PDA

View Full Version : HEPA Filter for upright Vacuum Cleaners: WHY can't they be washed?

Clarence Martin
12-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Got a new Hoover Upright Vacuum Cleaner. It's got the HEPA Filter. That filter runs anywhere from 12 to $22.00 , depending on where you buy it. The manual says don't wash it.

Question: WHY can't the HEPA filter on a Hoover Upright bagless Vacuum Cleaner be washed with just plain water, and let it air dry for 24 hours ?

Lee Schierer
12-24-2015, 2:53 PM
Probably because any dirt would turn to mud and block the pores when it dries.

Wade Lippman
12-24-2015, 2:57 PM
Nothing lost by trying. Let us know how it works out for you.

Ole Anderson
12-24-2015, 3:43 PM
I am probably on my third bag on our Eureka "The Boss" smart vac upright and the HEPA filter still looks like new.

Dan Hintz
12-24-2015, 4:06 PM
You typically improve the filtration of a filter by leaving it somewhat dirty (not caked on, mind you)... percussive cleaning is usually the suggested method.

Kev Williams
12-24-2015, 4:41 PM
percussive cleaning, aka smacking it on the driveway :)

I also follow my percussive cleaning with reverse motion rapid moving nitrogen enriched oxygen molecules, aka I blow it out with an air hose ;)

It's exactly how I clean my $1 furnace filters every month. Or three. And the AC coils above the furnace are always nice & clean.

Clarence Martin
12-24-2015, 5:01 PM
You typically improve the filtration of a filter by leaving it somewhat dirty (not caked on, mind you)... percussive cleaning is usually the suggested method.

"Percussive Cleaning." Now, that's a term I never heard of ! . :D

Pat Barry
12-24-2015, 5:29 PM
Take your shop vac to it. That along with the banging on the driveway will get er dun!

Myk Rian
12-24-2015, 7:24 PM
Question: WHY can't the HEPA filter on a Hoover Upright bagless Vacuum Cleaner be washed with just plain water, and let it air dry for 24 hours ?

Probably because any dirt would turn to mud and block the pores when it dries.
After it dries? How will that make mud?

Dan Hintz
12-27-2015, 12:08 PM
After it dries? How will that make mud?

Mud rarely turns back into individual congealed giganto particles of dirt once it dries out. You can ruin a good filter that way.