PDA

View Full Version : Nothing special, just a simple little box with deep meaning.

Patrick Walsh
12-28-2015, 5:23 PM
Sadly my mothers brother of only 59 years past suddenly this last week due to a aneurism.

The only thing to make it home from the funeral was a single rose intended for the casket but also given to family members to take home if they like.

So often after a funeral a flower gets hung to dry with the intention of keeping it forever. Sooner than later that dried flower normally gets bumped around and disintegrates into nothingness.

I figured i would try and do something to make sure this flower was preserved. I made a simple box. It was not till mid way through building the box for this single dried flower that i noticed the box resembled a casket and the rose a body. I almost decided to stop making the box.

This was my first time using a lock miter cutter. Man that was not fun! I used it because i wanted to have the grain pattern wrap around all sides of the box and i thought the detail from above would add interest to the joint. I am fairly happy with the box but next time i will just hand cut double blind dovetails.

Jay Aubuchon
12-28-2015, 9:19 PM
Beautiful. What kind of wood is that?

Patrick Walsh
12-28-2015, 9:51 PM
Lacewood and curly maple.

BLO and wax finish.

I kimda wish i had used Waterlox. I was in a rush to gift it.

I shoulda been more patient. If i had just skipped the wax!

Mel Fulks
12-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Well, one reason for having the flowers there is to remind all of the beauty of life as well as the brevity. Kind and sentimental to extend its existence, hope you wrote a note on the box. The smell of Waterlox is a bit too eternal for me.

Matt Day
12-29-2015, 2:54 PM
well done. I've never seen that joint used like that, with a sliding top.

Patrick Walsh
12-29-2015, 4:37 PM
I almost glued a piece of the lacewood atop the box as to cover the joint. As much as i dont like machine cut joints for decorative woodwork or furniture i decided to go with it. Plus i was in a rush ;)

Mom really likes the bix so that is all that matters. Pretty easy task as what mother ever did not like something their child made for them?

Oh your so handsome lol ;)

well done. I've never seen that joint used like that, with a sliding top.