PDA

View Full Version : Photo editing software

Lee Schierer
12-29-2015, 12:44 PM
I like the FUSE feature of Windows Live Photo Gallery. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with Windows 10.

Does anyone have photo editing software with the FUSE (photo merge, not panorama) feature that was available in Windows Live photo gallery. I want to be able to do what was done in these photos.328130328131328132

Grant Wilkinson
12-29-2015, 1:03 PM
Irfanview is a free application. Look at the panorama feature.

Mike Henderson
12-29-2015, 1:05 PM
I have PhotoShop Elements and I've done similar things. But PhotoShop Elements is a pay product.

Mike

Lee Schierer
12-29-2015, 2:06 PM
Irfanview is a free application. Look at the panorama feature.

I want to overlay photos, notvdo panaoramas.

Lee Schierer
12-29-2015, 2:07 PM
I have photoshop elements, but it does not have the FUSE feature.

David L Morse
12-29-2015, 2:10 PM
XnView - Tools - Create strip of images...

It's my favorite editor and it's free.

Edit: Oh, I see. Overlay. Never mind.

Kev Williams
12-29-2015, 3:01 PM
Leave it to Microsoft to outdate a perfectly good program so it won't work with the new OS... :mad:

any photo software will do that, just have to jump thru a couple of hoops...

Just take the pics you want to fuse, add up the approximate length in pixels, then start a new empty photo window at the length--like, three 1200 x 800 pics, enter 4000 x 1000 (extra in case), then just copy the first pic and paste it in the new window, position it to the upper left, hit enter to 'plant' it; then copy/paste each additional pic, put it where you want, etc... when done, crop and save...

Sounds like lots of work, but once you get used to it, a 4-pic fuse will take only a minute...

Matt Meiser
12-29-2015, 4:54 PM
Yeah the nerve of them discontinuing a free product like that. 3+ years ago...

There are a number of photo apps in the Windows Store. Doubt you'll find one with a feature named the same but one of them is bound to have that functionality presented in a manner that works for you.

Lee Schierer
12-29-2015, 5:41 PM
Well, we all owe MS an apology. I did some more research and found an answer in the MS Community fourm of all places that tells how to do it. Installing Windows Live Photo Gallery in Windows 10 (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-live-photo-gallery/115e342e-93cd-4305-9eb1-963cbaad7061)

I just installed it on my Windows 10 computer and it works. You have to restart your computer and install it "off line" apparently. The file you want is wlsetup-all.exe

John K Jordan
12-29-2015, 8:52 PM
It depends on what level of quality you want. In your example the seam of the join is obvious in the water ripples. I don't know about the Fuse you mention but if it is an automatic or semi-automatic method all I've seen suffer from tradeoffs that produce amateur results. This might be ok for quick snapshots.

You can do a professional job with nearly any software that supports layers and masks but it does take some time. I can't recommend anything specific since I stick to Photoshop, having relied on it for my work for decades - it has many powerful tools for manipulating photos. The Extract feature alone makes a task like you mention trivial. But it is WAY too expensive for casual use and its general flexibility demands a steep learning curve. Photoshop Elements will do most of what you can do with the full program but at a fraction of the cost.

BTW, combining two people into one photo seems a bit unusual - most people want me to seamlessly cut out someone they no longer get along with!! :-)

JKJ

Lee Schierer
12-29-2015, 9:39 PM
BTW, combining two people into one photo seems a bit unusual

When my wife and I travel we can't always find a handy person to take a photo of the two of us. Fuse allows us to be in the same photo. The water ripples show because I did it pretty quickly. Check this one out.328176

Shawn Pixley
12-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Lee, Sorry can't help you. Is that Mendenhall Glacier?

John K Jordan
12-29-2015, 11:17 PM
Ah, that sounds like a good reason! (As long as the background is not changing.) Beats carrying a tripod and using the timer.

Maybe I'll run into you somewhere. I'm one of those crazy people who jump in and say "Hey, you guys want a picture together?" I've met more interesting people that way in every country I've visited, often communicating by gestures. I just stay away from the ones swinging selfie sticks...

JKJ

Andrew Pitonyak
12-30-2015, 12:27 AM
I have done that sort of thing using GIMP (it is free), but it is not an automatic process. I have not tried it with Windows 10.

Lee Schierer
12-30-2015, 8:50 AM
Maybe I'll run into you somewhere. I'm one of those crazy people who jump in and say "Hey, you guys want a picture together?" I've met more interesting people that way in every country I've visited, often communicating by gestures. I just stay away from the ones swinging selfie sticks...

JKJ

I also help people get photos of themselves when we travel, but I'm a bit reluctant to hand my SLR over to just anybody unless they also have an SLR type camera.

Lee, Sorry can't help you. Is that Mendenhall Glacier?

Yes, those photos were taken when we were in Juneau on our 3 week Alaska trip.