PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to another town

steven c newman
12-29-2015, 6:03 PM
After taking the Boss out for her Birthday Lunch, and dropping her off at Wall E World ( HER favourite place!) I snuck into town, as there was two antique store right downtown. Even found a parking place right out front! Going to be a good day.... Smaller of the two stores had prices that match my budget....passed on a few handsaws....some wood bodied planes ( have too many now) and settled for a #5c with a UNION lever cap ($12!!) and a small toy like plane. I spotted that smaller plane while checking out. Noticed a crack, and talked a little bit off the $29 price tag....got it for $22..

So..what all did I find? besides the HIGH prices at the second store?
Jack plane will need a bit of rehab work. Already have the Stanley No.90 cleaned up and sharp.
It has a patent date on the iron, and a "B" on the casting. In the second picture, you can make out the crack. Rear depth knob has a STANLEY cast into it. There is a "90" cast into the toe piece.

Not too bad a day? :D

steven c newman
12-29-2015, 8:32 PM
Iron from the #5c is a Union MFG Co. stamped iron. Hole is at the top of the slot. Iron is thick, but not tapered. Thinking the knob on the front end is a replacement. I do have a low knob in the spares box..

Lateral lever will need to be re-bent back to what is should be. Depth adjust has left hand threads, so this is right before Stanley bought out Union, or right after.....about 1920 or so...

Unlike the stanley No.90, haven't found any cracks in the jack plane. Someone has used a hammer a few times to set the depth of cut. Top edge of the iron has a slight flared end. Might loose that Sears green colour scheme, and go back to the black tone. No rust on the sole, hardly any on the sides. Iron's edge has three small chip-outs. Should be able to cure that issue when I sharpen it up.

$35.38 for the pair....not too bad a day?

steven c newman
12-30-2015, 1:24 PM
Got the Union #5c all refurbbed up today:
Black paint removed from the rear handle, low knob came from the Spares Box
That is a Spares Box bolt, oem one was too worn down under the head. Had to shorten the "new" bolt. Shavings are Curly Maple
Once the depth was set.
Gave the $22 No.90 a test drive on the Maple. Might just do when I need to trim some tenons....
Both seemed to clean up nicely. May have to go out on another Road Trip?

Stew Denton
12-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Hi Steven,

I don't think you robbed anyone, but in my opinion you came away pretty good.

I always look at it, for my own purchases, as compared to the cost of new of equal quality, and I think the old Stanley planes are excellent. The Union planes are ones I have never looked over, but what little I have heard has been good things about them. I only look for Stanley because they are so common, they are the ones I have decided to go with because of parts availability, and so I have made the effort to learn about them.

Thus by my way of thinking, compared to new prices and to Ebay prices with shipping costs, I again think you came away pretty well. For what it's worth, it looks like you are making them in to pretty good users, and good users is what I go for too.

Good job,

Stew

steven c newman
12-31-2015, 9:24 PM
While cleaning the N0.90 up....there are four, threaded holes on the left hand side. The same bolt for the N0. 39's nickers will fit these holes. I can see where someone had scratched out "layout lines" This holes are set up in two pairs. The holes in each pair are spaced like a nicker was there. The top of each pair of holes are lined up with each other. And, there is a pair of line connecting the top two holes. There is also a deeper scratched line along the bottom of the two lower holes. Not so much as a single mark on the right hand side, though. I'll see IF I can get a few pictures..
Not sure IF they show up here. Mark on the sole is just where some plating had worn away.
Will post a few more as I get them....

steven c newman
12-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Not the greatest, but the best I seem to be able to get..right now
There is a bolt from the No. 39 in one of the holes
Not sure how many of the lines show up, that one right under the handi-grip seems to a part of them
There are two lines, one on each side of these two holes. Then two more at right angle to the first two, running right across the top part of the Handi-grip.

Patent dates on the iron are from before 1900. This isn't a SW version
It has STANLEY cast into the depth adjuster. I did clean up the sole, though..
Sole is also flattened, as there was a slight ridge right down the center. There is maybe 5% plating left.

Would these holes be for some sort of handle ( hotdog) or a fence of some sort? Threads match Stanley threads.....

Chris Hachet
01-01-2016, 9:20 AM
NEAT! I always enjoy your finds....

steven c newman
01-02-2016, 10:55 AM
More than welcome to come over and try them out.......

steven c newman
01-04-2016, 1:24 AM
Soo, what exactly do I do with that Stanley No.90? Shoulder plane? Clean a rebate? Someone in the past, seemed to think a fence was needed? Threaded holes are there for it, not sure what kind they put on it, or why.

It has two patent dates on the iron. STANLEY is cast into the depth adjuster. Plenty of cutter length left on it, too. maybe make it into a user?

Chris Hachet
01-04-2016, 8:36 AM
More than welcome to come over and try them out.......

I should be PMing you shortly.