PDA

View Full Version : Best Miter Saw ever made??? 10"or 12" Plus Accessories

Carroll Courtney
12-28-2015, 1:45 PM
Guys if you were in the market for the best miter saw ever made and there was no bottom to your pockets what would you buy,and what blade would you put on it?And we all want it to be simple to tune it up,spot on for the positive stop angles also.Either a slider or a compound or double compound miter saw,what would you buy and why?
What accessories would you buy for your miter saw to help make the package complete?Every time I go to HD,I look at their miter saws,they all look the same except price,colors are eye catching but that's bout it.HD is only going to sell what sells the best which does not mean they sell the best.So what is out there that is above the rest of the miter saw crowd?Thanks for your comments,links to site,are articles----Carroll

Ben Rivel
12-28-2015, 1:59 PM
I just bought mine not too long ago. I got the DeWalt DWS780 (Type 2) SCMS with a 12" Forrest Chopmaster 80T blade, the DeWalt Crown molding stops and the DeWalt quick release clamp. Been nothing but perfect for me and the 16" crosscut capacity is awesome.

Ken Grant
12-28-2015, 2:07 PM
Interesting question-now I have a question for you. What do you want to use it for? I don't know that I can answer your question because I have not used every brand out there. I have used a miter saw almost every day for the past 8 years, and different saws excel at different things. Building closet shelves or bookcases onsite? You will want a slider. Running a bunch of base shoe or doing a room of paneled wainscoat? You will like a basic solid 10 or 12 inch, they cut tighter miters then a slider ever will. 7-1/4" base? You will want a double compound saw. Doing production runs of mitered frames in the shop? You will like an omga. For me, a slider and a 12" double compound non-sliding miter saw cover my needs. You can get by with just the slider, but the non-slider will give you better miter joints and is lighter and smaller (easier to move), at least that has been my experience. YMMV

Carroll Courtney
12-28-2015, 2:54 PM
Always wonder bout those crown molding stops.Crown gives me fits,Ken how bout what a trim carpenter would use or a cabinet maker.Did not know about non slider giving better joints,thats good to know.Those guys either at the shop or job site does amazing work,I look at the miter joint of some lip molding and I just could not see it.How????? I know its not only the tools but the skill

Prashun Patel
12-28-2015, 3:09 PM
The Rolls Royces seem to be the Festool Kapex and the Bosch Glide.

A good bench with outboard support on both sides with a flip stop that goes a full 8 feet in both directions is on my wish list.

A good shop vac and hanging hose are also nice to have.

Jim Dwight
12-28-2015, 4:23 PM
If you want to see how to do crown, google up Ron Paulk's you tube series, I think it's 6 short videos. He uses a Kapek (but I do not and probably never will). I have a 10 inch and 12 inch non slider, the 12 is a double bevel, and a Radial arm saw. That will handle any trim. Wider cuts get done on the table saw or track saw.

The main thing I don't like about sliders is space behind the fence. It makes them challenging to use in a shop from a space standpoint.

Richard Shaefer
12-28-2015, 4:47 PM
If you want to see how to do crown, google up Ron Paulk's you tube series, I think it's 6 short videos. He uses a Kapek (but I do not and probably never will). I have a 10 inch and 12 inch non slider, the 12 is a double bevel, and a Radial arm saw. That will handle any trim. Wider cuts get done on the table saw or track saw.

The main thing I don't like about sliders is space behind the fence. It makes them challenging to use in a shop from a space standpoint.

neither the Kapex or the Bosch use up any space behind the fence. DeWalt used to offer a similar 'rail forward' saw back in the day and prior to that under the Elu brand.

10" slider is probably as much as most will ever need that do outdoor framing. and the blades are interchangeable with your table saw.
I picked up a 7.25" dewalt 20v slider 3 months back and to be honest, for furniture making and interior trim is does 99.999% of everything I'd ever need at a ridiculously portable scale. I could only ever see myself digging the big 12" chop saw out for crazy crown molding.

Michael Zerance
12-28-2015, 4:47 PM
I have two DeWalt 12" double-bevel miter saws; the one in the shop is a slider and the one that stays in the van to take to job sites is a regular one. I wouldn't trade the regular one for anything; I've had it about 12 years and it works great. It is dead on accurate, adjusts easily, is relatively light, and I can get nice tight miters in prefinished moldings using home center blades.

The slider is a different story; I am not happy with it. I can't really put my finger on it but is just doesn't feel right to me. I also find it difficult to get repeatable 90 degree cuts on wide boards. Don't get me wrong, they're close but they are not dead on.

Sometime soon I will be replacing the slider in the shop with the Bosch glide saw. I played with one at Woodcraft and was pretty impressed.

Michael Zerance
12-28-2015, 4:50 PM
I picked up a 7.25" dewalt 20v slider 3 months back and to be honest, for furniture making and interior trim is does 99.999% of everything I'd ever need at a ridiculously portable scale.

I was eyeing that one. Do you have any more feedback on it?

Ben Rivel
12-28-2015, 4:56 PM
The slider is a different story; I am not happy with it. I can't really put my finger on it but is just doesn't feel right to me. I also find it difficult to get repeatable 90 degree cuts on wide boards. Don't get me wrong, they're close but they are not dead on.

Sometime soon I will be replacing the slider in the shop with the Bosch glide saw. I played with one at Woodcraft and was pretty impressed.
Is your 12" SCMS the DWS780 Type 2? If not check out the reviews on the current model DWS780 vs the glider from Bosch.

Michael Zerance
12-28-2015, 5:03 PM
Is your 12" SCMS the DWS780 Type 2? If not check out the reviews on the current model DWS780 vs the glider from Bosch.
It is the DW718. I will check out the DWS780; thanks for the heads up.

Martin Wasner
12-28-2015, 5:11 PM
Omga. Hands down it's the highest quality saw available.
But you don't want to move it. Ever.

Ben Rivel
12-28-2015, 5:20 PM
HA! Or have to BUY one! (LINK (https://www.omgainc.com/productfamily.php?cid=2)) Expensive.

John K Jordan
12-28-2015, 5:34 PM
Who would be able to say without doing their own tests on a all the saws? Best you'll get is opinions of saws people have and like, or from people who read reviews. And as someone suggested, best for what use?

I personally bought the Bosch Glide and it is the best saw I have ever had. Built my shop with it and use it now in the shop. The "slide" mechanism is very clever, compact, ultra smooth, and sturdy.

JKJ

jack duren
12-28-2015, 6:16 PM
If you have the 708 from dewalt your in good shape. I have found the newer versions not so dependable. I like the Dewalt 706 as well.

peter gagliardi
12-28-2015, 6:48 PM
For as good and costly as the Omga is, its scales are terrible! Looks like a great unit otherwise.

Andrew Hughes
12-28-2015, 7:22 PM
The best miter saw I ever ran was a Metra Cut Centerline Saw. I was a sawyer in the late 80s at a lumber yard used one to parts for trusses.
I my shop I have Bosch glider its a good saw.The chop master makes it great!

Wade Lippman
12-28-2015, 7:40 PM

I was all set to buy one because I think I need a 4hp miter saw, but they only come in 3 phase. darn it all!

Carroll Courtney
12-28-2015, 7:52 PM
Lots of good opinions out there,love the Youtube that will help me.Yep your right about someone would have to try all of them maybe someone has if they 105yrs old Ha joking.Myself over the yrs I started out with a Rockwell I think is a 7" then next was a 10" Makita.Now I have a Dewalt the 12" double compound miter saw,which is nice compared to what I have in the past,but I still have them.What I always kinda dream about was one of those SawBucks,they just look like they could do it all,if you don't mind laying the crown down flat.Just wondering if there was one that is way above all others.Good subject,thanks guys

Bud Zeien
12-28-2015, 8:15 PM

If all you're making is window casements then yeah, it's a good saw, but if you want to be a versatile woodworker then you're gonna want something that has compound capabilities.

I replaced my Hitachi C10FSH with the Bosch 10" glider. I loved my Hitachi! I bought it used at an auction, had some wear and tear but it was still a great saw. Was using it to build my deck and it dropped off my stand (I'm a bit careless at times), it still worked fine but the stop broke off so it felt a bit dangerous. Would have kept using it but I used that as an excuse to get the Bosch, which I only wanted for the space saving feature, which is a lot of space! I've only had it for a month and haven't put it through its paces yet. So far it works great, pretty loud though, and the safety for the trigger is a bit annoying. If I didn't have space concerns, I would have gotten the same Hitachi, of course, if they didn't cheapen it...
I use CMT saw blade for both,( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P4JPC0/?tag=cu0e-20 )

Martin Wasner
12-28-2015, 9:48 PM
She asked for the best miter saw ever made Bud. I replied. Btw, we need to grab beers soon

Patrick McCarthy
12-28-2015, 9:59 PM
She asked for the best miter saw ever made Bud. I replied. Btw, we need to grab beers soon
I am pretty sure Carroll is a guy. Like Carroll Shelby, Carroll O'Connor etc

Kevin Jenness
12-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I've used a lot of saws including Bosch, Makita, DeWalt and Hitachi. I still use an 8" Hitachi slide saw in my own shop; it's as accurate as when I bought it 25 years ago, and there are plenty of others like it still going strong. But for accuracy and consistency I haven't used anything to rival a couple of used 14" Omgas I installed at my former employer's shop. They are available in single phase, and they do make models with a tilting head. I got the two for $1,000. Definitely not portable, and the dust collection is poor, but if you need dead on cuts it's a good choice. CTD and Pistorious are supposed to be in the same category.

Martin Wasner
12-28-2015, 10:47 PM
I am pretty sure Carroll is a guy. Like Carroll Shelby, Carroll O'Connor etc

Oop, sorry Carroll

Ed Labadie
12-29-2015, 2:11 AM
Northfield Uni-point.....

Ed

Richard Shaefer
12-29-2015, 7:59 AM
I was eyeing that one. Do you have any more feedback on it?

It's a great little saw.
I generally don't like sliders because they deflect and throw-off the cut more than rigid chop saws, but the slides on this saw are so big relative to the 7" blade that it really doesn't matter and the cuts are as dead perfect as the miter on my table saw. When I bought it, the dealer tossed in an extra 5 Ah batter for me, and it's physically impossible to kill one battery while the other is charging. I've honestly not needed to change the battery during a day's work. The one thing I don't like is that is has that shadow light cut line system. I preferred the laser on my 708.

I will say the best part is the weight. I hated dragging that big 708 everywhere, and I can't imaging hauling a 12" slider up the stairs to do anything but a large scale trim-out and casing job. It's light enough that I started out by hanging it on a hook on the wall rather than leave it out on a dedicated bench. Now I built a pivoting wall mount table so that it's out of the way when I'm not using it and it can co-habitate stock feed space with the jointer.