PDA

View Full Version : that's why they call it LABOR DAY !!

Tony Falotico
09-05-2005, 6:30 PM
Had a fun time yesterday and today in the workshop. My Son-in-law is opening a new retail store next month, so he was up here and asking if I could help him build tables to store and display product on. He is going for a 'classy' warehouse type atmosphere. The table is sized to display the product at a height that labels can be read easily, the space underneath is for storage of cases (this product sells individually and by case). It had to be relatively inexpensive to build, somewhat portable, neat and clean in appearance but not 'too fancy'.

Yesterday we built a prototype. It is three basic components, two leg sets and a top. We used standard framing 2x4 and 2x6, laminated, cut and planed to a 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" leg, with a 3/4" plywood dropped into a 2x6 frame and reinforced with 1x3 slats underneath. It will be filled, sanded and painted.

The front and rear opening have no support so cases can be slid in and out. I still have some racking concerns, but he doesn't want the space closed at all, the cases will 'just fit'. Also, we are considering going with 5/8 particle board top, sealed, and painted a solid color, mainly as a cost savings, but also we think it will give smoother surface. I think a nice 1/8" 45 degree bevel (or 1/8" round over ? ) down the edge of each leg would look good.

Attached is a pic of the prototype. The second pic is 9 more he cut today. I'll start assembling a few leg sets each evening (until the clamps run out each day). I'll be sure to have him tell LOML I need more clamps ! :D (Along with another router and circular saw :) :) He learns quickly!)

Thanks for looking, will follow up with more pics as we progress, and hopefully a pic set up and ready to go on opening day. Any comments are welcome, especially on a finish for 'em.

Steve Clardy
09-05-2005, 6:40 PM
Looking good Tony.
Yes, it is labor day. I'm working too. Just another day for me.

Corey Hallagan
09-05-2005, 8:13 PM
Very nice Tony! Another thing you might want to consider for the top is a PB or Plywood top with 1/4 hardboard on top of that. Very nice tough finish that is chocoloate brown in color and wears very well. Just an idea.

Corey