PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Windsor Design bench chisels

Clay Parrish
12-24-2015, 11:37 PM
I saw a bunch of Windsor Design bench chisels at Harbor Freight last week (6 for $10). I passed, but later got to thinking about the Aldi chisels and wondered whether these were also any good. Today they were all gone. Has anyone used them?

Jim Koepke
12-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Just looking at those on line makes me think they might be worth it if someone wants a beater set of chisels or something to try making a fishtail, skew chisel or any other experimental purpose.

My wife and I were in the Harbor Freight the other day looking for a saw blade for her stone saw. I saw boxed sets of Windsor chisels. I thought they were all lathe tools. Though currently I am not looking for anything like this. I did recently by a set of 3 chisels for $2.99 to see how they are.

jtk

Clay Parrish
12-25-2015, 12:40 AM
The clamshell packaging says 'new', so these may be recent additions. I have heard reasonably good things about their lathe offerings.

Robert G Brown
12-25-2015, 3:48 AM
I bought the carbon steel ones (#60654) about 10 years ago when I first got into woodworking. For the price they are great. Compared to other sets they are fair. Since this first set I have bought Footprint, Vintage Stanley, Narex and others. I learned how to sharpen (hand & mechanized) on these hf chisels. I have much more expensive Japanese chisels and glad for the skills acquired sharpening the hf chisels. Until earlier this year, I used the hf chisels first. It would last 5 to 15 minutes then I would grab the same size from another set and keep going. The hf set sharpens fast and easy. They are inexpensive enough to practice different ways of sharpening and experiment with different bevels. Now I use these hf chisels for things I don't want to use the better chisels on. I think they make a good first set.

Tony Zaffuto
12-25-2015, 7:36 AM
Just looking at those on line makes me think they might be worth it if someone wants a beater set of chisels or something to try making a fishtail, skew chisel or any other experimental purpose.

My wife and I were in the Harbor Freight the other day looking for a saw blade for her stone saw. I saw boxed sets of Windsor chisels. I thought they were all lathe tools. Though currently I am not looking for anything like this. I did recently by a set of 3 chisels for $2.99 to see how they are.

jtk

About a half dozen years ago, I picked up a set of HF Windsor design lathe tools-HSS. Worked great, some I kept as is, some I re-ground to other profiles. Think they cost almost $10 or $12 for 6!

Terry Hatfield
12-25-2015, 8:40 AM
Quote from the first review of the chisels on the HF site....

"I came home one day to find my wife in the garage (where she doesn't belong) using one of my good Marples chisel to open a paint can (and they wonder why we die first)."

Frederick Skelly
12-25-2015, 9:36 AM

"I came home one day to find my wife in the garage (where she doesn't belong) using one of my good Marples chisel to open a paint can (and they wonder why we die first)."

If they'd been LN chisels, she'd​ be dead first! ☺

Zach Dillinger
12-25-2015, 9:52 AM

Reminds me of the time I found my wife trimming a tree with my beloved Wenzloff half-back... My shop is now kept totally locked down at all times when I am not in it. I had an absolute apoplectic fit when I saw that.