granddaughter
dresser for my granddaughter
Good thing I only have one granddaughter:) but this could establish a really bad precedent:o
Sounds like a GREAT precedent to me! :)

Jeff Sudmeier
09-07-2005, 10:10 AM
My next set of projects is a bedroom set for our masterbedroom. Consisiting of at least 2 dressers, 2 night stands and a bed. May include an armouir(sp?).

I also may build a big (24 gun) cabinet for my cousin, he hasn't yet decided! :)

Dave Anderson NH
09-07-2005, 12:40 PM
1. The major one right now is to complete the tiger maple Queen Anne handkerchief table before Christmas.

2. Finally get around to making the dovetailed drawers for my mortising stand.

3. Build a lower shelf and box to add weight to my new lathe.

4. Add a dropped ceiling in the shops bench room.

5. Major Major reorganization of the bench room for better work flow and more storage of my growing assortment of hand tools.

6. Reorganize yet again.