PDA

View Full Version : Supermax 25/50 drum sander

Dan Kopack
12-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have experience with this product? Any opinions?

Susumu Mori
12-25-2015, 1:50 PM
Here is my review; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?226346-Supermax-25-50-review&highlight=supermax.

Since my last comment, 6 more months have past. It excels in two things; table top (too wide for planers) and shop-made veneers (too thin for planers).
The belt tracks true. The parallelism holds well (no adjustment since the initial setup). Quiet, good dust collection, very satisfied.
As mentioned in the earlier post, I thought I would use it for many more applications, but it remains as a single-purpose tool.
The only problem is, it takes so much space for the frequency of the use. This is even so after I added extension tables, which are very useful for large table tops.

So, if you have space (and $), you would not regret.
Oh, also, I'm also happy that I went for the 25-inch model. There are occasions when I really appreciate the wide width.

Dan Kopack
12-26-2015, 8:53 AM
Thank you.

Cary Falk
12-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Dan,
I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago. I put it together last week. I had a Grizzly 18/36 before. I haven't ran anything through it yet but I turned it on and it is so quiet. The build quality is there. It does not take up much more room than my 18/36. I bought the infeed and outfeed tables but haven't put them on yet. They are currently being stored in the cabinet. The wheels are worthless unless you need to go in a straight line. I slightly modified my mobile base I had on the 18/36 and removed the wheels from the Supermax. Just looking it over it looks like it will be very easy to adjust the table parallel to the drum. I only wished the conveyor belt went to the end of the drum. I think there is 6" or so on the end that is supported by a rollered extension table instead of the belt. I sanding panels it won't be an issue. If I am sanding small things I won't be able to sue the whole drum equally. With that being said, I would buy it in a heartbeat again.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/20151218_152321_zpsgvfjbz45.jpg

Dan Kopack
12-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Great, thanks for info. Will look to add mobile base.

Bill McNiel
12-26-2015, 1:51 PM
Dan,
I purchased a "used" 25/50 about a year ago, the previous owner had envisioned making cutting boards in his retirement and then discovered that he was highly allergic to sawdust. I did a lot of research and believe the SuperMax to be superior to its competitors. It is very solid, quiet, belt changes are easy enough to encourage moving up through appropriate grits, dust collection is great, the wheels are horrible - make your own base and get the extension tables. It has been a great addition to my shop and is used quite frequently.

Dan Kopack
12-27-2015, 9:19 AM
Will be ordering tomorrow , thanks for all the input.

glenn bradley
12-27-2015, 9:25 AM
Great, thanks for info. Will look to add mobile base.

You can offset the biig footprint by adding a base that will store a variety of things. This base let me eliminate other fixtures and takes up a smaller footprint than the machine (although this is a 19/38).

327970 . 327971 . 327972

The top and bottom are torsion box construction to support the weight with a frame-less format carcass.

Dan Kopack
12-27-2015, 6:28 PM
Very nice, thanks

Jay Rasmussen
12-27-2015, 9:10 PM
Outstanding work Glenn. Great use of space.