PDA

View Full Version : Glass Etching

Andrew Kertesz
12-25-2015, 9:13 AM
Anybody done any glass etching? Any suggestions? This is something totally new to my wheelhouse and not something I plan on doing a lot. Just need to do a one time project.

Perry Holbrook
12-25-2015, 9:51 AM
While there are etching creams that claim to do the job, sand blasting is by far the best method. Very easy and quick. When I teach in my studio, we do a quick little project, just to add variety.

Perry

Stan Calow
12-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Andrew they have small kits for glass etching at Hobby Lobby. I tried it once with mixed success. Get a book on the subject first.

John K Jordan
12-25-2015, 2:00 PM
Anybody done any glass etching? Any suggestions? This is something totally new to my wheelhouse and not something I plan on doing a lot. Just need to do a one time project.

Andrew,

I did a lot of this maybe 40 years ago. I etched flat glass, bottles, canisters, etc.

I used a grit-blasting method with the silicon carbide grit from an auto parts supplier sold for cleaning spark plugs. It uses compressed air to leave a smooth frosted surface on the glass.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of results but I did dig out my equipment a few years ago, made a diagram of the assembly, and took a few photos. A nozzle directs air directly upwards through a supply of grit in a hopper. The glass is held against hole in the hopper cover, a flexible top made from a piece of thick foam rubber. The grit etches the glass then bounces back into the hopper. A paper stencil is applied to the glass with double-sided tape. The flexibility of the tape and paper protects all glass except for the pattern. This is capable of defining very thin lines since the the grit is fine. It will do as large a pattern as desired, one overlapped area at a time.

How it's made:

The procedure:
- Draw the pattern on a piece of typing paper (these days we'd call that printer paper!)
- Fasten the paper tightly to the glass with a continuous adhesive surface made from strips of double-sided masking tape.
- Cut out the pattern with an Xacto knife to make the stencil.
- Position a part of the work over the hole in the blaster, hold tight, and turn on the air.
- Turn off the air, move to an un-etched spot to the blast hole and repeat.

Pictures of blaster with hopper:

I used a 2" thick piece of foam rubber with a hole cut in the middle over the nozzle for the upper pad. I made the hole to hold a baby food jar snugly to keep the mice out and the grit in when not in use. I mounted it in a hole on a larger piece of plywood so I could clamp it to a work surface.

This was easy to build and works extremely well. I've forgotten all about it but I might just dig it out and play again!

It's also good for cleaning spark plugs! I made a hole to fit a spark plug in a small piece of thin plywood.

I don't know if it's worth your time building this for just a project or two. If you lived near East Tennessee you could use mine. Or you might just use a sand-blasting gun with the grit. Wear gloves and safety glasses and respirator!!!!

JKJ

Shawn Pixley
12-25-2015, 2:29 PM
I have etched with Hydrofluoric Acid, but I do not recommend that method to anyone but a chemist. Go sandblast method

Bradley Gray
12-26-2015, 9:42 AM
I seem to remember that hyde glue can etch glass - the glue bond is strong enough that as it shrinks it etches the surface.

Perry Holbrook
12-26-2015, 11:43 AM
It's called "glue chip". Google it.

Perry

Kev Williams
12-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Interesting looking at all the pics above-- but for a 'one time job', have you considered just having someone laser etch your project? Probably save a ton of time and money in the long run...

Gordon Eyre
12-26-2015, 1:57 PM
My local glass shop sells etched glass in several patterns. They will also take orders for custom work. I have found this the easiest way to go for a one time project.

alan miller
12-30-2015, 5:56 PM
I use a blaster that looks like an air brush from Badger and uses aluminum oxide powder.It works like a mini sandblaster.I use plain black electrical tape to mask
with and just cut out the design with an exato knife.The tape cuts clean and the blast media wont bleed under the tape edge.