PDA

View Full Version : When are you most productive for work or shop?

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2005, 9:16 AM
OK....I know there are some of you out there. What hours of the day are you most productive in the shop or at worK?

Alan Turner
09-06-2005, 9:42 AM
Dennis,
Nice poll, but you forgot my best hours, which are 3 - 7 am. So, I opted for 8-5, but the 1-3 stretch is actually siesta time.

Erin Raasch
09-06-2005, 9:51 AM
I've got to echo Alan's response, though I'm not up and going quite as early as 3 AM. :o On weekends, it's up & at 'em early, and a requisite afternoon nap. :D

Erin

Jim Becker
09-06-2005, 9:57 AM
3-7am is not a time you'll find me in my shop, at work or doing anything other than dreaming...unless I have to catch a plane and I try to avoid that, too. When I want real concentration...mid-afternoon is the start of that. Interestingly enough, Dr. SWMBO is pretty much the same.

Jim Hager
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
You should have included some earlier hours in the poll like around 6:30 a.m. I am a fairly early riser and get right to work in the mornings just after a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee and of course right after I check the postings on my favorite web-forums.

Donnie Raines
09-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I picked the 8-5 as well.....kinda boreing I no. I play my best golf around 2:00, my best meals come in around 6:00 and my best woodworking....I'm still waiting on that one.... :cool: :D

Norman Hitt
09-06-2005, 1:43 PM
I have worked, all shifts, and can fit into any kind of hours with really no problems, but since childhood, I have always preferred staying up Late and sleeping later in the mornings. I have also never required as much sleep as most folks seem to. Most of my life, 6 hrs sleep was a LONG night for me. I have really preferred, and my MOST productive hours seem to be from about 9 PM til about 4 to 5 AM, and then I get a little sleepy. Nights just seem to have less distractions/interruptions, and it's easier to concentrate. During the years when I was a pilot, and also those as a Truck Driver, I Always preferred the Night trips, because they were easier due to less traffic. On other jobs where I worked every day for 5 or 6 days per week, I actually preferred the Day shift, but ONLY because there was NO Social life when working the evening or night shifts.

Larry Browning
09-06-2005, 2:10 PM
I picked 8-5 but I am MUCH more productive 8-noon than noon-5 and by the time I get home in the evening I am pretty well shot mentally. So, more often than not, I find myself parked in front of the TV instead of down in the shop after dinner. Mostly because of my personal rule about not running sharp tools when I am tired.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-06-2005, 2:13 PM
Well, as I'm a "Dungeon" dweller, I usually get down there around 11 PM or so, and head to bed around 3 to 4 AM, depending on how it is going ;)

I work from 10 AM to 11 PM at the L shop, so that kind of shoots my days all to heck:D

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
09-06-2005, 2:18 PM
My normal work-shift was 6AM-3PM, got most of my real work done between 6 and 11. Now I try to "sleep in" until 7 or so, but I'm still basically a morning person: no trouble staying up late, but that's because I usually get in a nap late afternoon.

Steve Clardy
09-06-2005, 2:21 PM
I voted 8-5. But it's actually about 9 morning through 8-9 at night.

Karl Laustrup
09-06-2005, 3:49 PM
Close was 8-5, but realistically it would be more like 6 AM till noon or noon thirty. That's when I can get in there at all, which there hasn't been a whole lot of lately. :(

I'm a morning person. Usually up by 4 AM. Of course I'm usually in bed and asleep by 10 or sooner. That's PM not AM. ;)
Karl

Jason Roehl
09-06-2005, 6:33 PM
I do pretty well first thing in the morning, but I wouldn't call myself a morning person, as I'd just as soon sleep in. So, I'll say 8-11AM are pretty productive generally, and then I'll usually kick back in about 3-6PM. It also largely depends on amount and quality of recent sleep and eating habits (too little food or too much junk food and I'll nosedive pretty quick).

Jason