PDA

View Full Version : hand tools to benefit an ailing woodworker

John K Jordan
12-27-2015, 8:12 PM
I'm donating three hand tools to benefit Neanderthal woodworker Stephen Shepherd who is in a bad way with a recent serious stroke and open heart surgery. It could happen to any of us at any time.

If you know Stephen or if you just want to take a look, send me a note and I'll give you the details by email. (I'm not making a cent from these) The Pfeil adz and drawknife are brand new, the other drawknife is very old, looks hand forged to me.

Note, this has nothing to do with this forum and I'm not making a cent from these. I've had these for years and can't use them for physical reasons. If a moderator considers this post inappropriate, sorry, please remove it. Thanks!

Stephen in his shop, in better days:

JKJ

Edward Clarke
12-27-2015, 9:28 PM
Stephen A Shepherd is the author of "Hide Glue - Historical & Practical Applications". This is an excellent book that I happen to have in my hand right now. He also had a column in Popular Woodworking on historical techniques. I'm not quite sure why you'd want to give him modern hand tools unless something terrible has happened to his shop?

Do you know if his store is still active online? He has written two more books that I'd really like to buy:

Shepherds' Compleat Early Nineteenth Century Woodworker
Shellac, Linseed Oil, & Paint - Traditional 19th Century Woodwork Finishes

John K Jordan
12-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Do you know if his store is still active online?

Yes! I ordered his book on repairing spinning wheels a few weeks ago and it came in a couple of days. I still want to buy the book on hide glue.

http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?page_id=1964#!/Full-Chisel-Press/c/1576107/offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc
(http://www.fullchisel.com)
No one is sending him tools. They are donating tools and things for auction and every cent is going to Stephen. From what I've heard just this weekend it seems unlikely that Stephen will ever work again and will need long-term care. You never know, of course. In the last few weeks friends have raised and sent over $500 to help with his care.

Here is some info:

His nephew, Kelly Bingham, has taken over management of Stephen's website and affairs and is now fulfilling orders for Stephen's books and other products. Here's a note that Kelly posted on Stephen's FullChisel blog in July:

Here is a quick update on Stephen Shepherd and this site. Stephen had a stroke last December and just recently had open heart surgery. He is doing well and recovering considering everything he has been through. Stephen currently resides at St Joseph’s Villas in Salt Lake City Utah and I have recently gained access to his website and accounts so I can continue to assist him in selling books and answering all of your questions about his work. Apparently Stephen has been greatly missed and I apologize it has taken this long to gain access and answer all the responses to his web page and orders of his books and other goods. Please bear with me and be patient while I wade through all of the orders and responses. If you are interested in Stephen’s books I can accommodate all orders. If I have not responded to your emails or messages yet I will in the next week or two as there were over 2,000 responses.

I have had each of the books printed and ready to ship. As for other items I am working with Stephen’s close friends to see if I can accommodate those. Some I might be able to help and if not will make sure you are refunded any funds sitting in Paypal. If you have questions for me please contact me at 801-726-2598 or via email kmbingham92@msn.com. I am also looking after Stephen’s email so you can send me a message at Stephen@fullchisel.com.

It would be a great time to get some of his books!

JKJ