PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

Steven Congleton
12-28-2015, 5:11 PM
Sorry for the long intro..;).
Just wanted to inturduce myself ...

Hello to all and thank you for all the great information ...Confusing at times as I don't know all the terminology and that's why we have a dictionary i.e. Google..

My name is Steven Congleton (55 yrs old) English/Scottish
Origanly from Orange, New Jersey now living in Belleville, New Jersey past 20 year. Traveled through central and South America, lived in Ecuador for a few years.. US Army early 80s , Machinest for 15 years did some programming on a few different CNC millers and lathes..now retired college computer instructor.

Have been around wood for the most part of my childhood, dad was a carpenter, framing to finish work. Most of the home he built are still standing lol...

I would like to start making my own cabinets, moldings, display cases, and making 1/6 ( 12" action figure size) scale dioramas for my military figure collections, etc...

I have a lot lot of my dad's old tools, brace drills, bits, handsaws (15) and about 10 different size plans.. don't know the exact purpose of the all, reading is a wonderful thing...

I also have have a lot of hand power tools corded and cordless.. A craftman 10" miter saw, 10 craftman table saw ( I don't like) it's to noise, shaky, and not sturdy...

Also just picked up a Walker Turner Drive Line tables saw 10" nice steel table original fence all original no broken bolts on tilt 3 pcs table... Owner only used it to make a few pieces of furniture as a hobbie it was sitting the basement the last 10 years or so no being used..the owner is 84

Purchased his Walker Turner 14" bandsaw with 25 blades most look new...The bandsaw is a heavy cast iron. Runs well..

i will be asking for some guidance about building a router table...I am trying to build up my little home shop..

Needs: planer, bench top drill press, router table with router, router bits, bench top or stationary sander,
Dust collection system....

sorry for the long post.. But I didn't see any other place to introduce myself.. Hope I didn't bore you, just think it's appropriate to tell people who you are before asking for help.. Now you know a little about me.

God Bless.

Lee Schierer
12-28-2015, 5:27 PM
Welcome to the creek, we look forward to seeing you here.

Depending on which Craftsman 10" table saw you have you could make some modest improvements that will make a world of difference. A link belt for the drive, machined pulleys, possibly a new blade or two and a good accurate alignment of the blade to the miter slot will greatly improve the performance of your saw.

Steven Congleton
12-28-2015, 5:33 PM
Thank you Lee.

i don't know the model # of the craftman, but it is one that has the tube extensions on the sides and back... I will use it for rough stuff.. As I hope I will be using the Walker Turner once she's tuned in.... Just always like a nices solid steel table..

Mike Ontko
12-28-2015, 9:32 PM
Greetings Steven, and welcome to the Creek. The dioramas idea sounds interesting. I used to have a fair sized collection of what I think were/are the same or action figures from the 1960's and '70s.

Regarding the benchtop drill press--make sure you get one with a simple depth adjustment. I purchased a Grizzly G7943 awhile ago, and though I'm very happy with it's capabilities and performance, the depth stop leaves a bit to be desired (I'm not complaining though, it's a great value).

Frederick Skelly
12-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Welcome Steven! Glad to have you with us and appreciate the autobiography. Look forward to seeing some of your work and hearing your approaches to problems folks raise!
Fred

Don Morris
12-29-2015, 6:35 AM
Welcome Steven. This has been a wonderful site to get my questions answered and advice on problems. The people here are understanding and not judgemental. Sounds like you have a good understanding of wwing and have a lot of great tools from your Dad. I have some that were passed on to me and I treasure them. Happy New Year and Happy WWing!

Bill White
12-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Glad to have you with us.
Bill

Michael Weber
12-29-2015, 5:09 PM
Welcome Steven, glad your here.
Mike

Rick Fisher
12-30-2015, 2:22 AM
Welcome Steven, looking forward to hearing more from you ..

Rick Potter
12-30-2015, 3:36 AM
Welcome Steven,

Love to see pics of that new table saw and band saw.