PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut dovetails with this saw?

David Masters
12-24-2015, 1:37 PM
327843 327844

Okay, probably not, but received this gift from my children who pooled their money to give me the above saw for Christmas. I was touched that they gave me something that reflected my interest rather than something like a neck cooler. And I wouldn't think of trying to return or exchange the saw for this reason. But other than removing a sequoia in the yard (and I have yet to find one in Illinois), is there anything I can use this saw for in the shop?

Dave

Patrick Chase
12-24-2015, 1:51 PM
327843 327844

Okay, probably not, but received this gift from my children who pooled their money to give me the above saw for Christmas. I was touched that they gave me something that reflected my interest rather than something like a neck cooler. And I wouldn't think of trying to return or exchange the saw for this reason. But other than removing a sequoia in the yard (and I have yet to find one in Illinois), is there anything I can use this saw for in the shop?

Dave

Unlikely. That's a (very nice) 3 tpi crosscut saw.

Nick Stokes
12-24-2015, 2:05 PM
Maybe you could build one of these?

Bruce Page
12-24-2015, 2:09 PM
Make a nice frame for it and call it shop art.

Tom M King
12-24-2015, 2:13 PM
on a log cabin.

David Masters
12-24-2015, 3:02 PM
Ugh! I was afraid of that.

Dave

glenn bradley
12-24-2015, 3:06 PM
How about, "You know I almost got one of these for myself but, I decided to go a different way and would love to trade it in on a <your dream saw here>". If people truly want to get me something I want or will use I have no problem telling them what that might be. If they miss the mark they will be a lot happier if I am straight with them and use what they gave me to get something I will really use.

Reinis Kanders
12-24-2015, 5:07 PM
I like that bench, funky joinery.

Maybe you could build one of these?

Stanley Covington
12-24-2015, 8:36 PM
It would be the perfect saw for feeding a woodstove to keep your shop warm during the Belleville winters. I don't have one, but a friend in central Ohio has an old pot belly stove in his shop (possibly in violation of the EPA's nonsense regulations), and he says it is very helpful in keeping his shop both warm and free of sawdust and scrap wood.

I should add that a heat source is very useful for straightening warped wood. I have used an hibachi to straighten shoji lattice and even frame and panel rails and stiles.

I guess the key thing is for the stove to be tightly sealed so there is no possibility of creating a house fire. I need to watch my hibachi like a paranoid hawk, and so don't use it often. A metal stove would be better.

Anyone else have stoves in their shops?

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?238963-Can-I-cut-dovetails-with-this-saw)

Nicholas Lawrence
12-24-2015, 9:35 PM
I have a old Disston similar to that. It is on the list of things to restore. They are more useful for breaking down large stuff, but are not much use in a typical shop.

Gary Cunningham
12-24-2015, 10:09 PM
You could REALLY BIG dt's with it.
:)

Don Jarvie
12-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Go buy a LN tenon saw and you'll be all set.

Padraig Maloney
12-25-2015, 12:49 AM
You could send it out to me - I could use one of those beasts in my day job.

;)

Allan Speers
12-25-2015, 1:20 AM
David, in all seriousness:

While this wouldn't be worth it to anyone else, given the specific circumstances here: Why not see if someone on this forum could cut it down for you, and then cut new teeth? It still might not be a candidate for "the perfect" dovetail saw (OK, it WON'T) but it could surely be turned into a very nice fine-toothed c-cut saw, or maybe even a good miter saw.

It would still have the same handle & the same etching, and your kids would get to see you actually using it. That would be worth whatever it costs to have it re-cut.

Dave Parkis
12-25-2015, 8:31 AM
If it were me, I would explain to my kids that the saw is too big to use on the things I want to make for them and see if I could exchange it.

Mike Holbrook
12-25-2015, 9:17 AM
It is a sign that you need to go ahead and get started on your log cabin retreat in the mountains! I'm trying to find mine too.

Frederick Skelly
12-25-2015, 9:30 AM
If it were me, I would explain to my kids that the saw is too big to use on the things I want to make for them and see if I could exchange it.

Dave has the right of it. They pooled their money - they want you to have something that you will use. I'd have the conversation instead of just putting this on the wall of the shop and sayin 'my kids gave me that'.

Paul Bent
12-25-2015, 9:48 AM
I think I would go cut down some tree branches with it and carve the kids up some wooden spoons. Then everyone has a good war story regarding the saw and it becomes something special. You can always go buy your own "other" saw. I'm afraid that if you would bring up changing it out, then it might accidently become somewhat distasteful. Who knows.

Ron Bontz
12-25-2015, 10:37 PM
I would keep it as it was a gift from the heart. There will come a day when they (remember when) they bought that for Dad.
2nd) When we knock down rough dimensions or cut off pieces of longer lumber, how smooth does the cut really need to be? :):)
Best wishes and happy holidays to all.

Don Orr
12-25-2015, 11:01 PM
That's a really nice saw-I could use one like that for my trail work. Sorry but no help on the gift situation. Tough call either way.

Leigh Betsch
12-26-2015, 12:46 AM
I would keep it as it was a gift from the heart. There will come a day when they (remember when) they bought that for Dad.
2nd) When we knock down rough dimensions or cut off pieces of longer lumber, how smooth does the cut really need to .

this is it

mark kosse
12-26-2015, 9:05 AM
Keep it. It beats the crap outa the Craftsman pajamas I got.:)

Juergen Mueller
12-27-2015, 12:44 PM
keep it. the more tools you have the more problems you can solve.

Bill Rhodus
12-27-2015, 9:11 PM
i use a vintage version for pruning trees and shrubs in my yard. much better than the cheap bow saws.

Nick Stokes
12-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Exchange it for a saw you can actually use. There is no way they won't understand, and probably appreciate that.

Patrick Chase
12-27-2015, 10:21 PM
I've avoided this thread since the start, but what the heck: Do whatever is congruent to your family's gifting customs :).

The WORST thing you can possibly do is pay heed to advice from random people who likely come from completely different traditions...

Brian Henderson
12-27-2015, 10:24 PM
You can cut dovetails with anything. The question is can you cut GOOD dovetails and the answer is probably no. :)