PDA

View Full Version : Worms!

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-05-2005, 6:41 PM
Or beetles, or whatever they are. :mad:

I just happened to look at the underside of my sideboard top, and noticed the little piles in the drawers. :mad: Now, I oughta know better...because I saw the teensy pinholes in the sliver of sapwood I couldn't afford to cut out...but I soaked the area with RAID and filled the teensy holes with epoxy. To no avail. :( So this afernoon I got the grinder out and made a big ol' vee cut in the bottom of the top...soaked the RAID in there again, and filled her up with epoxy. I don't see any bubbles, and I'd assume the little critters would be breathing if I missed some...so I might be in good shape this time.

Lesson for future mesquite workers: Don't listen to that crap the sawyer tells you about how kiln drying kills the bugs...because there's probably only two places in all of Texas that have a 'proper' kiln and know how to use it. If you see the pinholes, assume the worst. :mad:

KC

Mike Mastin
09-05-2005, 6:52 PM
I quit trying to sell it. Too many issues with PPB, borers and of course "shake". I just gave up.:(

Steve Stube
09-05-2005, 8:12 PM
Let them eat until you have the worm effect you want then bag the project and pull a vacuum. I'm guessing they need air to survive.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-05-2005, 9:22 PM
Since most of my work is small, when I see worm tracks, holes, etc., I place the little suckers, still in the wood, in the microwave. 2 minutes @ 20% three or four times "cooks" them into crispy critters without hurting the wood!
.............................MMMMMMMMMMMMMM..MMMMM MMMM GOOD!

Bruce ;)

Scott Parks
09-05-2005, 10:14 PM
So, when you buy wormy ambrosia maple from the lumber store, can I assume that the critters are still in there?

Jim Young
09-05-2005, 10:30 PM
If it's kiln dried they should at least be dead.

Ian Abraham
09-06-2005, 7:07 AM
The bugs that chew into green / live timber are different species from the powderpost beetles (borer) that infest dry timber. The first ones will be killed off when the timber dries, but that leaves an oportunity for the PPBs to move in. Kiln drying at a high enough temp will kill any bug, but it wont stop PPBs from moving into the dry wood at a later date. :(

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-06-2005, 7:29 AM
The bugs that chew into green / live timber are different species from the powderpost beetles (borer) that infest dry timber. The first ones will be killed off when the timber dries, but that leaves an oportunity for the PPBs to move in. Kiln drying at a high enough temp will kill any bug, but it wont stop PPBs from moving into the dry wood at a later date. :(

This is an excellent point...and I'm ashamed to admit it never would've occurred to me. :o

Maurice Ungaro
09-06-2005, 8:27 AM
Kirk,
You need to check out Tim-Bor. A good product that arrests fungi and bugs.

John Bush
09-06-2005, 9:16 AM
Good morning all,
I have several hundred bdft of walnut, spalted maple, and some cherry that was stored for over 30 years in a dry hay loft in the midwest. It stayed dry but was exposed to the ambient temp/humidity swings. There is lots of evidence on powderpost beetles but I always thought they needed moisture to infest dry wood. I now have it all stored in my climate controlled shop but now I,m concerned I'll come home tonight and see all my tools exposed and surrounded by a pile of fine dust and a bunch of swolleen bellied beetles. There is too much fine dust on all surfaces in the shop to see new piles from live critters so how else can you sample for activity??
Thanks, John.