PDA

View Full Version : Quick put up tent over grill for sudden rain showers

Don Morris
12-25-2015, 2:51 PM
I love to grill out. Live in the suburbs of Wash. DC. So I occasionally get plenty of snow, but if I have to shovel snow to get to the grill, I will. I don't mind putting on my winter coat and doing steaks in 20 degree weather. But it's a PITA to have to stand over the grill with a golf umbrella in a heavy downpour, but I've done that enough to say: "ENOUGH". LOML bought a beautiful 5 bone beef roast and I'm going to do it using my rotissarie on my 42" Viking grill. Done one several years ago during a frigid day on Christmas, and it came out fabulous. This year, I'm doing it in 70 degree weather, but it looks like the weather people got it wrong: I'll be standing under the golf umbrella at the end. Has anyone investigated a "Quick-put-up" tent for something like what I'm looking for? This has happened too often...you get going on grilling, the weather looks OK, and within minutes, it clouds over and you get dumped on. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for something that really worked well. The tent would have to be about 8' W X 6' D, X 8' H. It could get somewhat bigger, but not too much. Thanks for any suggestions or guidance for places to look.

Walter Plummer
12-25-2015, 3:03 PM
I use a cheap beach umbrella I got at Sam's club. I put a pvc pipe in a bucket of gravel as a stand. Not pretty but functional. It is big enough to cover my Big Green Egg and me. Wind does blow it over easily even with all the gravel. I tie it off to the deck rail if it is windy.

Don Morris
12-25-2015, 4:01 PM
I don't belong to Sam's, but Harbor Freight has one for $69.00 I'm going to try. And your suggestion about the, bucket of gravel to hold it down in wind is well noted. I'm sure I can work something out that will function in the same manner. I'm basting the roast now every 20 mins in a heavy, and I mean heavy downpour. I've got to do something, my luck seems to be absolutely terrible about grilling in good weather or bad. Not the best way to spend your Christmas afternoon. But I will not be put in a bad mood. I'm looking forward to another trip to Harbor Freight! Who knows, I may find another wwing tool or something there in addition to the pop-up-tent. And I just finished the renovation to my Dad's #3 wood level. So It's a good Christmas.

Richard McComas
12-25-2015, 4:14 PM
Lots of options and price ranges.

Google "umbrella for bbq"

Jerome Stanek
12-25-2015, 6:12 PM
Get a large trash can and drill a hole in the lid then fill with water drain when done. Easy to move and store

John Grider
12-25-2015, 7:14 PM
How about some along these lines?

http://www.target.com/p/e-z-up-envoy-instant-shelter-10-x10-white/-/A-15269578?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15269578&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Sports%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Sports_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1013072&gclid=CP73goWe-MkCFQyPaQod8L4Ivw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don Morris
12-27-2015, 2:08 AM
Looked at the specs of several and they are similar to the Harbor Freight pop up version. Thus with a 20% off coupon, I'm going to give HF a try. If it works, great. If not, not much lost. My standing Rib Roast came out great this Christmas as it did several years ago. But the hastle with the golf umbrella while basting and taking the temp to make sure I took it off at just the right temp during a downpour was truly an unnecessary PITA. And transporting it back into the house keeping it from getting rained on was another challenge. Just would have been so much easier if I had been under cover. Sometimes during the heat of the summer sun, it will be appreciated too..I think. We'll see. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2015, 6:56 AM
We got one at Dicks about that price, seems decent. Not sure if grill under one but we got it for smoking since that usually involves pre-planning a few days.

Myk Rian
12-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Patio umbrella.

Justin Ludwig
12-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Here's how well my grill cover worked last night. 2 tornado warnings and tons of rain. And a flipped grill.

The grill sits on my back porch in a corner. Takes some strong wind to circulate and push it off the porch, where it has sat for 5 years.

Don Morris
12-29-2015, 6:24 AM
I got the Harbor Freight pop up. Had other obligations when we got it home so it will be a day or so before I'm able to test how well it covers the grill and make any modifications to improve it's wind/rain resistance. I've already ordered a can of Thompson's FabricSeal Water Seal from Lowes. Had to order it as it's "seasonal" and not carried this time of year. Roller bag was helpful in moving it from SUV into Garage. Should also be helpful in moving it from Grill area to under several large nearby (15') Nellie Stevens Hollies where I'm going to keep it.

Kev Williams
12-29-2015, 11:42 AM
the HF popup is nice, I've had one for years, but they take several minutes to pop up...

Have you looked at these types of covers?