PDA

View Full Version : How does the rest of the world buy hardwood?

Walter Plummer
12-24-2015, 3:41 PM
I posed this question to Fine Woodworking a couple of years ago and got a response from one of the editors that they wanted to use it for an article. I have never seen it but I might have missed it. So to my question, is there a metric "board foot"? I had forgotten about it until today I went and picked up some cherry for my brother. Anyone? Thanks.

John Lankers
12-24-2015, 5:24 PM
In Europe lumber is traded in cubic meter if I remember correctly. In Austria and Germany firewood is traded in "Raummeter" (1m x 1m x 1m) under the same criteria as cord wood. Unsawn trees are sold in "Festmeter" where the volume of the round log is measured in cubic meters.
Old, outdated units of measure are still being used in some regions, they are not legal for trade though.

Wade Lippman
12-24-2015, 7:34 PM
There are about 370 board feet to a cubic meter. That seems awkward.

John TenEyck
12-24-2015, 8:06 PM
Europeans think the same about board feet. Meters are divisible by 10. Feet by 12. Which seems more awkward?

John

Wade Lippman
12-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Cubic meters are no inherently awkward, but buying lumber by them seems like it is. Buying 0.043m3 at $2,000/m3?

Jamie Buxton
12-24-2015, 11:50 PM
Yeah, cubic meter is a basic metric unit of volume. However, it is an industrial-sized unit. That's why the liter is a common unit of volume measurement in metric countries: it is a nicer size. You can handle a liter of milk.

That said, I don't know what units small-shop woodworkers use in metric lands. Somehow buying wood by the liter doesn't seem likely..

Rod Sheridan
12-25-2015, 1:15 PM
There are about 370 board feet to a cubic meter. That seems awkward.

The board foot is the awkward measurement, a cubic meter is a nice easy dimension to work with as it's multiples of 10 from other volume measurements.

The board foot is related by 144 or 12 from other Imperial volume measurements, not very convenient..........Rod.

Jamie Buxton
12-25-2015, 3:56 PM
The board foot is the awkward measurement, a cubic meter is a nice easy dimension to work with as it's multiples of 10 from other volume measurements.

The board foot is related by 144 or 12 from other Imperial volume measurements, not very convenient..........Rod.

So, Rod, you live in a metric country, and you can answer the OP's question. If you buy a board at your local hardwood dealer, does he ring you up for .0212 of a cubic meter, or some such?

Roy Harding
12-25-2015, 6:38 PM
So, Rod, you live in a metric country, and you can answer the OP's question. If you buy a board at your local hardwood dealer, does he ring you up for .0212 of a cubic meter, or some such?
I live in the same metric country that Rod does. I buy my rough lumber by the bdft.

Martin Wasner
12-25-2015, 8:25 PM
It's all just a measuring stick. I find the single unit French system infuriating, but I'm used to working with fractions and the ease of doing math in my head. I'm also in the minority on that one and alright with that.

Justin Ludwig
12-26-2015, 7:24 AM
It's all just a measuring stick. I find the single unit French system infuriating, but I'm used to working with fractions and the ease of doing math in my head. I'm also in the minority on that one and alright with that.
Agreed. And if the math gets stupid, I have construction master pro on my phone. If the US decided overnight that we're changing to metric, I'd just go buy new tapes for all my tools. Then I'd take solice in knowing my hired help won't have face implosions when I ask them to divide or multiple measurements.

Gary Yoder
12-26-2015, 7:50 AM
Agreed. And if the math gets stupid, I have construction master pro on my phone. If the US decided overnight that we're changing to metric, I'd just go buy new tapes for all my tools. Then I'd take solice in knowing my hired help won't have face implosions when I ask them to divide or multiple measurements.

I wish wish wish we could go to metric. so much simpler...

Martin Wasner
12-26-2015, 8:47 AM

Too simple though. I'm not a fan of only having the meter to measure things. Plus decimals are really hard to do in your head since units of ten don't give you too many friendly fractions.

Cody Colston
12-26-2015, 9:04 AM
[QUOTE=Justin Ludwig;2508052] If the US decided overnight that we're changing to metric, I'd just go buy new tapes for all my tools. QUOTE]

I wouldn't change a thing if we officially went to metric overnight. I would still think in board feet and in feet, inches and fractions for measurement. I have a metric tape but in the shop, I can tell at a glance the measurement on my imperial tape measures.

I would also like to know how woodworkers in metric countries buy their lumber, especially small amounts.

Wade Lippman
12-26-2015, 11:05 AM

Oh, so do I. It would cut the cost of our imports, make our exports more competitive, and make life so much easier. Can you imagine only needing one set of wrenches, or never again having to look up how many tablespoons there were in a pint?

I thought in 1973, when they started selling gasoline in liters, that it might be the beginning of our joining the rest of the world; but we all know how that worked out.

Gotta fight the urge to get political here.

John TenEyck
12-26-2015, 3:39 PM

Nothing is preventing you from going metric. Just do it.

John

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2015, 9:05 PM

Jamie, I wish I lived in a metric country, I live in a country that got stalled half way through the conversion.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the archaic board foot.........Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2015, 9:08 PM
Too simple though. I'm not a fan of only having the meter to measure things. Plus decimals are really hard to do in your head since units of ten don't give you too many friendly fractions.

Hi, most woodworking is measured in the millimeter, which is a really nice sized unit, a bit bigger than 1/32".

Years ago I went metric for furniture design/construction, I find it much easier to use than fractional inches.........Regards, Rod.

Martin Wasner
12-27-2015, 9:15 PM
Hi, most woodworking is measured in the millimeter, which is a really nice sized unit, a bit bigger than 1/32".

Years ago I went metric for furniture design/construction, I find it much easier to use than fractional inches.........Regards, Rod.

A millimeter is just a thousandth of a meter, not a separate unit.

I just like the math, I can add 13.875 and 5.4375 in my head quickly and easily because they are easy fractions. Change them by a tiny bit and I need to do it long hand or with a calculator.