PDA

View Full Version : Power Switch

Charles P. Wright
12-23-2015, 9:18 AM
I've built a router table into my Sawstop extension; and I mounted a safety power switch in a box on the leg:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W17HYY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It works, and I like the large paddle for turning it off; but find the push button to turn it on just slightly annoying, and find myself wanting to pull out the paddle to turn it on (as with the Sawstop). I did some searching; but haven't found one that seems the same. The Jessem/Kreg ones have a pull switch it looks like, but they are very small; I want to be able to just mash the paddle to turn the machine off without having to hunt around for it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charles

Keith Weber
12-23-2015, 9:36 AM
How about just a regular old switch? If you still wanted to be able to have a quick stop, you could mount an emergency stop mushroom switch into the hot line and mount it wherever you wanted. Depending on the complexity of the mushroom switch, it may not give you magnetic protection for power out/popped breaker situations, just in case you long for that sort of thing.

Tom M King
12-23-2015, 9:38 AM
You'll get used to it, and not even think about it. I have those on several machines.

Wade Lippman
12-23-2015, 12:03 PM
I have the same switch on my router table. The awkward green button it to prevent you from turning it on accidentally. Learn to appreciate it.

Tom Deutsch
12-23-2015, 2:18 PM
This general format (easy off, difficult on) has been an industrial standard for years. My brain doesn't always keep up with my body, so I appreciate having something that forces me to make a conscious choice to turn on a rotating blade. I'd call it "well enough," myself!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2015, 2:53 PM
Charles....they are designed to be somewhat a pain to turn on for a reason......so the operator doesn't accidentally turn it on but it's easy to turn it off. In this day of so many court cases, safety overrides ease of operation.

Charles P. Wright
12-23-2015, 9:54 PM
Sounds like the right answer is that I'll just get used to it after a while. Though I do very much like the SawStop switch; which I find feels very solid and easy to turn both on and off.

Thanks guys,
Charles

Ruperto Mendiones
12-24-2015, 12:48 AM
You could wire a sawstop switch and have the same ergonomics as the saw itself.

glenn bradley
12-24-2015, 8:46 AM
You'll get used to it, and not even think about it. I have those on several machines.

Ditto. The Saw Stop is the one I used to have to think about. I have switches similar to what you show on mt RT and other machines. After a few days, its all normal.