PDA

View Full Version : Incra iBox vs. Wonder Fence overlap

Monte Milanuk
12-27-2015, 2:02 AM
I've got an Incra TS-LS fence on my table saw... will be adding a router table extension wing soon, and am considering getting a Wonder Fence down the road a bit. I've also been eye-balling the iBox box-joint jig... it looks great and all, but I'm kind of curious whether its abilities overlap with those of the Wonder fence? i.e. can you cut all the same box joints with a TS-LS + Wonder Fence as you could on an iBox (dovetail joints aside)? With a Wonder Fence is there any good reason to get an iBox?

Thanks,

Monte

Bill McNiel
12-28-2015, 5:23 PM
Monte-
I have the LS with Wonder Fence on my router table and as far as I can tell it can do everything the iBox does. I would suggest you call Incra for confirmation. Some day I may just try it for small box dovetails.

Monte Milanuk
12-28-2015, 7:57 PM
Thanks Bill. I may end up doing just that (giving them a call). I'd hoped there might be some folks who had some time behind both that could give some input.

Alan Schaffter
12-29-2015, 12:57 AM
There is at least one subtle difference- with the LS you are pretty much limited to making fingers that are sized in multiples of 1/32." That means you must stack/shim and test the kerf of your dado blade carefully. (You might be able to use the micro on the LS, but would need to dial it in before each cutting each pass) With the I-BOX, it doesn't matter what the dado stack is set to, a precise stack is not necessary, because you set the I-BOX to the actual kerf. As you probably know, many dado blade sets, like the Forest Dado King, are ground slightly undersized so often need to be shimmed. Again, with the I-BOX, it doesn't matter, in fact you can use a metric blade - the I-BOX doesn't care. Using the I-BOX is much quicker and you don't need to use templates, guide strips, etc.

Also, I think you will find the I-BOX can handle much longer boards, theoretically unlimited. Along those lines, it may be possible to cut them on the LS, but it likely takes much longer to make long dentil molding where the widths of the "teeth" are different than the spaces. I believe it may also be possible to cut center-keyed and decorative insert box joints with the LS, but not nearly as quickly and easily as with the I-BOX.

On the other hand you can use the LS to make dovetails, not so with the I-BOX.

Than being said, both are great INCRA products. (you just missed a great Woodpeckers sale on the I-BOX)

Disclaimer: I'm not an INCRA employee but did invent and license the I-BOX mechanism to INCRA and worked with them to develop the retail jig. So I am a big supporter of the I-BOX.