PDA

View Full Version : Brass screws

Keith Christopher
09-05-2005, 6:14 PM
Oh how I HATE them. I mean despise them. I was installing some brass hinges and the screws that came with them and you know, I was HAND screwing them in and still many stripped and one the head even broke off. *SIGH*. And to think I'm screwing them into poplar. Sorry I needed to vent.

Earl Reid
09-05-2005, 6:25 PM
Hi Keith, I always run a steel screw in and out a couple times before trying a brass screw.
Earl

Steve Clardy
09-05-2005, 6:41 PM
Hi Keith, I always run a steel screw in and out a couple times before trying a brass screw.
Earl

Good idea.

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 8:22 PM
Yup...when working with brass screws, pre-drill, run a steel screw of the same size in first and then carefully install your brass screw after lubricating the threads with a little paraffin. "Carefully" to avoid both snapping them off and also scratching them by slipping your screw driver.

Keith Christopher
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I of course pre-drilled, however I figured the hole was large enough to make it easily. I didn't think I'd need any paraffin, but I'll try these ideas. Just venting thanks for the input.

Frank Hagan
09-06-2005, 2:22 AM
If you need the brass for looks, you can also use silicon bronze screws. They are quite a bit stronger, but slightly darker. They are used extensively in boat building, and are a bit more expensive. You can find them in small quanitites at chandleries like West Marine or Boat US stores, or on-line at places like McFeeley's or Jamestown Distributors.

Mike Wenzloff
09-06-2005, 2:45 AM
Hi Keith--I feel your pain!

Which is why I have stopped using brass screws (nearly) completely.

I now use appropriately sized brass machine bolts. I tap the holes and oh so easily screw the bolts in. And out. And in--as many times as I need to assemble or dissasemble a project in-the-making.

Lee Valley has some tap/drill sets. Most of the taps and bolts I get from Ace.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40057&cat=3,41306,41330

As they say on the web page, they are stronger than the same size wood screw (I've tested it). I use a lot of Brusso knife hinges and use the bolts in Bubinga without a problem. I use them even in Poplar <g>.

I have a jewlery box right now. Smallest Brusso hinges. The hinges are mortised (of course) into the lid. The lid is only 1/2" thick. Take away a little for the thick Brusso hinge. That would be a short screw. I cannot bust the hinge off using two machine bolts.

Just a thought. I know it reduced my stress level.

Mike

PS. I also made up a PDF chart for drilling/tapping for imperial and metric if anyone is interested.

Elliott Cameron
09-06-2005, 4:06 AM
Yup...when working with brass screws, pre-drill, run a steel screw of the same size in first and then carefully install your brass screw after lubricating the threads with a little paraffin. "Carefully" to avoid both snapping them off and also scratching them by slipping your screw driver.

DIDO here. After many near ruined projects... I figured this out too.

This is the ONLY way to consistently use BRASS screws without going insane !!!!

Elliott FLA....USA

Mike Cutler
09-06-2005, 5:15 AM
Keith and others. The only quality brass screws that I know of, are made by Lawson. I just got done using some #12's and had no problems, and they were flatheads to boot.
I don't buy the 'borg screws any longer, too frustrating.

Elliott Cameron
09-06-2005, 8:40 AM
I get all my BRASS from the friendly folks at ACE ! These actually have some weight to 'em. Unlike the light , soft junk they sell at the Big Boxes.
Elliott

Keith Hooks
09-06-2005, 9:59 AM
I feel your pain. I had two screw heads break completely off after the screws were almost completely installed. I had to use one of those hollow screw extractors to remove the material and glue in a dowel filler. Instead of using a steel screw, I found a steel hook (like you'd hang keys on) with a #6 thread on it. That way I just screwed it in by hand and It worked really well. I still put some bee's wax on the brass before I installed them. No more problems after that.

luke bronco
10-30-2005, 7:53 PM
sound like every one hates Brass now BUt its not so much the material as it is the manufacture process as we all know most fasteners come from china or over seas like the ones you find at home depot. be carefull about buying screws from distrubuters as they offen just import why pay more and get the same crap anyway if you looking for GOOD screw give Goulet Specialties a call they do reasonably small qtys like 100 and you know there made in the usa in connecticut. the material could be anything you choose as well not stuck to wat some one carries in stock as well as any drive style. Im partial to a 6-lobe ot torxs drive never slips and makes a nice looking screw. anywho .. beware of roll thread wood screws espacial in brass and go with cut thread heres that site good pics of cut thread screws too
lets all give brass a chance it looks so nice
Luke

P.S. pilot hole size chart there as well :)