PDA

View Full Version : How do I make solid 'crown' molding for top of a dresser?

Joshua Haislip
12-28-2015, 6:18 PM
Hi All,

How would you make moulding similar to what is found here:

http://www.newmouldings.com/Poplar-Solid-Crown-EWSC19-EWSC19-P.htm

I'm finishing up my first significant project (a dresser) and would love to put something like this around the top. I can't seem to find a router bit large enough to create the same look. Is this something you all typically make yourself or do you buy it?

Thanks!

Josh

Jamie Buxton
12-28-2015, 8:21 PM
Sometimes you can make a specific molding design using several passes with different router bits. Or sometimes you can break the molding into mulitiple pieces, cutting a profile on each piece, and recombining them on the furniture. And sometimes you just have to resort to buying the stuff.

If you'd fill in your profile with your location, perhaps some Creeker could tell you of a local source for moldings.

Jerry Miner
12-28-2015, 8:44 PM
Preferably with a molder or shaper, but if you want to do something similar with a router, there is Infinity #19-130 (http://www.infinitytools.com/1_2-Shank-Colonial-Large-Panel-Mold-2-1_2-CD-1-3_4-CH/productinfo/19-130/)

Joshua Haislip
12-28-2015, 9:35 PM
Thank you Jamie and Jerry! I've updated my profile with my location(s): Saxapahaw, NC | Boone, NC. The Infinity #19-130 is very close to what I was looking for. Now I'll need to decide whether it makes the most sense to buy it pre-made or to buy the router bit.

Lee Schierer
12-28-2015, 10:10 PM
I made similar crown molding for this dresser in several pieces using my router. 328109

lowell holmes
12-29-2015, 7:04 AM
Do you really like placing your fingers that close to the screaming bits?

I have a shaper and it terrifies me when I have to run my fingers that close to the cutters.

That said, Infinity probably has bits to make that or a similar shape. Buying the molding would probably be less expensive, but when did woodworkers pay attention to that. :)

Carroll Courtney
12-29-2015, 8:12 AM
To me buying the molding is kinda like cheating,its a piece of fine furniture.To claim its 100% made by you,make the molding IMOP.Besides its fun,its what we do and you will be happier doing it yourself.I say buy yourself several bits to help make the profile that you are after for this project which will be custom made and I think the finish will be better so less sanding.And you will have some bits that may help make other profiles,so its win/win for you.Start off with a good piece of poplar that shows some good straight grain and practice to come close what your after.When you move on to making it out of your wood of choice try your best to use full size pieces of wood to run pass the bit,once you get the profile then cut your profile off the full size piece of wood.I'm echoing what Jamie is saying,so good luck

Tom M King
12-29-2015, 8:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LTSnu7_nz8

glenn bradley
12-29-2015, 8:52 AM
Sometimes you can make a specific molding design using several passes with different router bits. Or sometimes you can break the molding into mulitiple pieces, cutting a profile on each piece, and recombining them on the furniture. And sometimes you just have to resort to buying the stuff.

+1 on this. If you want the pleasure of having made the moulding, I would use multiple passes with the required profiles. If this is a "few and far between" sort of thing, I would buy. The upside to making your own is that you have control of the material source and therefor matching your piece is easier. The upside to 'already made' material is the cost and availability.

lowell holmes
12-29-2015, 8:52 AM
[QUOTE=Carroll Courtney;2509114]To me buying the molding is kinda like cheating,its a piece of fine furniture.To claim its 100% made by you,make the molding IMOP.Besides its fun,its what we do a"

I beg to differ:)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring the needed tools to make something like the molding. I've done it and made several solid entrance doors. I'm here to tell you that running wood past the cutters on a router table or shaper is terrorizing. Plus, the shaper knives which cost hundreds of dollars have not been used since the projects they were bought for.
If you have a shaper with a power feeder, the game changes, but the cost skyrockets.

Now it can be a vehicle to acquire new tools if that is what you want to do. Of course new hand planes that make the shape are another option.

Rick Moyer
12-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Do you really like placing your fingers that close to the screaming bits?

I have a shaper and it terrifies me when I have to run my fingers that close to the cutters.

That said, Infinity probably has bits to make that or a similar shape. Buying the molding would probably be less expensive, but when did woodworkers pay attention to that. :)

You don't have to have your fingers close. Use a wide board, do an edge profile, and rip the molding to desired width.

lowell holmes
12-29-2015, 10:23 AM
I know all that, however, even with push sticks, sleds, and fences, there is still a lot commotion at the bits. It only takes a 1/100th of a second for disaster. If the shop has a shaper with a power feeder, that's a different situation.

Having made three solid stile and rail entrance doors, even a 5 1/2" x 1 3/4" x 84" long stile is scary in spite of being a large board.

Maybe my fear of the cutters is why I've never been injured.

The molding Joshua wants can be made with the proper bits, however unless the wants the shapes as part of his tool collection, it would probably be less expensive to purchase the molding.

But then, when did expense ever count on making these decisions:)

mike holden
12-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Just to be a contrarian, the molding is easily made with a set of hollows and rounds and a rabbet plane. No loud noises, no spinniing sharp things, no worries about cutting your fingers off, etc. To be fair, it does require a different set of skills from setting up a machine, but different not more difficult.
Mike

Mike Null
12-29-2015, 11:46 AM
I have enough stuff I don't use. I'd buy the molding.

Ken Combs
12-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Lots of good advice so far. But, one advantage of making the molding is getting a good wood match working from the same supply the rest of the piece is made from.

That's especially true in my case, as I like to work with cherry and walnut with no stains, just a clear finish.

Hard to find moldings in those.

rudy de haas
12-29-2015, 8:05 PM
Obviously how, or whether, you make it depends on the tools you have.

Buying is an easy option: here in sunny Alberta, for example, there's a company called Custom Wood mouldings in Calgary that will make this for you in any wood you want.

Personally, I'd use a shaper (because I have one with a power feeder and aren't smart enough to be afraid of the thing); but an easier/cheaper route if you happen to have the right planer/moulder (e.g. G1037) is to get custom knives made for it. These run from about $22 per inch to $60+ but the cheap ones work for short production runs. Set-up is a two hour pain, but once done making the mouldings is trivial - and safer than using the shaper.

Keith Mathewson
12-29-2015, 8:25 PM
For me the decision on what to do would have been at what point I was in woodworking when the moulding was needed. Early on it would have been purchased from a local supplier. A bit latter it would have been a router bit or a couple of bits to come up with a moulding. Then things moved on to shaper cutters and moulding machines. Now it is moulding planes. I can design the moulding based what I want it to look like and no longer look to see what cutter I have. For a piece that size you can make the moulding in about the same amount of time it takes to setup a moulding machine.

Jared Sankovich
12-29-2015, 10:48 PM
If you can buy it in the right species it's going to be easier, cheaper, and faster.

You should be able to do it with a single cove and round over router bit, might take a couple passes but it would be relatively easy.

Since I have a shaper I'd just order the right (or close) knife profile and run it.

Phil Mueller
12-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Here's a thread from some time ago showing a jig I made for making picture frames using multiple bits for various profiles. Worked pretty well for me and kept my fingers out of danger. Not sure if the link will work, but you could always search for the post# in the archives, if interested.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231702-Router-Table-Jig&p=2424536#post2424536

Carroll Courtney
12-30-2015, 7:23 AM
That is a nice Youtube,thanks for posting