PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3-31 Planer Table Adjustment

Matt Przybylski
12-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone,
My A3-31 is not planing properly (one side goes through fine, the other doesn't and either needs help going through or just doesn't grab). I tried adjusting the feed rollers but after I did that I realized I probably shouldn't have touched it just yet and I incorrectly checked the feed rollers vs table rather than cutterhead vs table (brain fart, I know). In any case, I wrote down the original values of the feed roller positions so I'm going to set those back. My question is, if I need to adjust the table up/down, the four bolts under the planer table that you do the adjustments with seem a bit hard to get to. What size is the nut so I know what type of wrench I need? I thought it was 20mm but I could have sworn I tried a 20mm wrench to it at one point and it wasn't correct but maybe my wrench was just not good enough.

In general, what is the best way to adjust these bolts and with what type of wrench? There isn't much space in between the table column and where the nut sits to get any type of tool in there other than some kind of flat wrench.

Appreciate any help offered.

Rod Sheridan
12-25-2015, 1:05 PM
Hi, I would suggest returning the settings to original positions, waxing the planer bed thoroughly and checking that the knives are sharp along the entire length.....Regards, Rod.

Matt Przybylski
12-25-2015, 1:12 PM
Thanks Rod, that's definitely the plan after which I will also check the cutterhead to the tables. Just in case that is not in tolerance, though, I just want to know what the equipment I will need to get it right is.

Matt Przybylski
12-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm hoping to get some time in the shop today finally to take a closer look at this.

Matt Przybylski
12-27-2015, 2:15 PM
I went ahead and reset my rollers to what they were from the factory (or as close to it as I could get at least) and as Rod suggested waxed the planer table and the rollers themselves and all seems well now. Thanks Rod!

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2015, 9:02 PM
I went ahead and reset my rollers to what they were from the factory (or as close to it as I could get at least) and as Rod suggested waxed the planer table and the rollers themselves and all seems well now. Thanks Rod!

You're welcome Matt, this is a common problem for new owners. Keep the jointer and planer beds well waxed or use a lubricant such as sold by Felder.

Regards, Rod.