PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Carbide Turning Tools

Alvin Peyton
12-23-2015, 7:55 PM
As I desired to give the "carbide" turning chisels a try some time ago, but was scared away by the price :eek:, I made my own. I made two "mid-size" chisels using 3/8" bar stock and the "name brand" replacement cutters. My $60 to $80 chisels cost me a whopping $18 to $20 each. After using them, and realizing they would forever be a part of my turning future. I decided to step up to the heavy duty 1/2" bar stock full-size chisels, and figured I would shop around a bit for alternate cutters :rolleyes:. BEHOLD!!!! I struck pay dirt!!! :D:D:D AZ Carbide in Chandler, Arizona is my new carbide best friend. I ordered two 15mm square cutters, two 15mm R2 cutters, and one 16mm round cutter for my new projects. The square and radius cutters were less than $6 each and the round was less than $11!!!!!! What a savings, and they were shipped and received in two days for only $2 shipping (if my memory doesn't fade.) Believe me, the quality is absolutely amazing. They include a new screw for each cutter and come in a nice little plastic case for safekeeping. My new chisels, which would cost $80 to $140 each depending on the manufacturer, cost me a whopping $10 to $15 each...bar stock and cutters...and the handles were turned for free from scrap oak I had lying around. All you DIY chisel makers...check them out at www.azcarbide.com (http://www.azcarbide.com) You won't be sorry!!!:)

Peter Blair
12-23-2015, 8:12 PM
I just love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for the link and because of the season, thanks for sharing!

Glen Blanchard
12-23-2015, 8:26 PM
Yep. I also use AZ carbide. Great products and terrific CS!!

Brice Rogers
12-23-2015, 9:14 PM
I also use AZ Carbide. They are a good supplier. I've read that Captain Eddie Castilin is also supplying well-priced carbide cutters.

I've found that I can somewhat re-sharpen the flat cutters (I now only grind the flat top). But they never seem quite as sharp as a new one.

I also bought a lot of square cutters that were intended for spiral planers. I think that I got about 25 for less than $2 apiece - - perhaps a lifetime supply. They are really handy.