PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2005, 8:52 AM
Well...another weekend has come and gone, and just think, this was a holiday weekend to boot.!!! I didn't know any difference since I was OnCall during this weekend so it was just "work" for me.

Let's see....Friday night watched an old John Wayne movie with the kids "The Quiet Man". Very good movie and the kids loved it as well. Saturday was spent working a little in the shop as I had time from taking care of pages on the pager and then punching in to work and fixing busted computers, tape libraries that cause our backups to fail.

Sunday was an all day affair for "work" with a little shop time Sunday night. Monday morning, I came off call...!!!!!!! YEA!!!!!! So it was a heavy day in the shop working on the cabinets and to take a break from all that "flat work" I decided to turn a curly maple burl. I just need to get my cole jaws so I can reverse mount it and finish it up (insert "it's still on the lathe here").

I do have a question of those that wear glasses in the shop. What do you do to fix the problem of seeing up close (1.5 feet or less)? The bottom of my glasses allows me to focus fairly close but sometimes you can't crank your head up to look throw the bottom of the glasses while holding a drill, tape and pencil for example.

So....what did YOU do this holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
09-06-2005, 9:16 AM
Dennis, I wear safety glasses with "cheater" magnification in the lower portion of the lenses. I buy them from Duluth Trading ($29) (http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/10314.asp). These have a larger magnification area than the $19 black plastic framed ones and also have the side wings. I use the 1.5 magnification, but they are available in several "flavors", depending you your requirements.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/pix/prod/P29597X.jpg

As to my weekend, it was productive. Finished up the wall-mounted shelving unit for the girls' room and got it installed (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=216398&postcount=26). I also fabricated "feet" for their beds to raise them about 3" so we can use some plastic storage containers for extra seasonal clothing storage. (The Ikea Malm beds are very low to the floor) The feet will be colored the same as the wall shelf unit. Once I get them clear coated, I can move on to installing them. Remaining work in the room is to update the lighting and electrical. ('Needs grounded outlets/suppressors)

Dr. SWMBO and I also got all the fish moved to the new pond finally as well as most of the vegetation. We're leaving some plants in the small pond/fountain out front as we have baby fish in there and it will be safer for them to stay in the smaller place until they grow a bit. Also mowed the lawn...it was greatly needed!

Saturday night, we had a great dinner at a local BYOB eating establishment with (Creeker and coworker) Robert Tarr and his lovely lady. It was an incredible meal as expected. Yesterday, Dr. SWMBO did a rack of baby-backs on the grill and they were...to steal a phrase from the Col...finger-licking good! Of course...it's back to the gym later today. ;)

Earl Reid
09-06-2005, 10:04 AM
We had a very active long weekend. We went to old peoples day at The great Geauga County Fair, renewed friendships with lots of folks we haven't seen for a long time. I had several chances to talk to people about my favorite subject "the pen project" some ofered to help. Spent Sunday with my sister and BIL from Atlanta. Made a few pens and some blanks. sun evening we went to a cookout with family. Monday had some shop time then we found some beer can behind the shop. (Kids??) I set up a listning device in the shop. I also worked on the clothes dryer, have to get the part today.
Earl :)

Scott Coffelt
09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I actually made it a 4 day weekend, and I still didn't get it all done. Other than the typical stuff I have to do ont he weekend, I cut down a plum tree in our front yard that was losing one side of it's branches. That's some hard wood. I managed to keep some decent sized pieces for turning. Really nice purple color throughout. It took 10 yard bags for all the branches and stuff.

I also got a head start on the fall lawn maintenance and got some seed and fertilizer down. My back yard is really shady and I have been trying to keep grass growning with little luck, so I switched to a new type of grass. i figured i would try and get some of it growing now and maybe come back in about 4 weeks and hit it again.

Worked on some inexpensive shelves for my sons playroom. I began painting them, but still have a couple of more coats. Watched some movies, racing and college football.

Terry Hatfield
09-06-2005, 10:41 AM
I actually found the shop!!!!!! :D I did a bunch of cleaning and re-arranging in prep for the Bbq. Jeff Hamilton came over on Saturday and left some of his really cool marking gauges for door prizes and we had a nice visit.

Everyone have a good week.

t

Jim O'Dell
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, I had to work til 1:00 Saturday (my weekend to work). Primed the ceiling and the top part of the walls in the main house bathroom. Sunday morning I textured the ceiling and the top of the walls to blend in to the old texture. Then went and picked up a friend from work to go watch LOML and our 4 year old Irish setter run at an agility trial for a couple hours. Great entertainment by the way. Oh, and Taz won the class we saw her run, and took 4th place in another class after we left. Monday, we went to a friends house and I changed her master brake cyl. out. Rolling through intersections is a little hair raising!! Then that afternoon I primed the whole bathroom to be ready for new paint. Yes, I removed the toilet tank to paint behind!!. Next will be sanding down the vanity and repainting it and the walls, and I need to install some chair rail moulding. We have some new border material my wife wants to put in, but not at the top of the wall, thus the chair rail.
Work is like a typical Monday today, a little crazy. I've been interrupted about 4 times writing this! Have a safe week. Looks like we will be helping with some of the displaced rescue dogs from New Orleans. Supposed to arrive toaday. Jim.

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I spent the weekend rebuilding a planter shelf on the front of the house. Sat I demod the old shelf, went to the borg and picked up 3 pieces 10 ' 2x8 and 6 pieces 10 ' 2x4 doug fir. spent rest of the weekend cuting, fitting and painting to match house trim. Other then that I watched the races.

Jim Hager
09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
I got quite a bit of work done in the shop this weekend for a change. I put out 51 rp oak cabinet doors and 26 drawer headers and got face frames put together for about 1/2 of another kitchen project. I put in several hours to get it all done and didn't get to have any time for myself this weekend. Looks like I'm gonna get another set of paint grade doors to do next weekend and may not get to consider the trip to Springdale to meet up with all you guys afterall. I hope ya'll have a good time without me anyway.:cool:

Matt Meiser
09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Saturday we slept in then went out for a late breakfast. On the way home we stopped at one of the local nurseries to pick up plants for a landscaping project which we worked on for the rest of the day.

Sunday and Monday was spent sleeping in at least a little and working on other projects around the house. I did spend about an hour cleaning up the shop last night and got most of the "stuff" put away. Still need to do a little more of that, then a thourough cleaning with the air hose, vacuum, and broom.

Floyd Cantrell
09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I do have a question of those that wear glasses in the shop. What do you do to fix the problem of seeing up close (1.5 feet or less)? The bottom of my glasses allows me to focus fairly close but sometimes you can't crank your head up to look throw the bottom of the glasses while holding a drill, tape and pencil for example.

Dennis

My last days working were on a aircraft test program and several of the mechanics that worked on the aircraft had bifocals on the top of their glasses so they could work under the aircraft. I know this because I had to ask them to read some of the information that I needed and couldn't because of my bifocals being on the bottom. The next time you have glasses made you might ask about this for a spare set.

Paul Canaris
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Saturday, tiled 1/2 of master bathroom. Went food shopping and errands with wife.

Sunday cut and fitted tiles for other half of bathroom. That evening nice meal out at Roadhouse.

Monday watched several movies "Sin City" among others (great movie) and as little else as possible.

Donnie Raines
09-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Started framing in the new shop in the basement. Got the dry wall hung on one side and also hung the door. Need to swing by the borg for some more sheet rock....pictures to come soon.... :cool:

Steve Clardy
09-06-2005, 2:30 PM
Hev three cabinets jobs going in the shop. Many of the boxes are the same, sink, corner cabs, wood and stain colors are the same. So I am building all the like boxes at the same time. Saves machine setup and teardown time.
So I worked in the shop all weekend again.

Ed Breen
09-06-2005, 4:29 PM
The weekend started out in grand form! Betsy, LOML, went up to camp Gruber where they were expecting about 5,000 folks from N.O. I stayed home and babysat the 10 and 4 year olds. She got in about 7:30 Saturday morning and hit the sack, so my day was divided between cleaning the shop and keeping the kids quiet. I have a bad habit of dropping tools etc. on the bench and often it gets sp piled up you can't see anything! In fact, Betsy made me buy cooker covers and keep them on all machines so I can't just leave things wherever.
Sunday we worked on wainscoting the 4 year old's room. He has just learned, from his sister, to shake up the popcan and spray. Everything I touched was sticky!!:eek: I'm sure glad they got me that 4 wheeler since I had to go back and forth to the shop for each cut on the chair rail and base board. (shop is about 75 yards back ofd the house.) Monday we spent finishing up the room and getting ready to finish the wainscoat.
Oh yeah, SWMBO tells me that the action at camp Gruber seemed to be a microcosm of what happened in N.O. Every agency wanting to be important, posturing, no plans, and shoot from the hip. No wonder it was such a tragedy!!!:confused:

Ed

Keith Foster
09-06-2005, 5:15 PM
Let's see...

Saturday I spent the entire day waiting for an Overnite delivery that never showed - no call either - not good. :(
Sunday I went shopping and over to see the new grandbaby.
Monday I decided to hit the shop running and try to create enough room to get the Cyclone up and running. Made a BIG dent in the project and just may be able to get started on assembly next week. After that the kids came over for BBQ! It was REAL good!

Jim Young
09-06-2005, 5:25 PM
Doll house - been putting alot of time into that doll house. Spent about 2 hours on the shingles.

Vaughn McMillan
09-06-2005, 5:39 PM
Didn't get a lot of shop time in this weekend. It's our busy season at work, so some of us worked part or all of the long weekend. I only had to go into the office briefly yesterday, but I logged a lot of "office" hours from home this weekend.

Saturday, LOML and I toured the King Tut exhibit at the LA County Museum of Art. Those folks did some absolutely amazing things with stone tools back about 5300 years ago.

Sunday I cooked up some baby back ribs in my wood-fired cooker/smoker, and was happy with my "clean the fridge" mopping sauce. (Sort of a chocolate/raspberry/chipotle/papaya/pineapple/Coke/butter concoction that tasted much better than it sounds, especially mixed with the hickory/apple smoke I was using.)

- Vaughn

Bobby McCarley
09-06-2005, 6:34 PM
Well, the weekend was spent working with wood, but not in the usual sense. Spent all weekend cleaning up after Katrina. No major damage just limbs and debris all over the yard. Lost the top out of one tree and a section of wooden fence. Electricity was off only two days. Took gas and ice to wifes relatives who were with electricity for six days. No major damage there either. All day Sunday was spent at SIL grandmothers house. She is 80+ years old, in a wheelchair and requires a sitter to stay with her. As of today she is still without electricity or water. And although she is up in age, she can still give you a what for and she does not like a messy yard. So we started cleaning up around her place. Other than that, I can't complain, I don't have a right too. There are a lot of people in South Louisiana, as well as other southern states, who lost everything they own and their way of life. And it may never be the same. The aftermath of Katrina is going to have a long lasting affect on the state of Louisiana and the rest of the country.

I would also like to say one other thing. There has been a lot of angry words said and a lot of finger pointing and blame said. This is not the time for that. There is a lot of suffering and misery happening in the southern states and the state and federal government needs to address that first and foremost.

Also, I want to thank the outporing of help and assistance from the rest of the country in this time of need. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bobby
Louisiana

Fred Voorhees
09-06-2005, 6:49 PM
Did our annual Labor Day weekend visit to my younger Brother's. This was a sort of working weekend though as we "wrapped" the family room of our Mother's house in Birch beadboard and all the associated trim on Saturday. Got out in the back bays of the Atlantic on Sunday to do a little fishing. Got home in time on Monday to finish up the fronts of the drawers that will go into the base unit of the cabinetry for the mud room project. The base unit should be going in one night this week.

Took a quick hop over to a buddies house for a small picnic and some bass fishing in his private bass pond and then came home and dragged out the camper to begin to get that ready for the annual vacation in Syracuse, NY and the biggest dirt track modified stock car event of the season at the state fairgrounds.

Andy Hoyt
09-06-2005, 7:02 PM
Doll house - been putting alot of time into that doll house. Spent about 2 hours on the shingles.

Hey Jim - Me too! Got all prepainted windows and trim installed and then repainted it all all over again. Tomorrow I start installing the clapboard siding, piece by piece by piece. I'm guessing, but maybe 400 to 500 pieces. By the time I'm finished, gas will be up to $6 per.

What kind of shingles are you using?

I'll show a current picture of mine if you show a current picture of yours.

John Shuk
09-06-2005, 7:05 PM
Spent some time mowing grass and raking the cuttings. It was waaay too long. Put the camping gear away from last weekend and took my 4 year old shopping for supplies for the Katrina victims. A local woman is going to be driving a truckload of supplies down and we bought a bunch of diapers, wipes, underwear and baby bottles to send down. This took away some of the guilt I feel about being able to chill out while our fellow Americans are trying to make sense out of what is happening to their lives. I just hope my little boys never have to go through something of this magnitude. I'm still pretty bummed about it I guess.

John Scarpa
09-06-2005, 7:40 PM
Saturday I spent finishing up cauking under the eves in the back of the house and the patio lattice work. Monday I was painting a primer coat on the lattice. This is going to take awhile! But Sunday I was at Dana Point for a BBQ with friends and family. I had a great day.

Jack Hogoboom
09-06-2005, 9:22 PM
Got a lot of shop time in for a change. Finished my vacuum chuck with a big assist from Charles Hans. Next up will be a veneering system. Ordered the parts yesterday from Joe Woodworker. Cleaned up and reorganized my shop.

Mark Tsujihara
09-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I got back from a business trip to discover that my water heater had busted and leaked all over my garage.

So I spent the day replacing my water heater on Friday. Those suckers are heavy :) .

Then I finished up the electrical work in the room I am remodeling. Got the lights hooked up, and the smoke alarm cross-connected. It's good to have power to that part of the house again.

Kurt Aebi
09-07-2005, 7:38 AM
Saturday - Spent the entire day doing yard work and laying out the posts for an addition to the shed.

Sunday - after church, I helped (prepped the blanks - drilled, glued and squared teh ends) Karen turn 6 pens to be used as gifts for visiting executives of her company. The company she works for was just recently purchased by one of their largest competitors as a strategic plan to increase their production throughput, her job was never in jeapardy. Anyway, the plant manager wanted her to put together gift baskets of Vermont stuff for each of them and she decided that hand-made pens would be a nice addition - so she wanted some nice special wood to make them from.

Monday - washed, waxed and detailed the cars in preparation for the winter.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
This weekend was spent fixing a screw up on the last of the set of SUPER SECRET projects. The good news is that John Miliunas was able to help me "see the light" and find a good way of fixing it. I hope that the final coat of finish goes on tonight and assembly is scheduled for tomorrow night!

Andy Hoyt
09-08-2005, 1:10 AM
Hey Jim - Me too! Got all prepainted windows and trim installed and then repainted it all all over again. Tomorrow I start installing the clapboard siding, piece by piece by piece. I'm guessing, but maybe 400 to 500 pieces. By the time I'm finished, gas will be up to $6 per.

What kind of shingles are you using?

I'll show a current picture of mine if you show a current picture of yours.

So, Jim bellied up and posted his dollhouse effort and now it's my turn. A new thread has been started if you're interested.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=217252#post217252