PDA

View Full Version : Good source for 40+ Inch clamps?

Mike Dowell
12-29-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm going to be building a few bookcases for my house, and I'm going to be needing multiple clamps to clamp the sides together on the shelves. The cases are going to be 40.25" total in width.

I was wondering what you all are using, and if I'm foolish to buy 8 or so of these http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-7248-48-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Steel/dp/B0000224CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451410319&sr=8-1&keywords=48%22+clamp

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

Ben Rivel
12-29-2015, 12:50 PM
If you want to go super cheap but still good, you can go with Bessey pipe clamps (LINK (http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-H-Style-Pipe-Clamp-Fixture-Set-for-3-4-in-Black-Pipe-BPC-H34/204986131)) and use 3/4" black pipe from Home Depot or Lowes to make any size clamp you want. If you want to go super nice, get some 50" Bessey REVO Parallel clamps, best price for those is Home Depot (LINK (http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-50-in-K-Body-REVO-Parallel-Clamp-with-Composite-Plastic-Handle-and-3-3-4-in-Throat-Depth-KR3-550/204986216)) as they are on sale until the end of the year.

Prashun Patel
12-29-2015, 12:54 PM
I'd get some 3/4" pipe clamp heads and use black, threaded pipe to connect them. You can lay them down and glue up the shelves with the cabinet on its side, and then use a 2nd row on top.

Personally, I like pipe clamps for a lot of glue ups, because they tighten more easily and with less force than my cabinet clamps.

I really like my Bessey pipe clamps. AMZN has them for about $15, shipped...

If you go cheap, you risk having the rear part of the clamp slipping on the pipe. I learned that the hard way.

glenn bradley
12-29-2015, 1:17 PM
So many possible answers to this ;-) For a different possibility, I find these often handy for this type of joint if the pieces can be reached appropriately.

Frederick Skelly
12-29-2015, 1:34 PM
Mike, those big jorgys you linked to look like nice clamps for $40 each. But I keep asking myself "how often will those get used?"

If you think you'll use long clamps like those regularly, Id go to home depot and buy the 50" Besseys that Ben suggested. Parallel clamps are nice things to have! The only downside is they are bulky and heavy so you need room to store them.

If you don't anticipate using 40 inch clamps regularly, I'd buy a good set of pipe clamps because they are easy to use and can be made into smaller clamps you might use more often, afterwards. My big clamps don't get used too often, so I bought some Pony pipe clamps. I take the long pipe off and (easily) store it and repurpose the "head and tail" to 18" pieces of pipe.

Good luck on your book cases!
Fred

Dave Arnett
12-29-2015, 1:38 PM
"...and if I'm foolish to buy 8 or so of these http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-7248...ds=48%22+clamp"

(http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-7248-48-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Steel/dp/B0000224CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451410319&sr=8-1&keywords=48%22+clamp)IMO...for that kinda money, yes.

"I'd get some 3/4" pipe clamp heads and use black, threaded pipe to connect them. You can lay them down and glue up the shelves with the cabinet on its side, and then use a 2nd row on top.

Personally, I like pipe clamps for a lot of glue ups, because they tighten more easily and with less force than my cabinet clamps."

My thoughts, exactly!

Kevin Jenness
12-29-2015, 1:39 PM
For economy go with pipe clamps. They are quite versatile, as you can put the fittings on shorter pipes and make up various lengths with unions and pipe sections threaded on both ends. That said, I dislike them for the fact that most types roll over on the bench with little provocation, the pipes are not very stiff and the fittings roll on the pipes when they shouldn't and refuse to unthread when they should. Bear in mind that my experience is based on trade use where many people use the clamps and few take an interest in maintenance.

The Jorgensen 72 series are excellent heavy duty clamps, with the accent on heavy. Not a foolish, but a serious investment. Eight of them will probably weigh more than the case you are gluing up, so take care with squaring up the assembly and don't drop them on your toes.

I have a number of the 72's, but i tend to use my Jorgensen aluminum bar clamps more often, when I don't need to crush bones. They are far lighter (and less expensive) and usually adequate in terms of force. You can probably get a dozen for less than eight of the steel ones. The Dubuque aluminum clamps are probably equivalent with a more ergonomic butterfly handle.

I don't have experience with parallel clamps, but people like them. They may allow you to do without cauls on shallow cases. I suspect they rival the weight of the heavy bar clamps and are at least as expensive.

Mike Dowell
12-29-2015, 1:49 PM
Well, pipe clamps it is!!! Thanks everyone, for your input on this. No, I probably won't use these too frequently. I am a wood shop for a living, but most of what I do is refinishing and repair work on antiques and mid century modern stuff. I actually almost never do any custom building, because my shop really isn't set up for building furniture. For example, I have a wonderful Powermatic table saw, but I don't have a jointer or planer. I tend to buy what I really need for the most part, so in this case, I think it sounds appropriate to use pipe clamps.

Thanks again!

Prashun Patel
12-29-2015, 1:51 PM
Ok, Mike. So here's what you're going to do:

You're going to buy a bunch of Besey 3/4" pipe clamps, and you're going to 'rent' a bunch of 48" pipe from HD.

Then you're going to sell me all those pipe clamp fixtures for pennies on the dollar. Deal?

Mike Dowell
12-29-2015, 2:03 PM
Ok, Mike. So here's what you're going to do:

You're going to buy a bunch of Besey 3/4" pipe clamps, and you're going to 'rent' a bunch of 48" pipe from HD.

Then you're going to sell me all those pipe clamp fixtures for pennies on the dollar. Deal?

Nice. I like that:)

David Eisenhauer
12-29-2015, 5:59 PM
When I win the lottery, I will never-ever use pipe clamps again, ever. I use the Jorgensen 72's (36", 48") shown above, but have to go to pipe for long-long clamping jobs. I do have two of the 72s in 6' length, but usually need more and then there are the 8' long projects. It may be a result of using cheaper pipe clamp fixtures, but the d@#$n things slip and the two ends are never aligned with each other. The actual clamping ends are dinky sized and don't accept clamping pads as easy as my real clamps do. I bought the 72s back in the day before the Bessey clamps were spread around to the extent that they are now. When first introduced, the Bessey's were expensive.

Jon Nuckles
12-29-2015, 6:02 PM
I own 4 of the heavy duty Jorgys, but almost always reach for my cabinet master parallel clamps instead. The I-bar clamps are just plain heavy and, while they have more clamping power than anything else I've used, you don't really need that much pressure for most things. I've never been a fan of pipe clamps for everyday use, but they will do the job you are looking at without breaking the bank. Whatever clamps you buy, do use cauls to make sure your sides don't bow out in the center.

johnny means
12-29-2015, 7:07 PM
I don't understand the "how often will I need these" argument. 40 inch clamps work on everything under 40 inches too. Personally, I only go to pipe clamps when they don't make a clamp long enough. They, IMO, just are to rough and imprecise. The also, lacking any really square geometry, aren't great for squaring up glue ups like doors or drawer boxes. Also, the shallow depth often calls for two clamps where one parallel would suffice. Lastly, and most importantly, if you're going to make a substantial addition to and investment in your clamp collection, don't you want something nice. Pipe clamps aren't that cheap anyway, over $20 out the door.

Warren Wilson
12-29-2015, 7:27 PM
These seem as useful as the heavey-duty and a fraction the weight: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70618&cat=1,43838

Frederick Skelly
12-29-2015, 7:46 PM
I don't understand the "how often will I need these" argument. 40 inch clamps work on everything under 40 inches too. Personally, I only go to pipe clamps when they don't make a clamp long enough. They, IMO, just are to rough and imprecise. The also, lacking any really square geometry, aren't great for squaring up glue ups like doors or drawer boxes. Also, the shallow depth often calls for two clamps where one parallel would suffice. Lastly, and most importantly, if you're going to make a substantial addition to and investment in your clamp collection, don't you want something nice. Pipe clamps aren't that cheap anyway, over $20 out the door.

Johnny, I agree with all of what you said. My point about "how often will I use these" is just based on my own shop, my own experience and my budget. I have a lot of clamps in different sizes (I watch for sales). So I never reach for the really long ones unless I have to. I prefer clamps closer to the size of the work - it's easier for me. I mean, if I'm building a box that's 12" x 18", I really don't want to wrestle a 50" Bessey Parallel clamp unless it's all I have left at that point. So my long clamps don't get used except on very large work, which I don't do often enough to warrant the cost of 50" Besseys. I hope that makes a little more sense.

Best regards,
Fred

Frederick Skelly
12-29-2015, 7:49 PM
These seem as useful as the heavey-duty and a fraction the weight: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70618&cat=1,43838

Yes, those are supposed to be an excellent product. I wish they made them in 18" - I'd buy a set and retire my old Garrett Wade set.

jack duren
12-29-2015, 7:51 PM

There aren't many that can compare to the Jorgensen I-Bar. Pipe clamps are cheaper and work well on a budget. The I-bar clamps are a premium clamp for clamping.

We are destroying pipe clamps at work and I'm trying to convince them on the long term investment of the I-bars..

Jim Dwight
12-29-2015, 8:07 PM
These are certainly inexpensive enough:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps/60-in-aluminum-f-style-bar-clamp-60673.html

You can also machine up a wooden insert to stiffen them. I haven't tried them yet but probably will. What I use are pipe clamps. I have 1/2 inch and 3/4 but prefer the 3/4. I have them on galvanized pipe and black. The galvanized needs a swat of the hammer to lock in the dead end but work.

HF also makes ends for pipe clamps and I have some. They work fine.

Bob Hoffmann
12-30-2015, 10:32 AM
I have the Dewalt trigger clamp extra large clamps on my list of ones to use ... so much easier to use than pipe clamps and act as parallel clamps -- and have really good clamping pressure.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-50-in-X-Large-Trigger-Clamp-DWHT83188/204988149

Pipe clamps will work, but they are my last ones to grab for a clamping job. For the money that you are going to spend, get a clamp that you will use again and is ease to get set.

Gregory King
12-30-2015, 1:16 PM
The Bessey H clamps are really hard to beat for me! Greg

jack duren
12-30-2015, 5:02 PM
I have the Dewalt trigger clamp extra large clamps on my list of ones to use ... so much easier to use than pipe clamps and act as parallel clamps -- and have really good clamping pressure.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-50-in-X-Large-Trigger-Clamp-DWHT83188/204988149

Pipe clamps will work, but they are my last ones to grab for a clamping job. For the money that you are going to spend, get a clamp that you will use again and is ease to get set.

The dewalt and many of the clamps suggested aren't even in the same category. There's really a lot of confusion between woodworkers and the clamps they should be using in different situations of clamping.

There should be a break down on the forum of a clamp, what it is most commonly used for and whether it is light,med or heavy duty. I noticed over the years many on this and other forums buying clamps that are too light for some woodworking tasks

Bill ThompsonNM
12-30-2015, 11:23 PM
From the work the OP does, repairing, refinishing furniture-- a set of good pipe clamps should be ideal. Sooner or later you're likely to need to clamp up a big table for repairs. Then you can just pop out for some 10 ft pipe and you're all set. I was glad I had some good pipe clampd when I needed to glue up a large entrance door. Just added some more pipe too my shop and got the job done

Chip Byrd
12-31-2015, 6:49 AM
Menards puts the Jorgensen pipe clamps on sale 4 or 5 times a year. You can get the 48" for $28 during that sale.

Ole Anderson
12-31-2015, 8:53 AM
Clamps? You don't need no stinkin' clamps. Nobody on the TV shows use them and they are pros. Just a squirt of glue and go at it with your nail gun. Shelves in a jiffy! ;)

Jim Mackell
12-31-2015, 10:29 AM

Rockler had the same clamps, maybe they still do. Prone to slipping under pressure. I returned mine and went back to pipes.

Bill McNiel
12-31-2015, 2:49 PM
I was in town yesterday to get wood and stopped by Woodcraft. They had Bessey Revos 24" & 40" on sale for 25% off. Don't know if this is national or just the Seattle store.