PDA

View Full Version : Wen 4210 Drill Press - 10" benchtop Opinions?

Ken Frohnert
12-26-2015, 9:55 AM
I was looking for a inexpensive drill press to keep with my Jet 1014 lathe. I have a larger drill press in my shop but wanted something small/compact for the basement. To drill small holes in jewelry or ornaments that I turn on the lathe. I have been looking for a while on CL but have not seen anything that is in good condition for less than $100 and some of the small deltas have poor feedback anyway.

The Wen 4210 has got good reviews on Amazon and I see it occasionally for sub $125. I know on a lot of the smaller drill presses have plastic pulleys but based on amazon questions these are metal - which is a plus it has 5 speeds using a belt to change the speed. This also has the pinion gear to adjust the table which is nice. Anyone have any opinions on this little drill press?

Ken Frohnert
12-27-2015, 7:33 AM
I almost did not post this question - since I thought that most everyone here would have better/larger drill presses and may not have any experience with this one. Looks like that was the correct thought. I appreciate everyone taking a look at my question anyway.

Kelly Cleveland
12-27-2015, 10:49 AM
I have been using a Skil brand that looks exactly like it for about 3-4 years. I really don't have any complaints about it, it drills holes like it should. There is no wobble and the motor delivers the goods if your bits aren't too dull. The Wen is probably the same manufacturer, and for a secondary drill press I think it is worth trying.

Myk Rian
12-27-2015, 11:18 AM
The Wen 4210 has got good reviews on Amazon and I see it occasionally for sub $125.
HF has the exact same DP. Probably $100 with a coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-12-speed-bench-drill-press-60237.html

David Malicky
12-27-2015, 2:25 PM
The HF appears to have different castings and specs, and lower reviews. I've used the HF; it does drill, but I wouldn't suggest it unless price is the main priority.