PDA

View Full Version : My first woodworking project

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-27-2015, 8:23 AM
I once found a couple of elm burl slabs for sale on the cheap, so I bought them without having any plan for them.

They have the size of a medium coffee table, so why not try to make a coffee table?

they were cut in slabs with a chainsaw and far from flat. To begin with I tried to use my scrub plane to roughen them nearly flat. After lots of lots of sweat and swearing I gave up and took them to the nearest wood shipbuilding yard. They have a thicknesser whitch can take up to 100 cm wide boards.

Now they are flat, but still have marks from the machining.

I used a holesaw to drill three 48mm holes in an angle in one of the slabs and then I went to a friends machine shop to borrow his lathe were I turned three 50mm aluminum axels into taper for the legs.

I have then used my orbitsander to sand down the machining marks.

Im filling all the cracks and knot holes with different colors of hot glue.

Lee Schierer
12-27-2015, 8:30 AM
Interesting project. I would recommend using epoxy to fill the holes instead of hot glue, which may be rubbery. Epoxy will cure hard and is available in some colors.

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-27-2015, 9:37 AM
Yes, I have probably made a mistake using hot glue. I have found out that I have to be really carefull when I sand it. If it gets too hot, the glue melts and get ugly. The problem is that its too late to change it, since I already filled the cracks :(

I guess its learning by doing some times :)

Yonak Hawkins
12-27-2015, 11:33 AM
That's an amazing piece of wood.

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-27-2015, 12:33 PM
It is indeed, but its so curly and interlocked that its very hard to plane

Allan Ferguson
12-27-2015, 1:31 PM
A very challenging piece of wood to work with hand tools. Good luck with your project. Allan.

Raymond Fries
12-27-2015, 1:48 PM
Very nice.

Enjoy it always.