PDA

View Full Version : Nice tool: Lee Vallet Rip Carcass Saw

Frederick Skelly
12-27-2015, 9:59 PM
So, I bought one of these a couple months back and set it aside after cutting the stink out of my thumb when it slipped. But I got it out and put it fully through it's paces this weekend cutting tenons for a new chair.

This is one of the composite-handled saws LV sells. It's their mid-size saw, 12 tpi, 10* rake for $79. I cut 10 tenons, modestly sized at 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" thick, split down the middle for a wedge to be inserted. I used this saw for all the "with the grain" cuts. I was only working in pine, but found it cut straight, is very controllable and cuts aggressively enough for me. I'm thinking I may go ahead and order the crosscut version, I like this one so much. (I already have the dovetail and small crosscut saws.)

If you're just starting out in handmade joinery, and/or you're looking for a good quality (new) saw at a modest price, I recommend this one and the others in the family.

Fred

Full disclosure: No connection to LV, except as a very satisfied customer.

Patrick Chase
12-27-2015, 10:15 PM
So, I bought one of these a couple months back and set it aside after cutting the stink out of my thumb when it slipped. But I got it out and put it fully through it's paces this weekend cutting tenons for a new chair.

This is one of the composite-handled saws LV sells. It's their mid-size saw, 12 tpi, 10* rake for $79. I cut 10 tenons, modestly sized at 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" thick, split down the middle for a wedge to be inserted. I used this saw for all the "with the grain" cuts. I was only working in pine, but found it cut straight, is very controllable and cuts aggressively enough for me. I'm thinking I may go ahead and order the crosscut version, I like this one so much. (I already have the dovetail and small crosscut saws.)

If you're just starting out in handmade joinery, and/or you're looking for a good quality (new) saw at a modest price, I recommend this one and the others in the family.

Fred

Full disclosure: No connection to LV, except as a very satisfied customer.

Yep, I have some of the LV saws including that one. They're not much to look at, but the sawplates are of good quality and the backs and handles are serviceable if unconventional. The tooth configurations have reasonable fleam and set, though somewhat more relaxed rake than I (now) prefer. In my experience they all work better after at least a light hand-sharpening pass - they're not in the same league as Wentzloff or Bad Axe in terms of out-of-box tune, but they also cost much less.

Overall I think they're extremely good value for the money, far better than the Pax/Crown/etc offerings (all to the same designs from the same factory) at slightly higher price points.