PDA

View Full Version : Lidded oak bowl dyed black with two lids

Bob Bergstrom
12-24-2015, 8:43 PM
I was given a kiln dried piece oak. Then I turned another lidded bowl from it. I turned a lid that I dyed a deep red and applied gold wax to the pores. My wife and daughter didn't care for it. Rather than sand it off I turned another and dyed it black. It seems that the wood I'm using for the lid has more open pores and the gold is more privalent in the lid than the bowl. I may try some black wax to tone it down.

John Keeton
12-25-2015, 5:30 AM
Bob, I wonder if the bowl and lids are different oaks - red and white. Sometimes they react quite differently with dye.

Aside from your consistently excellent work on turning and form, I don't particularly care for these combinations. I would much prefer a natural lid for the black bowl. The addition of gold in the oak is a bit much with the very prominent grain.

Bob Bergstrom
12-25-2015, 10:24 AM
John, they are both reds, but the bowl grain orientation isn't as flat as it is in the lids. The lids were from a 1" board and the pores were much more open in appearance.

cody michael
12-26-2015, 9:21 PM
Normally I'm not a big fan of dyed wood, but I really like both of those, I do agree the black is better.

Bill Boehme
12-26-2015, 10:14 PM
I think that perhaps you might have too many different design elements fighting one another for attention. There's the beads around the outer perimeter. There's the dyed lid with grain pores filled with colored wax. And, finally, there's the knob that has a lot or ornate treatment with beads. Sometimes less is more . . . . . uh . . . . more or less . . . . . if you know what I mean. :D

EDIT: Are you sure that's oak? It sure does look like ash to me. White oaks don't have open pores like that and the grain pattern doesn't look like red oak. Also, I don't see any medullary rays.

Bob Bergstrom
12-27-2015, 8:13 AM
I think that perhaps you might have too many different design elements fighting one another for attention. There's the beads around the outer perimeter. There's the dyed lid with grain pores filled with colored wax. And, finally, there's the knob that has a lot or ornate treatment with beads. Sometimes less is more . . . . . uh . . . . more or less . . . . . if you know what I mean. :D

EDIT: Are you sure that's oak? It sure does look like ash to me. White oaks don't have open pores like that and the grain pattern doesn't look like red oak. Also, I don't see any medullary rays.
Diffinately red oak. Bought 300 BF from a hard wood luumber dealer. The lids are flat sawn and the board was 12" wide.

Doug Herzberg
12-27-2015, 9:54 AM
Well I'm going to disagree with everyone. My first impression on seeing the small photos was that this is an interesting technique that might have potential, but there's nothing special in this case. Reading John's comments made me click on each photo, which lead me to the conclusion that your wife and daughter were right about the red. While I can imagine the plain lid John suggested, I think what you have with the black lid is very nice. John is right that the turning and form are excellent. I don't think the knob is too much and the entire package is something very special. Thanks for posting, Bob.

Thom Sturgill
12-27-2015, 10:03 AM
While I do like the black one, I would agree with Bill Boehme that you have too many design elements vying for attention. The beads are a design element best used to enhance a plain grained wood or to highlight a joint. Highly figured wood, or wood that's dyed and filled as this is, are better shown in plain turnings without other design elements to draw attention away.

All that said, they display fine craftsmanship.

John Keeton
12-27-2015, 2:23 PM
I find these type of threads interesting, as I think we (woodturners, artists, etc.) view things thru a different eye than the general public. It would be much more meaningful if there was a way to post pieces on a forum for general public comment so we could get a feel for what the rest of the world likes. I realize that happens in the way of sales vs no sales, but that data is not easily assimilated or available.

Bob Bergstrom
12-27-2015, 5:16 PM
Here is a cherry bowl with primarily the same beads and shape. It is hard to compete with nature, we need to develope our skill and eye for what appeals to ourselves and what others may also like.