PDA

View Full Version : Next up. Organizing extension cords and air hoses

Anthony Whitesell
12-27-2015, 4:06 PM
With the tape rolls and spools organized on a peg board, I am setting my sights on the extension cord (10-100ft) and air hoses (25 footers). I had bicycle hooks but it never worked so well. What do you have?

P.S. I need space for at least 6 air hoses and 8 extension cords (of various lengths, hence the quantity).

Lee Schierer
12-27-2015, 4:29 PM
I coil them up and use a loop of rope to make a slip knot hanger on each coil. The I hang the coil on one of several hooks on the wall. The cords don't get tangled and I can remove them from the hook to get the one I need at that particular time and rehang the ones I don't need.

Tom M King
12-27-2015, 4:35 PM
All air hoses on reels. I bought some cheap ones from Tractor Supply for the short ones. I have one that I bought from Senco in 1974 with 200' of 3/8" on it that I wish I could get another of. It just uses quick connect fittings as the swivel. I don't believe I've ever had to replace the fittings, and it still doesn't leak.

glenn bradley
12-27-2015, 7:10 PM
Another vote for reels. I'm not even sure where any extension cords are anymore. With two ceiling mounted reels in a 20 x 30 shop I never need them. Air used to be on a Rapid Air system with coil hoses and reels but, I use air so seldom I just took it out. I have a small compressor near the bench with a coil hose for the three times a year I use a pin nailer. It does not sound like that sort of thing is going to work for you.

Brian Henderson
12-27-2015, 8:21 PM
Yet another vote for reels, all of my air hoses are on ceiling-mounted reels and I've never had a problem with them. As for electrical cords, I used to have reels, I still have a couple of long ones for outside stored that way, but for loose cords in the shop, I just grabbed some of these (http://www.lowes.com/pd_184811-1373-K-175_1z0uxzt__?productId=3199195&pl=1) and they seem to work just fine. Hang them on a nail and they're available when I need them.

Jim Dwight
12-27-2015, 8:32 PM
My air hose is on a manual reel bolted to the top of my air compressor. My cords are mostly a mess all over the floor. The large wind up reels work well but then what do you do with the reel? Maybe I will try the ratcheting straps. Trying to get organized now. I made some clamp racks today.

Anthony Whitesell
12-27-2015, 9:07 PM
I don't use the air hoses and extension cords in the house/shop. They are all for outdoor use. I ran rapid air through the entire basement, then added an air separator and ran copper to an airchuck in an electrical box outside at the opposite end of the house from the compressor. I need the air hoses to get from the outside airchucks to the "job site". Same for the electric, they are run in parallel. I was pondering re-purposing a garden hose cart, but then where do I park that bag thing. I can't hang that from the ceiling or a hook.

P.S. Don't say garage, I don't have one. :(

Brian Henderson
12-27-2015, 10:21 PM
My air hose is on a manual reel bolted to the top of my air compressor. My cords are mostly a mess all over the floor. The large wind up reels work well but then what do you do with the reel? Maybe I will try the ratcheting straps. Trying to get organized now. I made some clamp racks today.

The reels attach to the ceiling, you can pull them down when you need them and they retract when you don't. I only need air reels like that, I have tons of electrical outlets in the shop so there's always one nearby, but I do use extension cords outside of the shop all the time.